Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70841 02/15/09 09:38 AM
NateDog Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's the deal. I've been practicing SFQ on and off for about 8 years and I also receive Qigong energy from another master. I think I have some kind of past live karma problem similiar to what Master Lin had growing up. There's certian people that I have to associate with that don't like me and I would really like to just beat them up. I know alot of people come to Qigong after mastering other Martial Arts. I feel like I missed that step and can't seem to go to the healer route untill I finish my anger phase. Now I don't want to beat anybody up, but I would like to master some kind of martial art to the point where people will know that I'm not someone to be messed with. I feel like once I finish this faze I will be able to return to Qigong and try and master the healing aspects. Anyone have good Martial Arts suggestions?

Yes. Based on your question, the one who needs to know that you are not someone to mess with, or rather the one who needs to stop messing with you, is you!

In other words, what you are really looking for is mastery, not power or control.

T'ai Chi Ch'uan goes very well with SFQ and is a great martial art (you do have to search to find a school that actually practices the martial aspects of T'ai Chi Ch'uan, but it is well worth it).

The other suggestion I would make, is Aikido. This martial art comes from the same place of love as SFQ does.

These would help you a lot, I think.

Hope that helps.

blessings,

Steve
NateDog Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the recomendation. I'll look into Aikido. I want something with a spiritual aspect that would somehow tie in with Qigong. I remember growing up I got into alot of fights, but one thing I always remember is the kids who grew up taking martial arts never got into fights. It's like there Aura or demeanor or energy field or something was different. I've read where Chuck Norris wants to get martial arts programs into schools for kids and I think that would be a good thing.

A few years ago I was stuck in a work situation with alot of toxic, angry, mean spirited people, and keeping myself full of Chi helped me get through it. I thought I had finally burned off that kind of karma. Now out of nowhere I find myself in a similiar situation, but not on an everyday basis. I don't know how to explain it. Being around these kind of people makes me want to master a martial art. Maybe it's a sign.

I think that Pushing Hands in T'ai Chi Ch'uan (which can be translated as "Supreme Ultimate Fist" or "Supreme Ultimate Boxing") would be very good for you also.

Or Aikido. It is often easier to find a good Aikido school than it is to find a T'ai Chi school that both teaches and understands the martial aspect of T'ai Chi. It has become easier in the last 10 years or so, but it is still more common to see T'ai Chi taught more like a form of "yoga" or a simply an exercise than in its true martial aspect.

Much success!

blessings,

Steve
Uly Offline

There are many good martial arts Karate, Tae Kwondo, Muay Thai, escrima, Savate, Judo, Krav Maga, Silat, Tai Chi, Wing Chun, Brazilain Jiu Jitsu and the list goes on....

So what are your strenghts are you good at punching, kicking, grapling, are you flexable, are you Muscular,are you slightly built, are you fit, are you fast? All these things you should look at before joing a martial.

I have been training martial arts most of my life...Taekwondo, Silat Perisai Diri, Fighting style Tai Chi. It really built up my confidence. I have never been in a fight and im proud of that record. Your right there is a aura that martial artist have and not many want to fight them once they know that ( I had 8 guys try to pick on my sister and a mate of mine, one was a huge bodybuilder. Once I got into one of my martial art stances none of them wanted to fight anymore. I think I was lucky they were more mouth than fight). But there are those that will and there are guns out there too, which you generally can't fight against.

I would take a good look at your anger issues, they are probably attracting these type of people into your life. Anger will stop you from being a good martial artist, and will make your mind confused and you wont be able to fight as well. Anger will cause you to go looking for fights (subconciously) and you will eventully meet one of these people who can fight better than you.

Always find a martial art that teaches the spiritual side and the energetic or Chi side of the martial art and one that doesn't promote thugery.

Ask your masters or the universe before you do SFQ or meditation for help in dealing with your anger, and then wait for the help to show up.

Good luck

Uly

Hi there, I am new here but I hope you'll consider my opinion. I don't know if you have ever heard of EFT ( Emotion Freedom Technique) it is simple technique (Paul Scheele talks about and uses it in his Photoreading sessions) to help you with your emotions and pain you want to get rid of. I was most of my time calm person, but simetimes I could get angry very fast, or I would remember something and get depressed. So one day I accidently stumbled on my friend who told me about it, and it worked.

But if you are really looking for martial art, I would recommend you Gongfu (Kung Fu). Through Qigong exercice true Qi is made to function normally in our bodies and that is meaning of Gong. Gongfu has some broader implications, it can mean quality of Qigong exercise or learning of methodology and attainment of skills in doing Qigong exercises. So it helps you to build up your Qi

Interesting, nightmaster... But I just want to correct you here; keep in mind that KungFu/Gongfu is really *any* skill that takes time to develop. Tai Chi is Gongfu, QiGong is Gongfu, etc... (even something as remote as landscaping could be considered Gongfu, if it took much time, effort and discipline to master) Though that EFT seems worth looking into. (I just may check it out myself!)

NateDog, I would go with Tai-Chi myself, especially since QiGong and TaiChi are so intergral and connected. If you can't find a qualified instructor, go to Taijiworld.com and take a look at their downloadable catalog of hundreds of videos covering MANY aspects of Tai-Chi, Bagua, healing, weapons, etc, etc. Erle Montegue is a respectful teacher the quality of his information is not shoddy in the least. I've obtained a few of his videos and studied them well, the results were more than I expected them to be.

Anger phase, NateDog? I myself, am familiar to that. I hope this helps:

Remember, anger is just an energy that we put a label to.
This may sound moot at first, but try radiating Metta (loving-kindness) to yourself and others. ESPECIALLY, when you are 'feeling' angry or when you think about situations (real or otherwise) that cause anger to arise in the mind-body.

Mentally say something like:

"May all beings be free and happy..."
"May all beings be free from negativity..."
"May they be free from anger, or hate..."
"May they experience bliss and love..."

Then visualize that you are radiating this outwards to all beings, in all Universes. "All beings" includes yourself. I understand how hard it is to remember to do this when you are feeling angry. THAT is really what is needed to be worked on. Rather than blowing up at someone, turn your attention inwards.

Anger is like your house is on fire. Do you try to put the fire out, or go after the person who "started it" -- and in every case that's YOU! Interestingly enough, when you feel those anger demons arise, if you observe them, rather than go 'with them' they get smaller, rather than explode like a volcano.

I'd like to say that people who 'don't like you' is more of a sub-conscious problem that's manifesting on the physical plane.

If you radiate loving-kindness(especially when you don't feel like it!), people around will naturally and gradually treat you better. The effect is very subtle at first, but look what happens when you throw a stone into a pool. The ripples radiate outwards and come back to you...

-May Peace and loving-kindness go to you and all beings.

I'd go with Shorinji Kempo myself. I like the attitude behind it, and the fact that even the fighting is a form of meditation. Same attitudes as Shaolin, only you don't have to be as bendy and acrobatic, or have studied it from birth in a temple.

Have you ever tried 'The Sedona Method' for anger release?

These guys are not to be messed with as you can see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4

I'll bet even Bruce Lee would walk away from a fight with one of them.

\:D with Inchiki's youtube post!

And good to see a post from you once again.

I really loved this and it did indeed make me laugh.

Of course, the humor is based on the fact that all most people know is the "non-martial" T'ai Chi Ch'uan, which was really begun by Yang Cheng Fu, in the 20th century, which removed pretty much ALL of the martial aspects of T'ai Chi Ch'uan, which was named because it really was one of the most powerful martial arts (the Chen style and the earlier Yang style).

The original T'ai Chi had both slow and fast, explosive movements, kicks, punches, etc, which Yang Cheng Fu removed and made an all slow, all for health (his reasoning was logical, albeit, not perfect: the gun, in his opinion, made studying martial arts for self-defense obsolete, and this was also based on the trauma to the martial arts world in China, the Boxer Rebellion, which brain-washed martial artists to stand up to guns).

There is very little T'ai Chi Ch'uan fighting competition (much more push-hands competition these days. And those can get pretty vigorous and intense. Not too slow at all! ;\) ). However, it does happen. Master William C.C. Chen, in New York City, used his T'ai Chi (he was originally a student of Cheng Man Ching, a student of Yang Cheng Fu, who taught no martial applications. Master Chen, who I had the privilege of studying push-hand with, would, on his own, take each movement of the form, and practice it thousands of times, over and over. Slow, then faster, then faster etc. He would imagine the applications and work it out in his mind, based on what he already did know about martial arts.

He eventually became a great fighter and used his T'ai Chi to win fighting bouts in many tournaments. He is one of the only well known T'ai Chi masters in America, that I have heard of, who actually has a separate fighting class and there are many Western style boxers in his class.

Again, this is the exception, not the rule, because T'ai Chi, to a large extent is the epitome of what Bruce Lee said in ENTER THE DRAGON, "My art is the art of fighting without fighting". There have been many master and are now, who could, if they had to fight very well, and most likely prevail, but they never show it. And likely never will.

To a large extent any martial art that is a "-do" or "Way" has this built into it (whether it is in the title or not, many if not all martial arts are or can be taught this way). I was just reading a passage in a great book last night, THE ZEN WAY TO MARTIAL ARTS" A JAPANESE MASTER REVEALS THE SECRETS OF THE SAMURAI. I think it may have been in the introduction, by author and Akidoist, George Leonard. He explains that "Budo", which does not translate well into English, but is usually translated as something like "The Way (or Tao) of War or the Warrior" really has to do with enlightenment and not with fighting. He says something like, "The one who learns 'Budo', eventually learns that ALL battles are eventually with oneself.

I have learned this a lot in my little experience in learning martial arts and most especially T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

I agree with the suggestion of the Sedonna method or any such releasing techniques. I think the overarching theme here in this thread, is that the true way to overcome struggle is not how to "fight better", but rather how to calm the struggle within. One of the great principles of Taoism, as I understand it, is that when you find a struggle on the outside, it reflects a struggle within.

I have found this to be true in my life. The "dojo" as it is called in Japanese, is the place of enlightenment, not a mere place to learn how to fight.

So ultimately, if one goes to the school regardless of the style, with that intention firmly in place, I believe that one will find the right teacher and the right style.

Turn it over to your Master's energy and you cannot fail!

Here is a link to the introduction to that book (an awesome book by the way) HERE.

Originally Posted By: Inchiki Gaijin
These guys are not to be messed with as you can see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4

I'll bet even Bruce Lee would walk away from a fight with one of them.

blessings,

Steve

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved