Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hhr Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi I started with Meditation 1 8 days ago. I do it 2x per day but never managed to stay "awake" once the full 20 min. Either my mind wanders or I escape to a little nap. any remedy?

Hi hhr
do you sit when meditating or are you in a very comfy lying or laying back position. I know if I sit, either in a chair or cross legged, I'm very much more alert to the meditation.

Lying down is often a precursor for me to have a wander, drift off or escape for a nanny nap.

with much love
Jetay

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Hello hhr!

In addition to trying what Jetay has recommended, you might experiment with meditating at different times of day. I'm much clearer in the morning, although if I meditate in the evening I sometimes get some amazing insights from my dreams. Even if you do drift off, your other than conscious mind is still engaged!

With love,
Wendy

Hello-

I am having the same problem with the Pathways meditations, although I did not with the Seeds recordings. I have tried all times of day and I sit and cross legged to meditate. Any other suggestions? Is this my ego's resistance to the work?

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Hi WaterBird!

Is the primary problem with staying awake or a wandering mind? If it is staying awake, I would continue to meditate in a seated position and try to do your sessions when you are most alert. I think you will gradually extend the time in which you are consciously engaged.

If the mind is wandering, there are a couple of things you can do. If it is coming up with things you need to attend to, you could stop your meditation, write down what is coming to the forefront and acknowledge that you will deal with those issues later. Often just the acknowledgement and promise to deal with things at an appropriate time will pacify the mind and it will step aside.

If the distraction is just a general wandering, you can acknowledge what is being presented, thank your mind for sharing and then return to the meditation. If you do well with visualization, you can imagine the thoughts as clouds in the sky that are just floating by or leaves on a stream that are gently bobbing along and out of sight.

I have a friend who started telling her mind that a tour bus was waiting to take it on a wonderful trip and she would be there when it returned. Once her mind was on the bus, she would start her meditation, and when you was done she would tell it that she was back. After the first few sessions of following this technique and purposefully re-engaging her "everyday" mind when she was done meditating, she had no further problems with unwanted intervention.

In this case, it seems as if a relationship based on trust had been developed and that might be what we all need when the mind keeps intervening. "I'm asking you to step aside now, but you can count on me to acknowledge you as soon as I get back." Maybe that's the bottom line in all this - we need to build that internal trust. So many of us are far more trustworthy to others than we are to ourselves. Maybe the ego (as represented by our mind or internal dialogue) doesn't yet trust us to keep our word to ourself. Food for thought!

At any rate, try the above and see what works (and let us know)!

With love,
Wendy

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Post script to that last posting!

I was reminded of something Jeddah mentioned during the Pathway Two series and looked up my notes. Her comment was that we should remember that everything is awareness. The busyness of the mind is awareness, as is the serenity of the unified field. One is temporary, noisy and endorses feelings of lack, while the other is permanent, harmonious and gives us a feeling of utter completion. As we continue to shift to that unified paradigm, it will naturally shift our sense of who we are. The more expansion we can maintain, the less room there is for contraction to find a space to enter.

What an amazing journey!
Wendy

I should have been more specific. The problem is neither falling asleep or busy mind. It is more like moving in and out of a visionary state - I go somewhere and begin to have images of various things, then all of a sudden I am back in the meditation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Hi again, WaterBird!

I would like to take two perspectives on this last posting.

From the context of Jeddah's teachings, when doing her meditations we are using vibrational frequencies that are increasingly higher than we are accustomed to. Maintaining those more rapid frequencies for extended periods of time may occur erratically at first. As we spend more time in a state of conscious awareness, it becomes easier to maintain these high and rapid vibrations and we find ourselves wandering less and less frequently. An adjunct to that is a deeper and clearer experience of what is being presented. So just be with what is, stay expanded and allow the process and growth to unfold.

The second context is based on the observation that the only time a lot of us sit in silence during the day is when we meditate. When we turn off our "everyday" conscious mind, we create room for the other than conscious mind to come to the foreground. Often it has been dancing around on the periphery, trying to get us to be still long enough to pay attention to a wisdom or insight that we really need to hear. When my mind has "wandered" during meditation I have had some incredible realizations.

That's one of the reasons I like using paraliminals. They give my other than conscious mind a chance to come forward and share the knowledge that may be right below the surface of my conscious mind.

In either case, the bottom line is to go with the flow and allow the experience to expand. Whatever it is - it's all okay!

With love,
Wendy

Last edited by Wendy_Greer; 03/31/10 07:41 PM.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved