Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81939 06/25/13 02:43 AM
gecko66 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello people smile

I have recently started the SFQ fundamentals program (three weeks in now).

I have a question regarding SFQ.

The main reason I’m practicing Qigong is for help with anxiety.

I’ve had some issues with social anxiety, blushing, self-esteem for most of my life.
(since mid teens).

Is it realistic to expect that Qigong practice can help in these areas?

Can anyone offer any thoughts/advice on this?

Thanks in advance,
M.

Last edited by gecko66; 06/25/13 04:04 AM.

Hi,

I'm new here, too, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer, but from my experiences with tai chi which has the same focus on breathing, mind and slow physical movements I'd say it's great.

Focusing on the body helps to take us out of our mind and away from the anxious mind. Deep breathing is an excellent way to calm oneself anyplace, anytime. And by doing the visualizations during the physical exercises and the meditations you help your mind to focus on that still, quiet place within. After a few weeks of practice I'm sure that we'll be more in touch with that quiet place inside in our daily lives, too, and that can only have a beneficial effect on our anxiety.

Although I'm even newer to this than you are, I hope this answer was of some help to you.

Best wishes
juliag

gecko66 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello JuliaG,

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope that regular SFQ practice will bring me more stillness+peace!

How is your practice going so far? I'm determined to do 100 days, practicing every day.

Cheers,
M.

Hi M.

I'm hoping the same thing, too. It's good to find someone else new to this adventure here, too.

I was doing pretty well with the practice, but this week, maybe because I just feel tired generally, it's been hurting my legs to stand in the same position for such a long time and one night I even woke up in the middle of the night with severe cramps in the leg. I think it must be because my posture isn't relaxed enough maybe, or just that I'm not used to standing in one position for so long, but I've cut my physical exercise practice time down to about 20 mins for now. I'm going to ask other members for advice about it, too.

Are you practicing at the same time very day?
I think the 100 day challenge is a great idea. I want to meet it too! Good luck to us both.

juliag

gecko66 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Julia smile

Sorry to hear about the leg cramps. I do find standing for 40 mins a bit uncomfortable, but I get pain more in my feet than legs.

I think it gets easier with practice, but it is uncomfortable. I think shortening your practice is a good idea for now. I've heard Chunyi say that you can do the exercises lying down/sitting, but I've never tried it like that. I'm sure there are others on this forum that could offer advice on this.

I used to do a style called fragrant qigong, and I would get the same thing from standing for long periods, except that my feet would often burn and feel pins and needles. My old teacher used to say that it was the chi working. Wasn't pleasant though....

As for the same time each day, I'm doing ok. I'm not exact and it depends what I have going on in my life. Most days I do that active exercises in the evening, on the days I do the Small Universe I typically do it around midnight.

In the manual for level one, Master Lin says there is no wrong way to practice, only good, better, best. So I don't think the time matters too much.

Hi M,

Thanks so much for your reply, I found it very encouraging and helpful. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, things have been a bit busy here.

Taking the practice down to 20 minutes to half an hour a day has really helped my legs, though a lot of tiredness and tension still seems to collect in them which wasn't the case before I started doing the Qigong which I find a little odd. I've also started 'warming them up' by doing a few circles with my ankles etc. before doing the physcial exercises which is what we do at tai chi class, and that seems to help, too.

Fragrant Qigong sounds interesting. Do you do it to incense or essential oils or something? I usually have my essential oil lamp on anyway, it's just something I do when I get home from work at night to help me relax.

I like that: only good, better and best ways to practice. Need to take another look through the manual I think! But first on with the physical exercises for tonight. Hope you're managing to stick with it, too. I find I sleep sooooo well if I do them right before bed, so that's what I've been doing most days. I wake up in the morning feeling so at peace and rested, even if I don't yet manage to keep that feeling with me all day long.

Hope it's been helping with your anxiety, too. Have you noticed any improvements at all? I found that deep breathing into the situation when I was having some problems with a student (I'm an esl teacher) helped me to remain calm and maintain a loving attitude despite her decidedly unloving one, so I'm glad to say I think it's already having some small but very positive effects on my daily life.

Take care and see you around

julia

Last edited by juliag; 07/15/13 02:34 PM.
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Dear Gecko66,

The Self-Concentration exercise in the Basic/Level One home study course does a nice job relaxing, opening channels, and then having you be in a calm, joy-filled space before finishing. The Butterfly Meditation is similar, and I'd recommend it.

My wife has worked along side Master Lin for many years and is working with private clients now. The first thing she's mention, would be to smile and breathe into your lower dantian when you are in a situation where you feel ungrounded, or nervous.

Much Love,

Shawn

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Here's another note from Master Lin:

Quote:
Hello my dear friends! Here's a way to help train to control emotions:

Take 3 deep gentle breaths and put a smile on your face.
Say to yourself
" I notice I am getting this emotion."
... "I notice I am getting so upset"
"I notice I am (sad, depressed, angry, etc)"

This accepts the knowledge.

Then ask, " Why do I have this emotion? Is it worth having this emotion at this moment?"

The answer is that it hurts our health, our energy and digestive system. We learn from this. The body needs energy to support the emotions and digestive system so many times people eat more sugar when they are under stress. Too much sugar makes the system acidic and unhealthy. Add salty things and that stresses the kidneys.

Much Love, Shawn

One home study course does a nice job relaxing, opening channels, and then having you be in a calm, joy-filled space before finishing.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved