Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi
I am from India.I have bought both the classic and deluxe course and have tried Photoreading .I find that for indepth reading and preparation for distance education programes the photoreading method is not very useul.We need to understand and remember an entire book for each subject.Do you have any suggestions to prepare for such programmes.i do although admit my comprehension levels have gone up very high.Recently i came across Howard Bergs method of remembering data for study purpose,he calls it the ABCDQ method.Well its one way of taking notes.Do you have any suggestions of going ahead with the photoreading method for indepth preparations!!!!

Learning Strategies Admin

If you're having difficulty using the system on educational material you haven't taken time to learn the system first.

It's important to have a purpose. Having done distant education prior to learning PhotoReading and knowing how to apply PhotoReading and having studied after learning PhotoReading I can assure you there is a significant difference. I save more time and have a deeper understanding of what I studies.

If you're rushing and as you said you have only tried it, you haven't actually learned PhotoReading. I recommend you do the course as instructed while listening.

Once you learned on material not relating to your studies it's still important to have a purpose for the material you are studying.

Alex

Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

i have understood the system.i use photoreading on everything.let me explain"my purpose is to master a subject in project finance".i want to use the tools in project finance to decide and set a project for my company.thats my purpose.now i prepare,preview and photo read.i activate and mindmap the book.but the examiners questions us on many aspects given in the book.once or twice answers have popped up in my head,i have had aha experiences but how do i do it more and more effectively.so it requires many days of normal reading and reviewing.so in such a case how does one use the photo reading more effectively.How do i keep refining myself to ease things out.when i mean i tried ,i only mean that i am not being able to refine my studies further.

Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

also guide me how to exactly use the system.remind me what i should do to get the system running,meaning,should i start photoreading and applying it on 5 or more books daily.is that what you are communicating that i havent understood photoreading yet?

DO you mean that i should apply it on many books do the whole process ,the 5 steps and get my purpose out of each book in 30 mins ,do it as a drill over and over.
thats how i will be able to use it better and better?

my purpose is to master a subject in project finance" is not really a purpose... purpose explains what you are doing and why.

... so that I can.

Try clarifying your purpose first. It becomes your measuring rod for getting the information you need.

I suggest you first try searching the forum for discussions about purpose.

All 5 steps apply if you want conscious comprehension of the book. The more books you PhotoRead and activate the faster you become. Get your confidence up on text not related to graded education material first.

Do the 5 day test on a few books. It's explained in the PhotoReading book.

If you haven't done so. Read the PhotoReading book as per instructions on the very first page.

Alex

Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Alex thanx a lot.I understand what you mean .Let me tell you my anxiety.
I have been photoreaidng for many years now.I have put my faith into photoreaidng.I have been extremely happy with what i have learnt.You see i have read great bestsellers like tipping point,outliers ,world is flat ,fifth discipline all by applying the skils i learnt in photo reading.
The greatest satisfaction i have had is that i could construct and come across the message and spirit of these books pretty fast.
Now i took up higher studies in Finance to enhance my market value.im an engineer.
I photo read many books .Now when i read a book on accounts i had a strong purpose to understand the principles of accounting and use it in office.
One day there was an issue on a balance sheet item.We were studying trial balance with chartered accountants.My boss who is a chartered accountant asked the group when do we use a suspense account.Only i prompted when we find that the trial balance doesnt match.He was extremely delighted.I did not know from where this answer prompted out but i knew and could feel it.It was my aha experience i mentioned earlier on in my communication with you.Now came the big problem,How do i duplicate that with other books how do i get good at this more and more.I have been acing my tests so far but my frustration is that im not at the level i think i can tap into Photoreading.I have invested lot of time and money and from a non believer im a beleiver today.I need guidance as to how to get very good at this.
Let us say i have a book on Business communication:
the chapters are:
1)forms of communication
2writing
3)writing good news messages
4)Writing bad news
5)Presentations
6)Documents and transmittals

How do i set my purpose ?or rather what is a good purpose ?how do i activate each chapter?How do i go about photo reading the book?how do i get good at this game!!!Our exams in distance learning ask questions from nook and corner of the book.so multiple reads and a great memory is a must!!!

Help me Alex .Thanx again!!!

Quote:
How do i duplicate that with other books how do i get good at this more and more.I have been acing my tests so far but my frustration is that im not at the level i think i can tap into Photoreading.I have invested lot of time and money and from a non believer im a beleiver today.I need guidance as to how to get very good at this.

You're not going to like my answer unless you pay attention to the answer.

Don't try to duplicate it. Each book is different. You don't behave quite the same way with your best mate and your mother do you? Don't treat each author the same. Be aware of your experience with the book you are working with and stop comparing.

Quote:
my frustration is that im not at the level i think i can tap into Photoreading

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. If you're passing, then subconsciously you might be doing enough.

Dump the frustration. That going to keep you at a stand still. Become curious. You know what works, now do some things differently. Experiment. Draw more than writing on your mind map for example.

Your task from me... grab the PhotoReading book and find the learning experience diagram. (I've not given it the correct title) Learn about Frustration and Confusion and read about NOPS
Both are in the PhotoReading book and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find and read if you really worked with your PhotoReading book.

Your purpose is important. Remember what your purpose was when you PhotoRead the books where you had the spontaneous activation.

Spontaneous activation is spontaneous it happens without warning or premeditation. You cannot do anything to force spontaneous activation. Force is not spontaneous. Force is manual activation. So you may as well use the manual activation techniques that work.

Purpose,

See the chapter on the first step of the system Prepare. Read how to form a purpose it's explained in that chapter and on the forum many times. ... so that I can.

If you have trouble getting stuck with one author on a subject, find others and PhotoRead them. PhotoRead the recommended reading books. Then go back to activating the required text.

PhotoRead course material often. Daily for a week or more. It doesn't hurt to PhotoRead it daily for a month. That will increase the chances of spontaneous activation. And will make manual activation easier when you know your purpose.

Treat each chapter of textbook as a book in itself. Activate in layers.

many shorter activation periods are better than one or two longer ones. Yes you can activate in 5 minute blocks I prefer 7. Don't go over 20 minutes without a break and a quick review. If you mind mapped review takes 60 to 90 seconds. If you took longhand notes. I'll bet it takes 3 to 5 minutes a page. Getting the idea why mind mapping is better?

Review your mind map before you start your next activation layer along with your purpose.

If you're being examined on the material. Review each mind map daily for a week after it's first creation. Then once a week, for 4 weeks and monthly after that.

Alex

Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Thank you.I am really amazed and thrilled.Let me explain.
I gave you my question on 08/feb.i went home that day.I had written my query fommy Office PC.I went home and late in the evening at around 22:30 hrs IST i tried to login to the net.For some reason my network connections were down.It is down still and i have complained to the telephone exchange about this.Now to the main story.Next day ,i.e: on 9/feb for some reason i opened the Photoreading book,i have the 3rd edition.For some reason i turend to page 86 of the book.I read through the sectionon studying.i took out my text book and did what is mentioned in the steps.in fact first i photo read 3 chapters.later in the evening (i had photoread the book many may times already) i applied the studying method in the book for 5 mins i determined the purpose,did the affirmations,and i had mind mapped the chapters earlier.I reviewed them and rapid read the chapters.i did this for 90 mins.AAAAAAAAAAAAMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAziiiiiiiiiinggggggggggggggg----comprehension and amazing grip on the subject.it is as if i can give a lecture onit.
I was thrilled,cause my question to you on 08/feb worked as a strong purpose on finding a method to study and my mind told me this is were it is in the photo reading book.

Now i know...Just have faith and apply the system mentioned in the photo reading book and CDS!!!.i m so excited all of a sudden my stress on studies has disappeared.And as you said i must do it one at a time until i master it,do it on comfortable material.

I am really excited ,and also want to thank you for the suggestion you have give, i will treat each chapter as a book and apply the 5 steps!!!And thanx for the important idea on mindmap i spend a lot sometime and get disheartened!!!.Also the timing mentioned in each step is a good guide for us as to how to work on any book!!! it is really interesting and amazing.

I know how difficult it is to convince people until they have faith in this system.Im really grateful to you and Paul and pete and your team its great.
Thanx a lot pal
Will let you know my results!!!
Have a nice day!!

Quote:
it is as if i can give a lecture onit.

That better than just being able to remember what the author said. It shows you've gained meaning from the information. Well done.

Alex

Adarsh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Alex,
i opened the photo reading book and lo(amazing experience when the brain just shows us the way!!!!) the diagram of unconcious incompetence,to conious incompetence to concious competence to excellence...i think im in the second to third stage .i also read about NOPS...tthank you,really makes sense to me.I believe that Photo reading is not about speed reading (sillly as i sound it has beeen told many times) it is about outstanding comprehension at a very very high level,getting the spirit of the authors mind .so everything depends on purpose and faith and playing with the system...really started enjoying reading again,thank you !!!!!
One more help:how do you approach novels!any ideas for me.

Thanks again Alex superb!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved