Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

To My Partner,

I am aware that I left out the word

RESPONSIBILITY. All of sudden it seems to frighten me. Ha, ha. I will overcome. I am writing you an email. This is just to let you know, I read this and I am so impressed. I don't have the courage to be that open with everyone yet, but I will get there under French Claire's guidance. WATCH OUT WORLD - WE ARE SURE TO BE AN UNBEATABLE TEAM!

Growing With You!
Successful

Is an accountability or responsibility partner going to create a sense of guilt in ourselves, if we fail to comply with our daily, weekly, etc plan?

Last edited by uniquesoul; 07/08/09 03:27 AM.
OP Offline

Morning Uniquesoul,
Interesting thought to ponder. Will I feel guilty if I don't live up to my expectations? Don't know yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. However, I already know I would prefer to accept some disappointment at not reaching all of my goals, than to know what I should be doing and yet choose not to do it!

Right now I have a bit of mental space (I'm free of my official work commitments). I am ready to make even more positive changes in my life!
A bientot,
Claire

We are all disappointed if we do not meet our goals. Do we really need a boss named "accountability partner"?

OP Offline

I can only speak for myself. I don't need / want a boss. I have gone through ES once already, so newness effect is over. The second time working through ES, I imagine sharing the experiences with a 'partner' who also knows / understands the ES processes could be a motivator. Without motivation there is no action, and I need to keep my courage up and keep taking action consistently.

Successful is motivated so that is great. He / she feels an accountability partner is right for him / her - and this is the advice of Jack Canfield.

Consequently, I am happy to cooperate with others if this keeps me on track. Likewise, if I can assist another in even a small way, then synergy is at work. Synergy is definitely part of my 'genius zone' and I get a great buzz from putting two minds to work and getting more than we put in.

Uniquesoul -
The concept of 'accountability partner' is not intended to work as a 'boss' and create guilt. The relationship is intended to enhance our efforts and create synergy. There should be a sense of exploration and discovery in a totally non-judgmental way. Your accountability partner is a person with whom you are working to forward your progress. In such a relationship, your partner should be one with whom you feel able to open yourself and explore what happens as you form intentions and goals. 'Accountability partner' is a challenging 'job' because it needs to be done in such a way as to end the 'guilt' response and facilitate progress. It needs be done in a true partnership without any sense of hierarchy.
Personally, have tried to do my personal growth stuff completely independently for a long time, but I have found that I get distracted from the activity changes and goals I set way too easily when I am accounting only to myself. Then I procrastinate and rationalize my behavior, judging myself and feeling guilty. It works for me very well to have a partner with whom I meet and discuss what happened, with whom I rejoice when I am successful, and with whom I explore what I have learned when I have not completed my plan. My accountability partner facilitates my reviewing process and helps me remember that whatever has happened since our last visit is 'OK', that 'guilt' is not productive, that what happened since we met last was a learning experience, and she acts as a springboard to aid me in moving on to my next experience in a timely manner. I am extremely grateful to have such a friend.
While I am aware that everybody does not think, feel, act, and respond alike, an accountability partner is a really effective way for many people to create synergy and forward their own and another person's progress exponentially. If it doesn't sound like something that would work well for you, that's OK too.
May you create a happy day today!
Margaret Ida

Margaret,

Thank you for articulating this so beautifully!

Stevers

Thank you, Margaret Ida. I can see your point. I feel it is not easy to find such person. It may come to you at the right time though.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Originally Posted By: uniquesoul
... I feel it is not easy to find such person. It may come to you at the right time though.

A comment came to mind when I read that. I wasn't going to post it but here it is anyway.

'As you believe.'

AlexK

Thank you for sharing. I have tears in my eyes, and this is confirmation to me that I am on the right track. I have to say thank you again because I am communicating with others who understand, and that means a lot to me. \:D

RobynWanda
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved