Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I just recently started the AFL program and right away ran into problems with the "Feeling Excersize". When it says to scan your body for the feeling, are you supposed to relate a feeling right then and there? Like I keep naming the feelings and in just naming them, I am sort of labeling them. For instance "I am feeling dissappointed about my relationship". I am naming the feeling but I also feel at the same time that I am judging the feeling and I am confused about this excersize. Is anyone else having problems with it?

Well, what I think of it is that you have to scan and examine the feelings - not judge them in any case, but just to be aware of it. Stay always neutral to as many things as you can. If you are disappointed about your relationship with someone, you can either change your attitude towards it, or quit such relationship as quickly as possible, as Brian Tracy suggests...

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Best way to scan the body is imagine pointing to the location in the body where your awareness is drawn to a feeling. Then to avoid labelling it think about the size of container you would need if you were to put the feeling into the container. What colour would it express itself as, what sound might it make if it made a sound? What would it feel like if you could touch it. What might it smell like or taste like?

So when you think. Disappointed in my relationship... where do you feel that?

I can't tell you what will happen when you keep cycling though ideas like that because the experience will be uniquely yours and you'll get that ah ha. You might have to do that often. Some needed to do the feeling exercise 30 times a day for a couple of weeks before they got the real ah-ha.

So go easy on yourself because this is one exercise that you cannot use the logical mind to explain.

AlexK

And the only point when you do such exercises is to relax completely! Nothing works in my case if I am thinking about something that bothers me, but when I let go almost everything, since I still cannot think of anything, everything works!

But as Alex mentioned, the experience is unique, even you will find unique experience every time you practice cool

The Feeling Exercise as developed by Arnold Patent and used with permission in the AFL course has been used as a method for expanding to a state of consciousness and bliss, no matter what you are experiencing. Practicing appreciation for whatever feelings we are experiencing in the moment, right here, right now, in this very body, is the place of our power: the Power and Presence of the Universe. In this way, feeling fully our Now moment raises our energetic state and allows us to ride that energy as it flows along. It is normal to start with labels and judgements about the feelings at first, but as we focus on the qualities of those feelings, like color, temperature, texture and size, etc and then move on to the energetic vibration of the feeling (because the vibration is always there if you feel your way toward it) we will drop the labels and judgements only to come into a feeling of fullness with that energy, our energy, our power. Continuing to practice this exercise will bring about profound states of high energetic fullness. Other programs have been based on this process exclusively and is a key component of AFL, happy hunting in reclaiming your power!

Last edited by thaffner; 12/31/10 04:10 PM.

I'm not sure about your experiences, but I've interpreted the feelings to be physical feelings, not emotional ones. I work as a tour guide on long tours, and my employer wants me to rest for 30 minutes or more and each of my two stops on a 14 hour tour to get rested for the return trip.

I simply scan my body for a physical feeling, while leaning back in a reclining seat on the bus. Then I find whatever physical feeling I experience, and follow the directions. I normally have my eyes closed during this process, and within minutes, have lost consciousness. I wake up at the end of the session refreshed, realizing that I've been "under" for some time. Sometimes I may be aware of the paraliminals, but don't focus on them, just letting them happen.

I like this feeling exercise so much, that I use it regularly while on a break on tour, and have just ordered the Ultimate You Library of paraliminals. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Good luck, and focus on the physical feelings, not your emotions, and I think this will work better for you!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved