Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#72792 06/29/09 08:23 PM
OP Offline

Hi there,

I'm actually working on session 1 of course 2, "turn around your limiting beliefs". I have the impression that it's rather tricky for me to identify the limiting beliefs. I'm quite sure that I have some unknown ones and these are supposed to the most limiting ones due to just that nature. My list of restricting statements often heard when growing up is quite short (another belief? ;-) at least the ones I can remember.

Any ideas of how to deal with that?
Any list of limiting beliefs for "inspiration"?
Any list of restricting statements when growing up?

Thanks, regards,

--
Phoenix-2009

Really rather simple.

Keep repeating a new desired belief over and over; as in out loud 350 times. The garbage will surface, keep notes.

Example: 'I always get what I think I want, always... and when I commit to verbalizing it, then surely it comes upon wings of the goodly Gods and overtakes my affairs smartly well.'

Hi Pheonix

You can dig out your limiting beliefs by thinking about anywhere your life isn't working exactly the way you want it- if you don't have your dream job, if your days don't go the way you like them to, if you aren't surrounded by people that love and inspire you- anywhere you 'feel' you need to make changes or adjustments, there is probably a limiting belief at the core. If you scan thru the postings here, you can get an idea of some of the limiting beliefs that are operating on others. Things like lack of time, lack of money,I need to wait before I can have ___,.

You can also try asking your 'higher self' to show you where you are limiting yourself. Being aware and open will help you find your limits, and work thru them. Sometimes you recognize them one at a time, and sometimes you'll see a whole group of them.

I hope this helps

Brenda

Hello Pheonix,
In my experience limiting beliefs are the very 'facts' we take for granted. They are often cherished beliefs or values, ones we are prepared to fight for or sustain. My daughter believes she is poor at maths - consequently she is - but she didn't used to be. She or someone else implanted a limiting belief in her mind.
I can't resist a nibble of chocolate.
I hate being late.
If only you did/ didn't do such and such, then I would....
I wish I could....(the limiting belief is the 'fact' by which you justify why you can't get your wish).
Limiting beliefs can also be faulty conclusions: I failed my maths test, therefore I am bad at maths.

I totally agree with Brendann. Your limiting beliefs are at the intersection of what isn't working well for you.
Look for thoughts beginning with I can't; I won't; I should; I must; I shouldn't - these are mechanisms that may delineate your belief system.

Look at where you have discomfort and pain. You can turn that on its head and see it as the universe's way of drawing your attention to a belief that MAY need updating, refining, or just plain dumping.

Again, Napoleon Hill comes to mind. "There are no limitations, just those in our minds." What can't you do / have / be?

If all this doesn't put you in touch with some of your self-enforced limitations, then try switching the word limitation for 'boundary', or another synonym.

Finally, list what makes you fearful. Limiting thoughts hold fears in place.

A book some of us have been benefitting from (see other threads) that relates strongly to this subject is "The Big Leap" by Gay Hendricks. It is all about spotting your Upper Limits, and how to live in your Zone of Genius.

I do so hope you enjoy eeking some of those limiting beliefs out into full consciousness.
Adieu,
French Claire

French Claire wrote:
Again, Napoleon Hill comes to mind. "There are no limitations, just those in our minds." What can't you do / have / be?

There are impossible things like as a mature adult start growing again a few inches taller. I know that in China they operate on people to make them taller, but this is besides the point. You cannot resurrect a deceased relative/friend. So you need to set realistic targets for yourself once you have recognised your limiting beliefs.

Hi there Uniquesoul,
Just to say, I disagree with what you say, well partially anyway. I know this is your scientific brain at work, and that part I can agree with. There are laws of nature (or laws of science, or whatever we want to call them). However those are mere limitations of the mind, just as Napoleon Hill says.
Why? Well, we all agree that human beings cannot fly (well not yet anyway). However humans have always had a dream of flying. In the 1700's someone (can't remember who) managed to glide by imitating birds and creating artificial wings - a kind of flying. The Wright brothers went a step further and added power, they took humans flying a step further. We have since flown into space. Thus by expanding our definition of flight, we can now claim humans can fly. At this point in time, to suggest that humans can't fly is merely nitpicking about what definition of flying we use. It is semantics, not laws of science we are talking about.

We can apply the same logic to growing a few inches taller. Wear high heels for example (more feasible if you are female in our society - but see that is just another example of a societal limitation, not a law). Psychologically there is another way to grow a few inches taller - grow your self esteem, feel taller, grow up, take your rightful space.

In the end it is all an argument of semantics, wordology, if you prefer. We make the definitions, and some of us get stuck because we believe our mental definitions. Others, the creative ones, try to expand the definition, to get beyond the limitation. The choice is ours. Just as Napoleon Hill says, "There are no limitations, just those in our minds."

Regarding 'realistic targets', Uniquesoul, I believe this is just another mental boundary or limitation. Who decides what is realistic and what isn't? Listen to Jack Canfield's wonderful story of the Australian farmer or some kind of hill-billy who ran faster and further and thus won the race because he didn't "know" he should rest at night.

Regarding realistic targets, there is no hard and fast rule. No scientific law if you prefer. For some of us who live within very narrow parameters (boundaries / limitations) our scope to set high targets is small. For people like Canfield, Richard Branson, Edison and those who have the mental faculties to push beyond 'normal' human limits, then the rewards are HUGE. This is what ES is all about. The Big Leap, ditto. It is about knocking those fictitious 'laws / limits' and playing in the field of make-believe (absolute creativity where no laws hold) and finding what lies beyond.

So, Mim (who is currently manifesting 100,000 dollars within a month - see thread from yesterday by Mim), take courage and determination from this discussion. Doubt is what lies between success and failure. If we can reduce doubt and increase belief, we can creatively transcend limitations putting us in a realm where all manner of wonders can occur.

Go for that 100,000 dollars. Open to receive, for the world is limitlessly abundant. Open your mind, blow away your limitations, and riches shall truely be yours. Obviously how your unconscious mind decides to deliver those riches is as yet unknown. It could be a small augmentation in income (as I have manifested), or lucrative offers of work (as I have manifested but in the wrong field for me), or it could be in an idea worth 100,000 dollars or thereabouts (and I have those all the time, I just haven't implemented them yet), or it could be converting an asset into capital (as I am currently doing by selling a house surplace to our needs). Or something else that fits your belief pattern.

Like Mim, my goal is to obtain the outrageous, to claim a wonderful, joyful, abundant life. For me that means witnessing a lot of limited thinking and then reframing those limitations into 'unlimited thoughts'. I don't care if those limits were self-taught, imparted by others, or are our current understanding of what is 'the law', if they stand in my way, they are hurdles to getting to where I want to be.

By the way, Gay Hendrick's advice is to see limitations, acknowledge them, wave to them, and just get on with achieving your master plan. In Susan Jeffers words, Feel the fear, and do it anyway.

A final point, Uniquesoul. I too believe in science and psychology is my metier. My passion is research. Hence I believe in the value of disciplined research as a means for furthering knowledge. However the dream of every researcher is to test those boundaries, to find new patterns of data, to take our understanding from where it is not just one step further. Thus science, too, has a focus on determining a limitation, understanding how it works, and then seeing what happens when we move beyond it: finding the next boundary.

Here's to a day without boundaries. Imagine a world without limits.... what could happen!!
Adieu,
French Claire

Uniquesoul

Another way of looking at the perceived limitation of wanting to grow a couple of inches could be to look at why you believe those few inches will make a difference in your life- or what is the 'feeling' you will have when you are 2 inches taller- and then realize that you do not need to be two inches taller to enjoy that life experience. If you think the 2 inches will make you more attractive- then that belief is limiting you from recognizing the beauty you have-
You cannot bring back a deceased friend- but you can bring the feeling of love and companionship you shared with them back into your life.

i believe it is all in your perspective and perception of your limits.

Brenda

Ah, Uniquesoul!
You have stirred up quite a response!
I had a similar sense of objection to your comment here. I guess you are demonstrating a 'limiting belief' of your own, heh?
But thank you for doing so. As I read and felt responses, I observed something going on in me that I hope will help me work through the underlying skepticism and low self-value that I have used to sabotage my progress for so long.
I just read a support letter from Bill Harris (Holosync) that opened my eyes to a new thought. It says, "The ways in which we are tempted to go unconscious are infinitely subtle. A great deal of self-honesty and conscious awareness are required in order to recognize these distractions for what they are. Sex, drugs, alcohol, television, music, food, sports, negative attitudes, anger, dissociation, talking, reading, mental analysis, sleep, sickness, injury, illness..."
I had recognized most of the things he mentioned on that list as distractions that many people use (including some I have used and use myself) to avoid conscious recognition and/or confrontation of what is going on inside. I have only just been becoming aware that the use of 'scientific reality' testing is another one of those distractions that tempts us 'to go unconscious.' But I had never really thought of 'mental analysis' as one of them. Now I have something else to observe.
Best wishes for the creation of an expanding and marvelous day!
Margaret Ida

Greetings All,

This discussion raises some important questions:

1) What is our intent in doing the ES course? Is it to get what we want or is it to express who we truly are in the world? I think these two have a relationship, but I don't think they are necessarily the same thing.

2) When is a perceived limitation something that we are simply creating with our thoughts and when is it the recognition of a deeper reality being expressed? I think there is a fine line between "can do" thinking and hubris, between "limited thinking" and "seeing what is".

3) Are we operating from fear or love? I think it's possible to manifest what we think we want from either place (the question is: What are the consequences?") I also think it's possible to not be able to manifest what we think we want from either place.

I have probably said this before, but for me the keystone of the ES course is ASKING - Not only asking for what we want, but also asking for guidance toward getting what we want. In addition, Jack and Paul give some lip service to a third aspect of asking, and that is something like - asking to be shown what are our TRUE goals. It is this aspect of asking that holds the most curiosity for me.

What if my thinking mind isn't wise enough to know what's best for me? What if my ideas of what I think I want are all about my ego, my fear, my insecurity? On the other side of the coin, what if I am avoiding asking for (or even becoming conscious of) the very thing that would allow me to more fully embody WHO I REALLY AM and express it in the world?

My opinion is that our minds (by that I mean business as usual thinking, not deeper intuition or "inner guidance") often don't know what's best for us. They are conditioned to come up with goals that really aren't in our best interest (or are harmful to others or to the planet) or, alternatively, they are patterned to keep us from recognizing the goals that quicken our spirits and bring life to others and to the Earth itself.

What it all boils down to, for me at least, is DO I HAVE THE COURAGE TO LET SOMETHING GREATER THAN MY OWN IDEAS ABOUT WHO I THINK I AM AND HOW I THINK THE WORLD OPERATES RUN THE SHOW? What, then, might I accomplish that I never would have though possible (or even conceived of)? And what goal might I let go of accomplishing, for the benefit of all concerned, that I have long cherished and attached my identity to?

Do I have the courage to ask? Just as important, do I have the courage to listen to what comes back and then act on it?

These are some of my questions.

Best to all,
Stevers

Last edited by Stevers; 07/01/09 09:13 PM.

Originally Posted By: Stevers

What it all boils down to, for me at least, is DO I HAVE THE COURAGE TO LET SOMETHING GREATER THAN MY OWN IDEAS ABOUT WHO I THINK I AM AND HOW I THINK THE WORLD OPERATES RUN THE SHOW? What, then, might I accomplish that I never would have though possible (or even conceived of)? And what goal might I let go of accomplishing, for the benefit of all concerned, that I have long cherished and attached my identity to?

Best to all,
Stevers

Or do I have the courage to think, feel and know from within 'on my own entirely' and be responsible thereto for an eon or two?

Deferring to an 'higher Self or higher power' can just be another cop out, another opening to being manipulated. You are divine now, deal with it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved