Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello,
Sorry for my poor English.

When I do PR when working with real books, I mean, technical books like college textbooks, in specify, textbook for laws, then the difficult comes. I was confused because the knowledge in a specialized book is so tight squeeze.

1. How many triggerd words should be picked for technical textbook when postviewing? More then 30 words? What is the upper bound?

2.Because what I read is a translation book of PR in Chinese, I have to clarify there is no translation error. So, after postviewing and 20 mins(or night after) , what kind of question should I ask? How precise is it? Should I ask questions like that: where is the key point?/How can I get high score from this book? Or should I ask the question more precise like what I've done in postview?

3.When I try to dipping, I find out I have spent much time on it! For example, I took more then 1 hour for super-reading and dipping on just 70 pages... Is it normal for textbook? I guess the problem is that I've asked questions that are not so precise. Is it corrected?

4. I took more then 90 mins to draw the mind-map...Oh my god! Where the problem is?

5.Final question, can I read the book upside down when PR? I notice I would sometimes be distracted into some words in the book even when I pay attention to the words like "relax". And I found it is much easier to PR when the book is upside down.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by LiverTom; 01/05/11 05:33 AM.
OP Offline

Sorry, here is another one:
if there are couples of sections in a textbook, then how to PR it?
which one is ideal?
1.PR entire book(just once), activating one section, mind mapping, and carry on the next section

3.PR one section,and activation, mind mapping .And turn to next section

4.PR ,activating, mapping entire book. And next day continue the whole loop.

Learning Strategies Admin

Learn the system first on other books not relating to study. Once you've experience using the system on shorter books you can use it the same way for chapters of a textbook.

1.Per chapter you'd pick 5 to 11 trigger words depending on the number of pages, form at least one question to get started.

2. Your questions depend on your purpose. What you want from the book.

3. If it took more than an hour you're not super reading. You're spending more time reading. Superreading is too fast to read. It's spotting where you should slow down to read. Since you asked about questions I don't think you have a clear purpose which is moving you toward passive reading.

4. If you didn't intend to spend so much time on a mind map why did you?

5. Yes, you may PhotoRead the book upside down.

1b. Yes you can do it that way.

3b. Not as effective.

4b. No that's not how textbooks are used in classroom. Your focus should be similar, working in modules.

It's been repeatedly posted on the forum.

Textbooks, Don't start using the PhotoReading system on textbooks until you've worked with 4 or 5 non fiction books of about 200 to 300 pages first.

PhotoRead the entire textbook at least once. If it is a book used by the teacher for an entire year, you could PhotoRead it daily for a week at the beginning of the year.

When activating, Activate the instructed sections, you can PhotoRead the section again. If you decide to PhotoRead the section again, include a couple of chapters before and after that section.

If you are having difficulty activating a chapter in a textbook. Try PhotoReading just before activating. Find other text on the subject and PhotoRead as many as you can. Activate a little from each textbook or book on the subject that you feel inclined to. Then return to the textbook with the subject that was troubling you. Often this process will help make the subject easier to understand.

Alex

OP Offline

thank you very much about ur reply, Alex.
Im now starting with a book which is not related to my study, and it is light(something about the subconscious). I'll try it for 5 day test. Because this is a translation book, so here comes a question:
For the 5 day test, should I read on the same book from 1st day to 5th day?
And I think taking 1 hour for Mind mapping is too much, because in the book of PRWMS, Scheele tell us we should spend 10 mins to finish the Mind Mapping for the 5th day(Or is it a translation error?) of the 5 day(s) test. Because I could not know what is the time upper bound of the MM, so I guess 1 hour is too much(compare to 10 mins).
So there is no time limit for MM?
I'd searched some subjects about the textbook in this forum, and from this I know I should regard each chapter as a book. So for a specific chapter, I should PR 2 chapters before and after that chapter. And activating with it(30 mins), Mind Mapping with it(10 mins?Or?), taking a break for 5 mins, and carrying on PR (2+1+2) chapters ,activating ,MM..... And before this loop, I may take 30 mins(including MM?) for the whole book to a overview right? All of these should not spend more than 4 hours a day(because the learning curve would be decay after 3 hours).
Any thing should be corrected for the above statement?

OK, I would carry on light book for 5 day test, and I would post what I get from that after it!

sorry, from what you reply:
When activating, Activate the instructed sections, you can PhotoRead the section again. If you decide to PhotoRead the section again, include a couple of chapters before and after that section.
should I wait 20 mins after PR(b4 & after) the specific section? Or just activating it soon after PR it?

(Oh my second post should be corrected, I skipped 2)
LT

Last edited by LiverTom; 01/07/11 01:10 PM.

I only spend about 3 to 7 minutes mind mapping and usually do it while activating the book. (put the pen down a lot)

PhotoReading again can be part of the activation. Call it an activation layer. So no need to wait again. Activation can be 3 to 40 minutes in a block. You set the time. Personally I like a minimum of 7 minutes and maximum of 20 when I take a break.

So for textbooks you may only need 7 minutes to activate the chapter. Once PhotoRead you don't need to PhotoRead again. You do however need to check your purpose a lot.

Prepare and ideal state are the most important step to do before previewing, before PhotoReading, before postviewing or before activation. In other words each time you take a break, You start with prepare.

Make sure you are asking the author questions. Then you know what you need to mind map and not more.

The 5 day test gives structure. The times are not exact some will need 2 minutes to finish mind mapping others couldn't finish mind mapping unless there's no room left on the paper.

That's not saying either is wrong. It's pointing out there is a personal preference that is based on desire and need to know and confidence.

Use the system and you'll recognise your desire, need to know and confidence will show up for you.

Alex

Dear All,
I have a question about the purpose. When photoreading a textbook (eg. "Molecular biology of cancer") and I want a more detailed information, what should my purpose be?can you please give me an example of a proper purpose? my purposes are too general, is it OK?
thanks for your help
bests

Here are a few purposes I've listed for recent textbook readings I've done related to e-learning. I usually write a couple of general purposes before reading which are related to the course requirements. Then, I list a few more specific questions for post-viewing to help me hone in on the information. All of these questions are directly related to the aspects I had to explain for my course. Hope they are helpful for you:
- What are the key aspects that characterize open distance education?
- How is constructivism represented in Moodle?
- How do traditional educational models influence evaluation?
- What is the role of nodes and ties in constructing knowledge?
- How have the roles of student and teacher evolved in the virtual classroom?

Dreamer it comes back to you. We need to know what is your purpose? Why are you working with that textbook?

Since I haven't got a reason to study the subject I don't have a purpose so wouldn't even bother opening the book. What would be the point of my learning that?

Alex

RachelVng

What is your purpose?

I can see your questions and from them I believe you have a sound purpose, so could you tell us what was the purpose? I can tell you've got an important overreaching purpose that's keeping you focused on the outcome and information you need.

Alex

Yes, my macro purpose when reading the texts was "to be able to represent the main learning theories for distance education using an on-line poster tool."
... namely, the purpose was that which I needed to get done to pass the course.
Having said that, the material is of interest to me in my career so when the course is finished and as the need comes up, I will reformulate my purpose to something more relevant and re-activate.
By the way, Alex, all of the reading for this course was in a foreign language and, as you mentioned in previous messages about PhotoReading in a different language, I have noticed spontaneous activation of vocabulary in that language, words surfacing. Very gratifying!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved