Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Stweet #83310 07/03/14 11:44 AM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex,

For purpose, I Have been very careful this time. I know this is the step that decides the result at PhotoReading. so, if I get no results, I probably have an irrelevant purpose.

So I even played with setting my purpose. I started all again with small 30-40 pages non fiction stories.
I was interested in the storyline, the main characters, the ending and the morale... so i set my purpose, ' to understand this interesting story, so that i can narrate it to a friend after two days'.
and I could now find the trigger words easily than before. For many books, it took me 5 activation passes and for a few, just two activation passes had been enough to get my initial purpose satisfied. but, the comprehension still seems distant, and also the 'gel' effect.

May be, I need more practice or I seem to have misunderstood the benefits of the program. my expectations were, to get 'better' comprehension, better 'recall' in 1/3rd the time than i get while traditionally reading a book. But, how will it get me better comprehension if the system tends to help me just locate the info which then I will have to read consciously anyway! (Dip)
For recall, I don't consider myself to be qualified for, being just a month old for the system.
As for 1/3rd the time- it is an added advantage, but now it seems to be that, you get to locate only the info that satisfies your purpose and get it understood within this record time, and not the entire book!

What drives me crazy is that I failed to find any post in the forum that assures me I don't miss a single thing from a book. All I am interest in, is the comprehension and coverage even at max half the time than traditional reading.

Adarsh,

Thank you very much. I have read your other posts as well. Your first breakthrough, and further success is very appreciating. and most importantly, your patience.
Your support is great. Believe me, without your and Alex's support, I would have given up by now.

Failure and struggle is very frustrating indeed!
I dont know if there is a problem setting my purpose and mind probing questions or just need more practise for another month or so.
I have been playing with the system for more than a month now. My experience so far hasnt been very much in favor of the actual photoreading step. I even tried skipping the photoreading step for a book,and it still yields me same results as when I included it. HOW has it worked for you?

I am trying, learning, and seeking help in the forum...i am determined to master this system within a month from now for whatever it takes.

Thanks,

Stweet

Stweet #83311 07/04/14 04:54 AM

Dear Friend,
Will always extend support .Cause i can understand what you are going through now while learning the system.For me ,i had no other option.I have tried so many speed reading courses and thats one of the reasons i took longer time.Dont label anything.keep doing it.If you get frustrated and get down to regular reading dont beat yourself.Im only curious to know what type of books are you choosing to begin with.Cause that also makes a big difference.Have you read natural Brilliance?have you activated it til it gels?you must start with simple books to learn the system.I started of with a book called Fifth Discipline by Pete Senge and i got totaly frustrated.Its a great book but its very dense and huge.
I took more than 16 to 17 activation session and 5 to 6 session of mindmaps to get the entire book.I wanted to literally study the book at the level of mastery and application.My purpose was to be able to recognise all the system arhetypes in the company i am working in and provide solutions and be a systems thinker all my life.To enhance my market value as a problem solver !!!
Let me tell you why i am a big fan of photoreading.I have been an above average student all my life.But there was always a crucial element missing ,i could'nt apply what i had studied .And i was in awe of people who could do that.So i started searching for systems for learning.But the only system that really helped me was photoreading.I have passed 21 subjects in my course ,and believe me i have good memory of all the subjects i have studied and i can even see the ideas in action in daily life.I can recognise so many things instantly and relate it to the knowledge i have gained.Most important i am able to build on what i already know.This was not the case earlier to photoreading.I stuck to photoreading cause for some reason i could see geniuneness in Paul and then when i joined the forum ,Alex gave me the required edge.I have gone through the forum many times and gone through so many discussions and kept on making adjustments or kept reinforcing the ideas already learned.
Let me tell you in India wqe have a competitve exam call Common Admission Test.Its one of the toughest test in the country.Its required for entrance into preimum institutes.The preparation for cat is something like this.First you master the fundamentals in mathematics and English language.Then you take a 2 hrs test.Its an objective test.Then you analyse the test the following way.How many did i answer correctly?how many did i get wrong?how many did i not answer?for the questions answered correctly -can i do it better?For the questions i answered wrong,was it a silly mistake or was it due to lack of understanding?for the questions i did not attempt was it due to lack of time or lack of knowledge.So each 2 hrs of test one has to review in this manner for 10 days.And then review back the concepts where he lacks understanding or wants to refine for speed.Now do you think as one goes ahead with taking test more and more one takes 10 days to review .No.it takes shorter.Shorter cause you have added in so much more.Now that kind of preparation helps one to build knowledge and expertise.The reason i chose this analogy was that's exactly how one learns and masters a skill.One needs to review and hone thier skill and practice again.Each practice session should help you build more.You will not get hold of a new system just by magic!!!It takes some review and also some appreciation to recognize what is working(Develop Sensory acuity-notice things you have started understanding,or getting better comprehension,we fail to do that too and give it enough credit.One of the best affects of photoreading is very good understanding of the subject espcially if you have a purpose and activated it well--dont expect earth shattering results overnight).
My friendly suggestion to u is first dont give up!!!
second choose small simple books
activate chapter wise initially so that you get to know the entire book,cause initially this also irritates us ,we have been conditioned to believe that if we don't read in total then we are not reading well.We want to know it all.Thats when we understand the need for purpose.Some books you may want to "Read it all many many times" for your requirement.
For me i cant go back to my old system of reading.just yesterday i read 10 articles on taxation.I built on existing knowledge .Since they were small articles say 2-3 pages each ,i took very less time.I had photoread them 10 days back and had developed so many questions.So yesterday it was one exiting session of building on what i already knew.
I am in India and we don't get to attend any of the photoreading seminars,so if you are in a country where you can attend the course ,if it meets your budget do it.Cause physical presence of a mentor will make lots of difference.You can clarify your doubts.
And its just a system so don't label yourself anything ,just play with it and see.
Cause when you get it you will enjoy it.And one more thing i have stopped bothering about speed,what is speed actually?physical movement or instant application!!!For me its very fast understanding and application...you will get that with Photo-reading!!!

And i also write down my questions.So it sort of helps me focus.In office if i get time to photoread .I type down my question on MS word and it helps me review longterm and activate books many days later cause i can look back at the questions again.Do more of the mindprobes.prepare well and activate in 20 mins see the difference.

Cheerio Friend all the best,Have a nice day!!!!

Stweet #83316 07/06/14 05:44 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Adarsh, Thank you for that.

I am not giving up yet. I know PhotoReading works and it will definitely work for me too! This is just a temporary initial phase when things don't start working for you and you have no clue where you are going wrong.

Practice seems to be the 'key' here.

I have a few personal questions to you, thought I would PM you, but you don't seem to accept PM.

Anyway,

Thanks

Stweet

Stweet #83317 07/07/14 05:01 AM

I tried to send you a pm .i dont know why it doesnt work?Alex i tried a pm to myself and i get a message that the user doesnt accept messages?
can you help me out with that

Last edited by Adarsh; 07/07/14 06:52 AM.
Stweet #83318 07/07/14 06:54 AM

i think i figured it out,checked my profile and for some reason the radio button for Private messages was checked off,i have changed it.
I think i should receive the private messages now.

Stweet #83319 07/07/14 08:34 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Non fiction books are books considered factual, informational

Fiction books are stories. usually based on the imagination of the reader or entertainment loosely based on a life.

The type of books you should be learning the system on are non- fiction. Fiction, stories tend to be for entertainment and as such not suited for learning PhotoReading because they are intended to take your time.

Don't cross your eyes during the PhotoReading step. And if your mind wanders to, doing the laundry, washing dishes, negative self talk, you aren't PhotoReading. You've given your mind the command that this doesn't matter. If it's important, stay with your purpose and the rhythmic turning of the pages and the chant to stay in command at the PhotoReading step.

Quote:
What drives me crazy is that I failed to find any post in the forum that assures me I don't miss a single thing from a book. All I am interest in, is the comprehension and coverage even at max half the time than traditional reading.

I can't help laughing about that. You get about 10% from what you read traditionally. You miss every single thing with traditional reading more so because it's a passive approach to reading.

With PhotoReading you've seen every word in the book as you flipped the pages. You activate from fast to slower in accordance to your need. It's possible to just PhotoRead a book and know you don't need any more comprehension from that book than that. From experience I know I've come across too many books that promised a lot and produced nothing. There have even been books that didn't live up to their title. I lost nothing from those books and save a lot of time. Instead I turned my focus to other books.

I do appreciate the better than 10% knowledge of a book two weeks later. That was the major reason I became a PhotoReading instructor. I discovered while I could read, and I thought I could comprehend what I read, I missed and lost a lot with traditional reading.

Activation brings to consciousness what you decide is important. Only 4 to 11% of a book carries any meaning.

Your comment about dipping, tells me that you're still passive in your activation approach. You're not really asking the author questions.

A good writer explains in more way than one, what they want the reader to understand. You as the reader only need to attend to the version that makes the explanation clear to you.

Since reading is a personal experience and everyone gets something different from a book. You only want what you need from the book, you don't need everything another person knows to succeed with what you're doing.

Alex

Stweet #83320 07/08/14 07:56 AM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex, thank you again.

Quote:
Don't cross your eyes during the PhotoReading step.

I didnt get you there. How do I get the 'blip page' then?

Quote:
Activation brings to consciousness what you decide is important. Only 4 to 11% of a book carries any meaning.

Yes. They do. And a 5 day test gets you your purpose. But then what about books carrying highly discrete information? like, reference manuals, field guides, handbooks and journals? These usually carry no central theme and stress little on comprehension.

Regards,

Stweet

Stweet #83321 07/08/14 11:09 AM

Soft focus or not... If you're crossing your eyes you're not in photofocus, thus not PhotoReading. It's a divergent gaze. For now, use the imaginary X-technique if you're developed the habit of crossing your eyes. Forget about the blip page for the time being. Using the imaginary x-technique is more in photofocus than crossed eyes.

Reference, field guides, handbooks, are usually used as go to reference books. They aren't normally read are they? One usually opens them up when they want a quick answer to something.

No one reads the whole book if they need to know if that black snake with the yellow belly that just bit your buddy is poisonous. You check the handbook on snakes andlook up black snake, yellow belly and then read the description for those, don't you? That's how reference books are designed to be used.

Of course, if you PhotoRead the book and your buddy was bitten by such a snake, you'd say, poisonous and act quickly. If you're willing to trust your intuition.

If you're planning to be a snake handler, you'd decide what you need to learn first. You could start with snakes in your local area that you might come across in nature, or you might work on getting to know the snakes that you work with in the local park.

It's up to you and your purpose. The question is, What do You want to know and Why

Alex

Stweet #83323 07/09/14 05:26 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

The Accelerated learning state itself feels so soothing, mind just discards every thought and feels very empty.
What is desired to do in the photoreading step while flipping? like, visualizing the text being absorbed by body or think of tangerine on the head or think of absolutely nothing? I observed my chanting becomes so automatic after a while, that the conscious mind starts seeking some other thought/activity to get itself busy with.

Thanks,

Stweet.

Stweet #83328 07/10/14 02:38 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

What is desired to do in the photoreading step while flipping? like, visualizing the text being absorbed by body or think of tangerine on the head or think of absolutely nothing? I observed my chanting becomes so automatic after a while, that the conscious mind starts seeking some other thought/activity to get itself busy with?

Regards

Stweet

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved