Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello all,

I'm currently at 5B. I cope well with prepare, preview and photoread, but I have awful experience with activation.
I photoread the Photoreading Whole Mind System. I tried super reading but i don't get it i guess. While i look at the center of the line and go down it looks like speed reading but i don't get anything. After super reading i know as much i as i did after the photoreading. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it just doesnt work for me so far. I state my purpose i ask question...

I'm in university now and i have to read a looot of books and be able to write about them and know them front page to last page to answer questions. Is it possible to activate the entire book. I don't know where to dip when i need all the information for my exam.
Tell me your oppinion. What am i doing wrong ?

Last edited by Atlantius; 04/27/11 04:39 PM.
Learning Strategies Admin

If you're having trouble with the activation chances are you don't have a purpose, didn't write down trigger words or mind probing questions and are just passively waiting for something to jump out at you. When you answer your questions you gain knowledge. Without a purpose, curiosity and questions nothing happens.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you for your answer Alex.

I stated my purpose clearly and created mind probing questions. May be the problem is that the book is in English. I know english but it is not my native language. May be it is hard to activate information in other language. I will try with book in my language to see the result.

More layers. It's easy to give up too soon. Consider how long it would take you to read the traditional way. I know for my experiment with a book where I studied the language only 18 months of high school. I worked out it would have taken me 21 plus hours to read the 200 pages (Not that I ever finished) My comprehension may have been 20% at best. I spent 3 hours with the book (counting breaks of an hour so physically I only worked with the book 2 hours) building in layers I obtained 70% comprehension. The key is to build in multiple layers not try to get it all at once.

When you can accept in the beginning with the first activations you feel like you're not getting much and let it be okay, then keep going. You'll get what you want from the book sooner.

People canspend 30 minutes in the first chapter and still know nothing. If in the initial 20-30 minutes you answer one to three questions you've moved beyond the first chapter.

Alex

OP Offline

I tried to photoread a book in my native languge. After the activation I really understood the book i'll have to say maybe 60-70%. However i think the biggest part of what i remembered is from the preview and the mind map of the chapters. Im not sure if what i remember is from the photoreading or i just did a good preview and mind map. I somehow need to know something really specific that is not from the main idea of the book to proof that it worked for me.
The strange thing is that in 2 days i cant get to stop thinking of the information i got from the book.

Im not sure i do super reading right. If i look at the center of the page and move my eyes down the page i dont get nothing i look at the words but dont really get them to find something for diping. I'm good at rapid reading and the skittering but i dont quite get the superreading.

Regards

Last edited by Atlantius; 04/29/11 09:58 PM.
OP Offline

I want to ask one aditional question. How much time would you say its good to superread and dip for book around 200 pages?

If you're still thinking about the book after 2 days there are probably more answers that your non-conscious mind is attempting to get your conscious mind to be aware of. I recommend doing some more activation to answer the questions that are keeping your mind on the book. As you become more skilled with PhotoReading your conscious mind starts receiving the information from the non-conscious mind better and jumps faster to the place where you need to look.

Superreading. If you get nothing you probably; don't have a question, need refine the question or need to relax and allow yourself to notice the words. If all that is okay then, if you don't find places to dip then try a different part of the book if the answer is there you'll find it. If not, refine the questions and look over the trigger words again, check the TOC and even check the index. It's possible that your curiosity located one small idea in the book. I find it interesting when that happens. The book becomes a tool to some other questions that have been on my mind and perhaps not a good question for the book. Just a sentence that answered something I was pondering.

Quote:
I want to ask one aditional question. How much time would you say its good to superread and dip for book around 200 pages?

Twenty minute layers as many as it takes for the book to gel. See the 5 day test.

Alex

OP Offline

I will try the 5 day test and tell you the result. With the superreading im not sure i do it right. If i go down the page looking at the center and if i see something to dip i do it but how am i suppose to know something specified from the book i photoread?

Do i have to activate everything with diping and rapid reading or if is it like chain, if i read something it activates similar information?

I had Corporate finance exam today and it included test and solving problems. I know its not that good of idea this photoread that kind of book while im still learning but i had to try smile I know that technical books or fantasy is not good for learning but almost all of my book are fantasy,fiction and technical... I don't expect to know the formulas from this stage of my photoreading but after doing the whole mind system with the book i tought i'll be prepared for the test. I knew couple of questions but most of them didn't mean anything. I activate it on layers and even rapid read it twise.

I know that the real information in books is 4 to 11% but in this books almost all of the information is important and i have to dip in like 75-80% of the book. Do i have to use something different to activate book like that?

I really appreciate your help Alex. Thank you!

Last edited by Atlantius; 05/04/11 02:26 PM.

Make sure you have questions for the author as you activate. If you have no questions you fall into the trap of passive reading.

When studying activate a chapter until it gels. Be sure to mind map as you go for daily review if you need to know the information for exams. Mind maps are easier to review than notes.

If you think you need more from a book activate more. Activate until you're finished. You're finished when you've satisfied your purpose and don't feel you need more from the text.

Alex

I would keep at it, it seem to me that maybe your over thinking it. I am also in the university and I have to read a few chapters a week. what I do is I photo read everything at the beginning of the class then as I need them I will photo read right before I go to bed the chapters I will need the next day. The next morning I will activate them. I have very good luck doing it this way.

My moment of enlightenment was when I photo read the entire course before the class started. One week the teacher asked what we thought was the best process to write a paper. Not how we write but what we thought was the best process. I wrote what I thought was the best process and while wiring it down I thought to myself this is good stuff right here. I was amazed at what was coming to mind. The next week the chapter was on writing processes and it was everything that I wrote down the week before. So what happened was even though I never activated the chapter I was able to draw the information out when the question arise. This made me realize it was working. I had faith before this but this solidified its effectiveness.

Keep at it and it will come to you. Relax and let it happen. Think about this way even if you photo read the chapter a few time and had to activate it you will still save time. the first few times I did it I photo read and super read the chapter a few time not sure if I had done it write what I realized when I was super reading the second time was it seemed like I had already read all of it before. So it was easier to skip the stuff I didn’t need to know and focus on what I did. The reality was I knew the information, I was just not confident in my skill at the point.

good luck you will do great

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved