Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67625 01/10/04 07:24 PM
OP Offline

I am running into a road block. Is it a wise idea to create and ABC list that looks like this.
Let's take C - First I see I want to know everything about Cytology. (structures of cells)
So visually on a card or paper I would write C=CELL=CYTOLOGY then add a definition. Cell for me tells me this is the study of the structural make up of cells. But I may use cell for 10 other things though out my studies.

Also should I add a definition?

I guess I am becoming anial about this list because I don't want to screw up the brain activity and I
want this to be easy and not take to much time. But what I have to memorize covers so many areas I am just concerned I will get them closed and the lay out of the list can't even begin to look like the one in the book. Will this mess me up if a do a sort of flow chart look?

For example I may have 5 words on the subject of ligaments of the foot that all start with P. How do you come up with a list that flows visually and defines all the info I need.

Help.
Thanks Lora

#67626 01/11/04 05:27 AM
Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by LoraFlinn:

I am running into a road block. Is it a wise idea to create and ABC list that looks like this.
Let's take C - First I see I want to know everything about Cytology. (structures of cells)
So visually on a card or paper I would write C=CELL=CYTOLOGY then add a definition. Cell for me tells me this is the study of the structural make up of cells. But I may use cell for 10 other things though out my studies.

Yes you can use the list that way since you have a logical link the only thing you need to decide is how you're going to visually link it.

quote:
Also should I add a definition?
I would but again you need to be creative in your visual linking of it to your anchor list which has the word Cell.

quote:
I guess I am becoming anial about this list because I don't want to screw up the brain activity and I
want this to be easy and not take to much time. But what I have to memorize covers so many areas I am just concerned I will get them closed and the lay out of the list can't even begin to look like the one in the book. Will this mess me up if a do a sort of flow chart look?

Follow your intuition. The idea came from within you and from your mind. I see that as a sure sign that will be able to work with that method successfully.

As for worrying that you'll screw it up? Well worrying just creates more work the very thing you want to avoid in the first place. Try out your ideas in a playful manner if on a review you notice that it's not sticking very well make adjustments. Your efforts are never losts and it will go easier and faster if you just get started doing something rather than waiting until you think you've figured it out in your head.

quote:
For example I may have 5 words on the subject of ligaments of the foot that all start with P. How do you come up with a list that flows visually and defines all the info I need.

Help.
Thanks Lora

Well my approach might be somewhat unorthodoxed but I would draw the foot and segment it into 20 to 26 sections and create an ABC type list to identify those sections and link the ligaments to the section rather than linking it to the letter P.

Eg the toes use the childrens game of this little piggie... Piggie that went to market is M=market Stays home is H= Home Had roast beef (could be R or b depending on which letter i need available elswhere) had none N=none (or nun for visual linking) went wee wee wee W=Wee ... Ok if you're laughing try and forget the idea but now you can anchor the ligaments that attach to those toes using a cross between visual, play and ABC list.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved