Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trixie Offline OP
OP Offline

Greetings Everyone!

I've been practicing Spring Forest Qi Gong for a year and a half now, just about every day until recently. This is my first time on the forum. During the telephone sessions I can feel the qi moving all over my body. I have several illnesses and I believe the qi is working on all of them. Master Lin says to notice how good you feel during the meditations. I used to feel great and connect to the oneness, feeling as if I had left my body and was floating. About 6 months ago I began to feel pain during the telephone sessions. The pain started in my knee, later went from my feet to my waist on one side. This side has osteoarthritis in the hip from an old injury. I sometimes need to use a cane, sometimes have a limp, had limited range of motion, and have had hip pain on and off for years. I noticed I had more range of motion after the first few painful sessions.

What has developed over time is that now I have pain that feels like an electrical current that goes up and down that leg, ending at the foot with an involuntary twitch. It comes in waves which can be only seconds apart to many minutes apart. This pain is far worse than the pain I had before from the injury and arthritis. The pain has increased in intensity and is now just about unbearable. Sometimes I have to end the meditation early because I can't stand it. Master Lin has often said that arthritis and structural damage are difficult blockages and sometimes there is pain as part of the healing.

I had a telephone coaching session with one of the masters at SpringForest Qi Gong and she said to welcome the pain as it was the qi healing me. I have tried to do that and I would end up gritting my teeth, crying and watching the clock, forcing myself to stay put until the session was ended. Now the pain does not end after the sessions. The pain goes on, like an electrical shock almost, all night long most nights even when there has been no telephone meditation. In fact all I have to do is lie down at some point after doing small universe or active exercises or even listening to the consistent practice cd and I will have the pain. (It only starts after Master Lin comes on the cd.) Now I have begun to experience the pain while doing small universe seated. Sometimes I even have it while sitting down to eat dinner. Taking along gentle qi gong breath using all my skin can start the pain. I don't feel the pain when I stand up or walk so I walk around the house most of the nights. My doctor says he can't find anything wrong with my lower body that would cause this pain. I have not slept a full night--or more than a few hours at a time in many weeks now and I feel just awful. I approach the telephone meditations with anxiety now and I have to work hard to convince myself to practice at all. Often I don't.

I fear I am going to have to give up the telephone sessions and even doing qi gong altogether. Has anyone had a similar experience? Have any suggestions? I am at a loss to know what to do or how to stop this pain which has gone on for so long.

Thank you. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Trixie,

Did you speak to Darcie Gustine for your consulation? She's gone through and has had clients who have gone through a lot of similar experiences as this.

A couple of initial things...

Do the tapping of the tailbone before and after you meditations, exercise, or group phone healing. Take time out throughout your day to do 2 minutes here, two minutes there. We want to open up the channels in the lower part of the body.

Breathing the breathing through he skin is great. Are you reverse breathing, or regular belly breathing? At this point we want a relaxed, easy breath.

Much Love, Shawn

Greetings, Trixie!

When I find myself struggling in any area of my life, when nothing I am doing seems to be working, when I feel stuck in physical, or emotional pain, I find it useful to surrender as best as I can in any given moment to love. Let your love guide you to the way to practice that will give you the best, most profound and lasting results. You can do this best by focusing on your heart. Master Lin says that when we focus on our hearts it gives us an all side view of situations.

I find that when I stop or slow down my practice when intense feelings of pain come up or I am not getting the results I want fast enough that this slows down the process even more and my fear of my own pain my sense of disappointment creates more blockages which also affects the rate at which I heal. This is when our practice can become the most challenging for us and what helps the most for me is calling on the universal love energy over and over again and visualizing myself pain free, healthy, loved, and enjoying life. You, right now are in the process of transforming the energy of your pain into something better. I generally associate any feelings of pain for myself as someplace inside of me (that may have manifested outside of me into pain or illness) where I don’t feel loved and sometimes most importantly in my experience realizing that pain can develop when I am also pushing love away (consiously or unconscioulsy blocking it because in some ways due to life experiences pain {especially emotional} felt more normal to me.)

A relationship analogy to Qigong might be useful here: for me, at times I can fall into pushing people’s love away because being loved by someone can sometimes bring up reminders of being mistreated, so even more pain emerges and this pain can sometimes make me run away from the person or (energy) that just wants to love me. But when I surrender to love energy, the powerful universal love energy, the painful feelings might come up for awhile but then feelings of connection and peace start emerging until this feels much more natural to me. Imagine the world, the universe, supporting you, comforting you, and loving you and letting you know that you are not alone and that your health and well being matters a great deal, see yourself as joyous, pain free and doing the things you love. Then imagine yourself as a baby again bathed in sunlight and receiving so much love energy, and wonderful affection, lots of nurturing and care and see yourself as happy, energetic and marveling at the glory and beauty of this world. Feel your heart completely open and all of your organs radiating with light and love. Find the most unconditionally loving perspective and visualizations for yourself to work with as you continue your Qigong practice (if that makes sense for you) and adjust it as you see fit.

Trixie Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear Shawn:

It was Darcie who coached me. She has always had a special and wonderful effect on me when she leads the meditations. The session was extremely helpful. However she said to embrace the pain and welcome it, telling it to bring it on. I tried to do that but it has changed since I spoke with her, and become overwhelming and is preventing me from being functional,sleeping and so on. i now fear the telephone meditations. The pains don't come every time. I do the reverse breathing. When I do small universe, which Darcie encouraged me to do a lot of, and I have been, I feel the qi moving from point to point, I see violet and sometimes a bit of gold around the outskirts, and when I breathe using all my skin and in the reverse form, some days I feel the qi moving into the electrical current pain from my feet to my waist. Sometimes it is unbearable--feels like I'm getting a shock and it will keep repeating. It has come on the last few evenings at dinner time and continues on and off all night, ending in the morning. Darcie said when I can't sleep to do small universe and when the pains are not so bad I stop but can do it all the way, it helps me feel less awful and more balanced when the new day dawns.

At this point I am walking with a cane and having a lot of difficulty walking, standing and I now do active exercises sitting even though I never feel this electrical current pain when I am standing. I can't stand up for too long without losing my balance as my legs are weak now.

I have always added the tapping of the tailbone after active exercises which is mentioned in the manual but now I will do it more as you recommend.

I appreciate your response (and the one from remedios) and I am going to take what you've both said and try to follow your advice and keep trying and not give up yet. I want to thank you for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by Trixie; 04/04/11 01:42 AM. Reason: I forgot to add a line.
Trixie Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear remedios:

I want to thank you for your learned and wise response. It gives me a lot of food for thought and is very helpful. I think you are right on about how I create more blockages with my feelings of disappointment and fear of the pain. Your suggestions for how to cope with this are very good and I will try them. I have historically had difficulty feeling loved (and feeling lovable) and now is no exception. I find it hard to imagine that the universe loves me unconditionally. I cannot come up with any person who has loved me unconditionally or at least I never consciously experienced that. I also relate to what you said about pushing love away for fear of mistreatment. That resonates a whole lot. I am going to try the visualizations which you suggest. Everything you said touched a place in me--a place of truth. I am very grateful to you for responding.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved