Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline

I have been practicing SFQ an average of an hour a day for three months hoping to alleviate longtime depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I started this regular practice after reading about the study that was done showing that SFQ improved symptoms of depression in a test group. So far, I have not noticed any positive change in these conditions or any movement of energy or indication that anything positive is happening when I practice. The forms don't feel natural and relaxing to me as some other qigong forms have, and have often brought up feelings of frustration and stress. 3 months seems like a fair trial (the study group did 2 months). Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMHO 'wellness' is best brought about through a multi-pronged approach focusing on health and wholeness. I feel best when I watch what I eat, get the proper amount of sleep at night, engage in some physical activity or exercise as well as allowing some down-time (physical, mental and emotional rest) during the day.

I think of it as a balanced lifestyle.

It also helps me to get out of myself - focus some of my energy on doing for others. If I get locked up in my own head too much I find that I'm in bad company. I have a tendency to brood and dwell on negatives too often and sometimes this turns into a self-reinforcing feedback loop; the worse I feel the more I brood which makes me feel worse and so I brood more and so on.

When that happens I stop whatever I'm doing and go take a walk or a motorcycle ride or spend some time trying to do a good turn for someone else. Or I pray.

I also do Reiki on myself at least once or twice a day. Finally, SFQ exercises are helpful to me in keeping things open and balanced. But again, I see it as just one tool in my toolbox. There are lots of other tools in there, and I have to use them all.

It's like building a birdhouse or something. If all I had was a hammer, I couldn't do a very good job.

But if I had a hammer

(there'd be no more folksingers!)

uh hem....as I was saying...if I had a hammer AND a saw AND a power drill AND a miter box AND some paint AND some brushes I could build a very nice little birdhouse, indeed.

There are a lot of tools out there - Reiki, SFQ, good diet and exercise programs, etc. Choose wisely from among them. Use ALL the tools you can find that you find are appropriate and might be helpful to you. Learn how to use them well, use them appropriately and use them often.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by monkbiker; 11/16/08 03:10 PM.

Hi Makemerry,
Just thought that I would also put my 2 cents worth in. Sometimes blockages
can be a lot more rooted than others, whether emotional or physical. Sometimes
feeling worse than better can be a good sign that you are making progress, like
feelings of frustation and stress. My advice would be to keep at sfq, as I feel that
you are making progress. Three months is a fair trail, but like I said, some blockages
take longer to remove. Not feeling natural and relaxed suggests that to me, as well
as the frustration and stress. Like Monkbiker says, there are many tools that can help,
but I really think that you should also continue sfq. I really feel that you are ready
to make some headway.

Just my thoughts and suggestions.
Love,
Gabby

I also agree with what Gabby said about how things can sometimes feel like they're getting worse just before you make a breakthrough.

I remember seeing a video of a water droplet that was being bombarded by sound waves. There was a pattern of waves within the water drop that formed in response to the sound pressure. There were 5 stable little pinpoints of lights where these small waves intersected each other. As they increased the frequency the distortion patterns suddenly turned chaotic and for a brief moment there were sparkling little pinpoints all across the water drop as the small waves smashed into each other.
Then, all at once these small waves "reorganized into a higher level" and there were 8 stable small pinpoints of light.

The moral of the story is what Gabby just pointed out. It's also been expressed as "it's always darkest just before the dawn". When we're doing something new; physical exercise, Reiki, Qigong, martial arts or whatever - it's not uncommon to experience some resistance and even some degree of chaos right before we "escape into a higher level of organization".

Don't quit just before you have a breakthrough!

On Edit - it's called "cymatics". I found this video on YouTube. The fellow is using salt but the principal is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp4igyujPm0

Last edited by monkbiker; 11/17/08 01:29 AM.
OP Offline

Thanks for the input.
For those who respond, I'd be interested in knowing what you do for your SFQ practice. the benefits you've experienced from your practice of SFQ.
Thanks in advance.

I say keep going makemerry - you said that you were trying to alleviate long-time illnesses - these may take a little longer than 3 months in my own experience.

I started SFQ because I had a really bad back for a few years - some days couldn't walk and very painful for most of the rest of the time as well.I can't take drugs of any sort and rely on natural healing.

It took me quite a few months with regular practice of about 1 hour daily and I did get a bit worse before I got better. That was 5 years ago. I've been pain free for several years and there have been numerous other benefits. My anxiety and stress levels are virtually zero, my moodswings almost non-existent.

I have loads of energy and am constantly told that I have beautiful glowing skin - absolutely great for someone who spent most of their childhood in the sun without screen (unwittingly of course).

Uly Offline

I had the same feelings Makemerry. Around the 3 month mark I thought that should have been enuff of a trial of SFQ...nothing had changed with my health, I have Chronic fatigue Syndrome, Asthma and when I'm in so much pain I get depressed. During the 4th month I gave up. Stop all qigong that I was dong. I got worse and was in chronic pain. My hip / leg and neck pain was so bad I was going to quit work. Doctors couldn't help me so I went back to SFQ...I had nothing to loose.

Like you I got feelings of being Frustraed and angry.So I started with 30mins of Small universe laying down and did the active exercises when I could.I think I was healing when I stopped doing SFQ but didn't realise I was healing becuase there were no improvements that I could see.

Within a month I started to feel a little better and customers commented at work how much better I was looking.Now at the 8 month mark I have no pain in my hips, a little pain in my kness. Hardly any pain in my neck, still some back pain. MY asthma has improve slightly. My chronic fatigue has improved slightly. My happiness levels are extremely high now and my stress levels are lowering. I still have a long way to go before I'm completely healed, but I know I will be completely healed in the future.

I am doing my SFQ in blocks of 30mins. I try for 2 x 30mins blocks a day or more. 1st I do Small universe then a couple of hours later I do my active exercise's, and If I have time I do another 30mins of which ever exercise I want...like Breathing of the universe and or Harmony of the univese. I used to be too ridged and do blocks of 1 hour of SFQ and that didn't suit me at all, only served to stress me out.

So key is to keep at it...atleast 30mins everyday and more as you have time. Don't be locked into doing it the same way everyday, chnge it round...do what you feel for that day Ie if you feel like doing 2 lots of Small universe and leaving out the active exercises for that day then do it that way.

Cheers and best of health

Uly

I'm happy to hear the healing stories here.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life. I agree that there should be more than one method at "healing" your depression and anxiety.

What has worked for me in addition to regular SSFQ is exercise. Yes, exercise. For most people that is out of the question. I know that regular exercise changes the chemicals in your brain that lead to anxiety and sadness. I'm not talking about merely walking, find something that gets your blood moving quicker. This has helped me A LOT. Plus I feel younger and look better and have more stamina and energy. Please don't dismiss it, it will help most people.

I would like to echo the idea about serving others. This is also big. Forget yourself and help others who need assistance. I know that our ego plays a role in our depression and anxiety. We become fixated on ourselves too much. Try to reach out to others, friends family or people you come in contact with.

I think that if you follow everyone's advice here on the SFQ board you will see real improvements.

Without desire there is tranquility. And in this way all things would be at peace. -Lao Tzu

And pie.

Don't forget pie.

A nice little slice of pie every once in a while will do wonders!

I like the pie scene in the John Travolta movie "Michael". It captures my feelings about pie perfectly.

And we're coming up on pie season too! \:\)

Last edited by JeffreyC; 11/19/08 04:22 PM.

Without desire there is tranquility. And in this way all things would be at peace. -Lao Tzu
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved