Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67476 05/05/04 10:58 PM
expance Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi I am still working on my anchorman list.

I am finding that the following are not in my memory web, both in terms of name and reason for associating.

Number 9 Indian, number 11 K for kilo ( even though I am studying maths ), 15 for Olympic games, 18 for RV, 21 U for unpunctuality.

This might sound lazy of me, but can anyone help me come up with better names and reasons. I realize it would be best to use my own creation but am finding it very difficult associate reason to name and order number. I can easily roam free with imagination. But then I have come up with a reason why I am using images to the order number.

Many thanks in advance

Sorry about creating a new topic when the topic already existed. Am burning the midnight oil.

[This message has been edited by expance (edited May 05, 2004).]

#67477 05/06/04 10:44 AM

Hey expance, I was going to psot a similar topic myself, so might as well use this one also.

I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home later I will post the letters which I'm not comfortable with in the Anchorman list.

Maybe between us we can come up with some good alternatives.

Later!

#67478 05/06/04 02:11 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Isn't there 9 innings in baseball?
11 knots... was about the average speed of a sail boat.

Kite... needs 11 bow for flight.

15 overs... (if you watch one day cricket that might make sense but the first 15 overs the players are restricted in their positions)

18 is about the age kids are considered Road worthy, They also gain the Right to Vote in Australia..

21 Under-aged for cheaper car insurance (25 it starts coming down).

Lets Get those ideas rolling we might find some others where we have common threads.

Alex

#67479 05/06/04 08:08 PM

Ok here's a list of the alphabet with my thoughts on the suggestions given in the book.

A - not too bad, but these days you always see newscasts where the format is to switch between two presenters periodically.

B - I have an alternative but it's too rude to say here

C - hmm, not sure.

D - mine is donkey, what on earth does a dromedary look like.Sounds like a character from star wars lol.

The follwoign letters I'm not whether to keep the books explantions or not, not too sure:

E, F, G, M.

The following don't do a thing for me darling lol:

O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
No way on the above, they need changing for me.

J and N are both interesting facts, knowledge!
So am not sure if I should try and keep them.

Also, a point regarding this.If somethign is unfamiliar to me, take the letter J explanation, should I work on getitng this into my memory, or should I only use things which already seem familiar.

I suppose what I'm saying is how far do you leap?

I'll be thinking of alternates and will psot when I have some.

Thanks!

#67480 05/06/04 09:48 PM
expance Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi folks, have an exam in the morning and busy with studies. Please bare with me. I will respond tomorrow.

#67481 05/07/04 07:57 AM

O...october 15... know someone with a birthday then?
Orchard with 15 fruit tress (you don't have to name 15 different fruit trees just get the principle of it)

Ocean liner 15 cm long (yes it's in a bottle)

Pound... 16 ounces = 1 pound
Pint - 16 ounces = 1 pint

Quill - a 17cm one just manages to tickle my nose.

I'll let other post some suggestions too.

Sometimes it's easier to adapt to someones idea rather than changing them.

The anchorman list is useful for memorisin the numerical order of the alphabet... how you do it doens't matter provided you give yourself enough cues... for me S is almost always forgotten I check T and remember it's one behind.. so I know it's 19 in the list. For me tennis is fine but just think of a word and see if you can associate a number with it eg toes... could work... 20 digits on the body if I count the toes.

Some of the other ideas are easier to work into the memory web than trying to find different once.

So far do you leap? Only as far as you have to to give yourself the numerical sequence of the alphabet.

Alex

#67482 04/01/06 02:02 PM

Here are some of my alternatives:

11 = Kangaroo -- I just see 2 arms hanging down like an 11 with the kangaroo standing (http://www.terragalleria.com/pacific/australia/australian-animals/picture.aust2500.html)

12 = a dozen lemons in an egg carton

14 = Nylons - connect to WWII soldiers gifts to women and Valentines Day

17 = Quarter - 17 magazine used to cost 25 cents (probably when I was 17!)

18 = Round - as in round of golf

I'm still struggling with U, Y, O, W

I'd like to somehow connect the O to April 15 & taxes -- Oh no! (does it have to be a noun?)

(after reading a few more posts, I've got O connected to October 15 as the last day possible to file taxes after a couple of extensions)

[This message has been edited by dinkalley (edited April 01, 2006).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved