Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64965 04/03/08 03:36 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
OP Offline

I actually posted this on the forum on Mon Aug 05 2002

But since that's outside the search range it's often missed.

Today I put the PhotoReading Whole Mind System to a test. This Test put me on par with beginning PhotoReaders who have poor comprehension of the written material and/or slow readers.

The Experiment
To test PhotoReading on material where my comprehension is low 20% or less by using the regular reading method. I wanted to spend only 2 hours activating this book at this time.

The Book Signale des Koerpers by Vera Birkenbihl 264 pages including index. It is a book on body language that consists of mostly text with a few graphics.

Background
My background in reading this language I am whole and solely educated in Australia. English is the language. I studied German during 2 years of high school. Years 9 and 10 I did not complete year 10 studies due to the fact that my school failed to enrol me for the course till midyear of year 9. I studied via correspondence the lessons consisted of about 6 pages of exercises per week and included the study of culture and geography.

I have only read 3 books targeted toward the 12 to year old age group other than using the 2 exercise books that were provided by the school. Neither the school nor my parents could afford additional books. Since leaving school 24 years ago I have only occasionally read the German language in small blocks. My most challenging reading selection during that time was the 12 Lucky Luke books that were translated to the German language. My attempt to read books aimed at the adult market failed. It took me over 2 hours to get though about 40 pages and I had little or no understanding of the text so I haven't bothered since.

My Handicap
I had not PhotoRead a German dictionary. The only dictionaries I have are translation ones. This I decided was not suitable since I do not translate as I intended to read and think in solely in the German language.

I have never successfully completed a book targeted at the adult/thinking market and this book contains a lot of constructed words. That I could recognise when spoken easily enough however I have never seen them in their written form.

Since many of the words are unfamiliar to me in their written form I need to sub vocalise them as I read them to understand what I am reading during activation. I had no idea what to expect during the superread and dip page.
I was now faced with some problems common to beginning PhotoReaders.

1. I was worried about how successful I was going to be with this project. When I first ordered the book I was excited but when the book finally arrived (2 months later) my initial enthusiasm had more or less gone. I suffered from procrastination for wanting to attempt to activate the book after having PhotoRead it almost 1 week ago.

2.I was apprehensive about the superread and dip stage. I really was at a lost how I am going to know when to dip. There were 7 to 8 different fonts used and differing sizes of text there is some sort of code in that I am at a lost to explain.

3. My comprehension is low even with regular reading...
Well all these thoughts I had sat the book at the table and was ready to procrastinate a while longer It was such a nice day today... blue sky warm
While sitting at the table looking at the book my procrastinating part of the mind final screamed and said ok just do it.

The Result
Activation - time 2 hours.
Comprehension - 70% (I had a questionnaire within the book were I surprised myself scoring 70%)
Mind mapping max 30 minutes
Breaks totalled 20 minutes
Total time say 3 hours 70% comprehension
Compared to regular reading gaining about 20% comprehension would have taken me 13.5 hours

Method of Activation Applied

1st 20 minutes
Unable to form suitable questions from my trigger words so I SR and dipped whenever I thought I found something of interest. I noticed that overall most of the information was eluding me but saw this as a way of becoming familiar with the book and perhaps finding questions.
Surprisingly enough I had something to start putting onto a mind map immediately and I noticed straight away that my mind map had been modified... I was using lines to connect idea and making bulleted point lists. This seemed to be the most logical way for me to record my information.

2nd 20-minute session
I turned the subheads into questions and did this as a on the go basis... some of the subheads were answered immediately in that I understood what it was about and bypassed that. Some of it was starting to make sense. Since I was taking it subhead by subhead it turned out that I was now activating the book chapter by chapter.

I added some more to the mind map using a different coloured pen and took a 5-minute break.

3rd session
Same method as before and it proved to be a good move to be activating the book chapter by chapter at this point. The material detailing what I learnt in the previous 20 minutes and was able to clear up some of my uncertainties.

Added more to mind map and took 15-minute break.

4th 20 minutes
While going though one part of this book I came across some information that made absolutely no sense. I made a note of it on my mind map and kept going. At the end of 20 minutes I made notes on the mind map.

5th 20 minute
I didn't stop for a break since I felt that I was on a roll. Went back over the part I didn't understand the last session and checked it again in less than 1 minute I had made sense of it. Continued with SR and dipping, by now my mind map is getting a bit cramped.

6th 20 minutes last one
Since I had to start a new page for mind mapping I was glad I did. I decided to call it quits I had come to the end of the book anyway.

So folks this is what happens when you layer it.

If you want to ask me any questions about this experiment - ask away. I got 2 more books by this author that I want to PR and comprehend.

Happy PhotoReading don't let the procrastination bug bite
Alex

I can't believe this. Alex can photoread a german text book with 70% comprehension and her main source of language is not even German. This is the most amazing thing I came across and read about, and it's about Alex K. Viefhaus, not somebody else. You're so amazing and great alex. I can't even think what to write about because I'm awed by your abilities. This is the most amazing thing I've seen or heard because when a person put their whole mind to reading, anything is possible. In other words, when you put your whole mind to it and force yourself not to be lazy and just do it, you can accomplish anything. When I read the stories in Paul's book, I have to put alex right up there for being who she is. And This experiment shows that a expert entering a beginners mind can do it, we can do it. She became so good at photoreading that I believe Learning Strategies hired her. This experiment shows that her abilities as a photoreader is extraordinary. She's the most experienced person who can give you tips about photoreading in this forum, that is the main reason I always follow her suggestions and advise. That is the reason when ever I'm seeking for help, she would be there willing to help you, she's got the best insights and influences about photoreading. we should give her kudos because she's helping us under her own will. She's amazing, I look up to her as a photoreader and as a teacher. I believe you guys should too.

Again Thanks a lot Alex. I don't have such wide range of skills like you for activation, I am inspired and motivated because of this experiment. It has yield my style of reading now. You made realise that to become an efficient photoreader, you must take each steps of the system seriously. You've zapped my entire being to photoread and to the biggest extent, I feel very sincerely for that.

I have to say this a billion times, you're the best alex. all of us in this community are grateful for your help. I speak for all when I say, every single of us are extremely grateful when you answer everyone's needs and questions. It's been great, every single of alex's contribution makes the biggest significant change towards our life and I believe we should be very thankful for that. Again a zillion Thanks to alex!

Last edited by markzor; 04/03/08 05:55 PM.
OP Offline

Note the date. I had been PhotoReading 4 months by that time.

The activation skills are taught in the system. The biggest thing I show in the post. The first activation feels like you're not getting anything and you're only done when you are done.

The other thing to note is I used the activation techniques. I did for that book have to deal with the apprehension and fear that my skills weren't good enough for that book.

That was August 2002 it's now 2008 and what pleases me most about that activation is I still remember what I learned from that book. I noticed with every book since learning to PhotoRead I remember much more of what the books were about. Unlike with traditional reading if you asked me to explain the book a week or two after I closed the last page. My answers were vague. Not so anymore.

AlexK

4months of photoreading and you were this good. 6 years on, I can't imagine how good you are now.

I have a question

What was your learning style for photoreading when you first began?

Yeah Interested because I'm a beginner

Last edited by markzor; 04/05/08 11:53 AM.
OP Offline

Try it and see.

AlexK

Alex.
I'm gonna try my best and follow the system with everything I got. If i do that, I pray within 3 months time, I can be good as you when you first began photoreading. If I do master photoreading, I can enjoy reading and comprehending books. Also it might even cut my study time. Photoreading is my hobby, I love doing it. But for some reason, reading was never a hobby for me, it's a pain. But I believe photoreading is opening me new doors for reading books.

So My new goal is to be good as alex like when she first began photoreading.
Thanks a lot Alex ^_^

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved