Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Stweet #83329 07/11/14 09:25 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

The purpose of entering the Accelerated Learning State, is to bring yourself into a neutral, toward positive attitude to the task at hand. Hint... ALS is not only for PhotoReading. Can and should be used for quite a few other learning related activities. It helps you yo get into the zone faster. Empty and relaxed is good. Remember to affirm your intent and purpose

During the PhotoReading step you're busy keeping the mind busy with the chant and seeing the page, start visualising, you're not seeing the page.. The purpose of the chant is to give the conscious mind something to do while it participates in the PhotoReading step. And if the mind wants to wander off on the chant, and you let it, it means you're agreeing, PhotoReading this book is not important.

The chant can be anything that keeps your conscious mind from wandering off. So why not chant your purpose, or say the alphabet.

Alex

Stweet #83333 07/16/14 09:12 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

My Success with PhotoReading so far.

My Improvement-

Smooth page turning, relatively quick induction into ALS, the whole to parts approach is great. Books no longer appear as a bunch of tightly bound papers. 7 minute multiple activation sessions contribute to some more details each time, size of books stopped bothering.

My Material-
1. Short stories and non fiction (15-20 books)- by graham greene , roald dahl, james hadley chase etc.

2. self help- how to win friends and influence people, 7 habits of highly effective people, recipe for success, pranic healing etc

3. Misc - men are from mars women are from venus, encyclopedia of humor, few idiots guides, reference annuals, books on birds, dishes, health etc.

My purpose-
1. for stories - to understand the story so that i can narrate it to my niece.
2. for self help, - to have positive effects on ____ areas of my life/ affect me in _____way... so that i can live a better life/ do this particular activity better way/ help people around me.. etc
3. for other books, I kept refined my purpose with each activation session, and for semi technical material like, idiots guides and referral annuals, I turned heading and subheadings into my purpose.

my results-
1. I have applied the system on approx 30 books so far. for most, I applied the 5 day test. with 9-10 activation sessions. for big books and semi technical material, I photoread and skitter few chapters everyday. I mindmapped a few books, but not very detailed.

2. Relatively technical material (referral annual, books on cooking, birds, health etc) give me results every time I apply the system. Though they contain discrete data, spotting trigger words and forming questions is easy. Locating answers to my mind probe is quick and easy. Comprehension is no problem since there isnt much to comprehend. Huge data, numbers, charts and diagrams don't seem familiar or easy to remember.

3. For books with storyline, I spent around 2 hours total time (multiple 7 minute sessions) activating each book so far, few areas where I dip into seem familiar but no comprehension of entire book. I even tried rapid reading a few books, but apart from a few passages I dip earlier into, other text doesn't seem much familiar. But it gives full comprehension on the go.

4. Very short books comprehended fully, but the next week, I feel to have missed something. I have to seek help from my mind maps to revive the entire story again. Is comprehension from Photoreading really so short lived? or it hasn't started working for me at first place?

Do I need to use memory improvement programs with photoreading? I need to remember heavy and very discrete info.

How does PhotoReading work with a book with numbers and charts, since everything is right in front of your eyes and there isnt much to comprehend, but just data and numbers?

Regards,

Stweet

Stweet #83334 07/17/14 05:13 AM

i am no expert i'm sure Alex will reply to this but i wanted to share that you are doing pretty well.

From my perspective (strictly this should not limit you though,its only meant to be supportive!!!)
you are too impatient for results and have to build on your success get 4 to 5 books completely ,experts may say this is not required but in my case this helped me to know that i don't need everything from the book,that cleared me with my purposes ,that cleared me with the type of questions i want answers to,it helps a lot.Get 4 to 5 books to gel completely,meaning total conscious comprehension.
Also work on detailed mind-maps this also helps!!!!

You are also having a conflicting belief which you must resolve "... other text doesn't seem much familiar. But it gives full comprehension on the go. " It seems to me you still have an underlying belief that one has to read everything in order to understand everything.Isn't it interesting to know that inspite of missing out of so many aspects of the text you are still gaining comprehension.

How so?that's the beauty of photoreading.THe text is already there in your non-concious mind,you activate to get conscious comprehension.That's why with each activation you get faster results that's why Paul says 4 to 11% of the entire text has greater relevance,they carry all the meaning .

You activate to get 4 to 11 % of these golden nuggets to comprehend fully for your purpose.
Looks to me you are at conscious incompetence stage.Where you are getting results but you still to put in more practice,you are aware...By just doing more, stepwise you will be consciously competent and then move ahead.
Thats why Alex appreciated me on my earlier post on "Mindprobe",really get into "what you want from the book from the chapter and improve on the questions?" the techniques will start getting automatic.

More so check your limiting beliefs...why read everything to get what you are getting with reading a few ? interesting isnt it?This applies to novels too ,i know see myself super reading novels wherein i just pick words and phrases and i am gaining complete comprehension of the text,infact a better feel of the novel ,very interesting!!!!

Actually Super reading and skittering differ only in technique the outcome is same!!!you pick the scheme of the author ,pick relevant words and phrases and get full comprehension of the text.

Hope this helps.

Stweet #83335 07/17/14 09:19 AM

Quote:
I spent around 2 hours total time (multiple 7 minute sessions)

You're not really very accurate with your time. You do multiple layers but say "around 2 hours" Really keep a check on the time you spend with the book 6 7 minute activation seem like a lot especially if you've taken a break between activation but that's barely 42 minutes with the book.

Also if you're applying the 5 day test, each activation is 30 minutes.

If you're not getting the story for the book you're not really asking relevant questions. What is the story about, who are the relevant characters, how would I tell the story to my nice (notice your purpose here.) And the secret question to ask before you activate the next chapter in a story book (or even non-fiction book) What do I think will happen next or what do I think the author would say in answer to my question.

If you're building comprehension of a story book with multiple activation layers, mind map. However short stories I'd set aside about 30 seconds a page (children's books) Less if they are picture books or have a pictures and use rapid reading. Work from beginning to end of each story. Books with multiple stories naturally focus on one story at a time.

An yep comprehension from reading is very short lived. That's why I recommend mind mapping and activating more often and activate for that "I feel I'm missing something." to build the body mind connection which also trains the remembering.

Watch out for that "I'm missing something" though. When we learned to read, our instructor, the person sitting next to us while we read often said, no you missed something go back and read that again.

That's fine for learning to read, Now our purpose of reading is to be informed. Not every word on the page informs.

Read for meaning not the words.

In the beginning activate the book until you feel it gels. Then Rapid read it. [Rapid reading is reading from beginning to end using the appropriate reading technique for the section of the book that you are reading.] Consider the 80/20 rule. 80% of the information you can obtain in 20% of the time you spend reading.

After rapid reading, did you miss something? If yes, check was it part of your original purpose. Don't get mad use it as a learning point for improving your purpose and just say to yourself, when I activate this is the sort of information I want to pull up.

Again it's building the body mind connection.

When I PhotoRead a book I usually have the purpose of finding something new and useful to me [so that I can... it's a long list of possibilities here]. Then I PhotoRead the book (works great in bookshops) Yes, no? If my feeling says yes I Postview, My purpose then is finding my greatest purpose for the book. So that I can get the most value out of the information in this book, if you like.

Point here is, I developed my body mind connection. I flip a book and know whether I want to spend more time with the book.

For self help books
Quote:
that i can live a better life/ do this particular activity better way/ help people around me.. etc
don't be surprised if you get very little from the books with that.

For one, what you might actually need, use, be comfortable with, might turn out to be nothing more than one paragraph from the book or a quote. And that can be obtained in 10 or 15 minutes. And the rest of the book is, for now, redundant.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a case of need. What do you really need [Forget want - you never get what you want]. However this is often where people get the feeling they might have missed something. Reality check here, how much information can you realistically apply in your life? If you take away one idea and it makes things better, purpose met, problem solved.

Generally a lot of self help books are read without a real need. People might read the whole book and take away nothing. Because slow reading is boring. And most non-fiction books are not read beyond the 3rd perhaps 5th chapter. 30 to 40 minutes of reading. With PhotoReading you don't really miss anything, unless you want to, program yourself to, your mind will play games to give you what you believe. With PhotoReading you've at least absorbed the book, unlike the passive reader who quit the book somewhere around page 33. So if you take away one idea which matches one purpose and apply it, you have more value for money already.

What I'm saying, don't negate your experience, build on it. If you rapid read because you feel you missed something even after 6 x 20 minute activation layers. And lo and behold you did miss something. Pat yourself on the back. You followed the cue that you missed something. And can check why you missed it. Perhaps purpose was off, you discovered something that just became relevant today. I find it amusing how often I've found answers to someone else's question in a book I happen to be reading. Not my purpose and yet I found "that" was the most useful information in the book.

You'll also be surprised how much information the brain can process from data, infographics, charts and maps.

Alex

Stweet #83339 07/17/14 07:56 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Adarsh,
Quote:
Looks to me you are at conscious incompetence stage.Where you are getting results but you still to put in more practice,you are aware..

May be. It has been two months I started working, practicing. I am committed to PhotoReading 4 hours a day.

Alex,
Quote:
Consider the 80/20 rule

That holds true for most of the material. I started with smaller, lighter material and mainly story books, but my target material is dense material. Material with great details and fragmented data.

I have been doing a short experiment for a week. I have been photoreading a 6 page technical report on pollution around the globe. It consists mainly of tables and numbers. My purpose is to remember those critical figures and numbers and their relation with each other.

I photoread it for 7 days, 6 times daily, and then skitter it daily. All the data was right there in front of my eyes and still I am feeling nervous.

Being a beginner, I havent started with big technical books, but even this tiny experiment has left me in tears. I have no idea why it isnt working?
I wonder how much time it will take me to establish a sound mind-body connection! is it really that tough?

thanks,

Stweet

Stweet #83342 07/18/14 04:40 AM

what kind of tables have you studied?each database be it graph,tables or chart explains and provides for further analysis.The type of analysis for one type of database is also limited.For example let us say we have a table which gives us figures on population year wise and growth % wise.Now if someone asks us to derive what was the growth in terms of population for Women alone then the table is limited.I know i sound Pollyanna and maybe silly.But each table can be dealt it with to an extent we get information for.Now what is the data required for u.Many times at executive level people can easily refer back to the data and give answers.if it is for exam one can prepare the best possible questions that can be asked on the database and then one can memorise those answers.If you expect photographic memory out of photoreading you are at a wrong place.However i have had an interesting experience with my exams on Taxation.I could guess a certain number accurately and it was right.I trusted myself and it was a good guess.So much so i could remember the page and locatin photographically which helped me mark the answer.And mind u it was an objective question.Now my question suppose i did not remember the data in real life what would i do,look it up right?so why do you need to memorise so much data for.I remember reading Richard Feynman in my engineering days,a famous inspiring book called "Surely you must be joking Mr Feynman" in which he admits taking long time to memorise key figures and devise his own method to remember important ratios (i read it in 1993 so may not be right verbatim) and astound people about his capability.That brings to the point some people astound us with memory of large data ,but they would have factored in so much time,so why do you need to have memory of so much stuff?You can always take time and look it up.Memorisation is a different ball game.Analytical reading is a different ball game.It takes time.Photo reading gives us a quick structure .But Analytical reading like the one you pointed out on tables and graphs it takes its own sweet time as per the purpose and relevance it commands!!!

Stweet #83343 07/18/14 10:18 AM

6 page technical report, photoread 6 times daily for 7 days? Has the brain shut down yet?

PhotoRead it once, then activate with a quick rapid read (superreading speed). Use authors train of thought, draw a 4 quadrant mind map. Problems Solutions Arguments and Relevance. Work out what you learned in terms of your purpose. If you were doing this in my seminar you'd have 7 minutes to do this in and yep. I'd pull the book away to stop you from sinking in at this point.

Since this is probably important to you. Take a break and I mean take a break. Hour at least or overnight is good. Then come back to it and build your memory. Authors usually explain, what is import about this graph, data list, or what I'm showing you in this graph, data list somewhere near the the data or graphs.

Since from what I understand, you want to memorise this information.

It's easier to memorise stuff that has relevance. That's why you work on the 4th quadrant of the mind map. Find the relevance, to you, about the data.

For example. A graph about the dating habits of teenage girls, might not have a relevance to a teenage male until he focuses on how he could use the information to get more dates (purpose) And then data like, girls with red hair tend to prefer boys with dreadlocks (I don't know if that's true that is made up by me for sake of discussion) would click with a boy who has dreadlocks, relevance.

This is built up. As one can imagine normally a 6 page technical article like that could take 90 minutes to commit to memory. If you chunk it 7 minutes superread and some 3-4 minutes exploring the the relevance of the problems, arguments and solutions [authors train of thoughts] you'll find it easier to remember. You've connected it to something.

Also I suggest you quit working with short material to get this. Get on with some solid material with real information to pull out. At least a subject with 250 to 400 pages, non fiction for now.

Consider we keep mentioning that only 4 to 11% of text carries meaning. (The real weight of the authors message) Then working with short text is like catching fish from fish tank at a pet shop with a bucket. It seems like you've not achieved anything because you see the same fish, just in a different container. Take the bucket to a creek and catch fish, it's a different more satisfying experience, even if it is more challenging.

I'm very proud of you for having stuck with it for 2 months and the results you've gained this far. Don't stress it, play at it. Make it play. Be a explorer, like a child testing how fast he can build a sand castle and water ways before the waves come and take it away. The child doesn't care that the sand castle might be washed away, or the waterway partly filled in. Doesn't care if he's not always successful. The child knows the next wave is going to be different, no two are exactly the same, so it's a new challenge each time to keep building his city near the wave. It's a game.

You've got the skills happening building sand castles, digging water / roadways [PhotoReading, getting better at activating], you know the next wave [book] is going to be different. Be like the child and challenge yourself to see what you build with the next wave.

Alex

Stweet #83348 07/22/14 06:09 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Adarsh and Alex,
Thank you.

I have started working with solid material.
Establishing highly relevant purpose and forming mind probing questions isnt a problem now.

I locate the text that can answer my question and now I dip in it with rhythmic perusal or skitter. If i feel I got something; I move ahead. If I am not satisfied, I look for some other place to dip.. is it how it is done?
When I dont get much even after skittering or diping multiple times, should I dip again and again till i fully understand the text?

Locating the page where my answer lies; has never been a problem. The text relevant to my purpose is there wide open in front of my eyes, but I still can't handle it. I rhythmically peruse, i skitter, i ask questions, i pass over it multiple times for multiple days... but nothing gels. There are just a bunch of trigger words, dozens of mind maps, and a long list of mind probing questions.

I wont say I didnt achieve anything as yet, I did improve on many things other than comprehension and retention.
Even though, something in this system has kept me attracted to it. It just doesnt let me avoid or give it up.

Thanks,

Stweet

Stweet #83349 07/23/14 10:21 AM

Quote:
When I dont get much even after skittering or diping multiple times, should I dip again and again till i fully understand the text?

You have my permission to do so. That's what building it in layers is about. First time reading something we might not get it after activating it has some time to incubate some more and then it becomes easier to understand, so it might be on the second or third pass that you get it.

Considering that analytical reading can be as slow as 60 words a minuTe and people usually need to read complex passages 3 or 4 times. Skittering at 300 words a minute once or twice... Well I think you can see the difference. It's much better use of your time to repeat with superreading or skittering than slow analytical reading 3 or 4 times. And yes you may slow down to analytical speed if the text requires it.

The point of the system is to find what you need to focus on and move over the rest.

Of course if you're asking what and why and the other is only explaining where and when, you'll have difficulty tapping so, pay attention to the who, what why, when, where and how. And you learn to notice the authors direction. Not to be like the reporter who only asks the questions that they have written on their memo pad before they met the author and the author hints at some juicy information that you really would want to know to satisfy your purpose. Stay flexible.

When you keep saying nothing gels... what exactly do you expect to have happen "when it gels"? Let's get on the same page with that because I get the impression we might not be talking about the same thing.

Your approach is fine.

Alex

Stweet #83350 07/23/14 02:12 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
The point of the system is to find what you need to focus on and move over the rest.

Oh.. now I see. I seem to have been expecting something different altogether all this time!! I was searching for cat food at a bookstore and got frustrated when I was told this isnt where you get it.

Those testimonials, examples and success stories in the book and on the website made me believe photoreading isnt just about reading, But about comprehending written text more effectively and effortlessly than we could ever do with reading with conscious mind. I was super excited to lay my hands on the book; like a child waiting for it's promised tour to Disneyland. I believe in gradual improvement and thus, never expected 'Eurekas' or 'aha's' before at least an year. But I do expect to see things rolling for me; after 2.5 months at least. And then realized I might never see them rolling because my expectations are simply not practical.
Reducing reading time to 1/3, 1/10 or 1/15 hardly got any of my attention. My profession stresses on comprehension and retention. I can afford to spend an entire day just on a single piece of paper. This was the main reason speed reading courses couldnt grab my interest.

Quote:
What exactly do you expect to have happen "when it gels"?

Well, I didnt expect magic. I expected a little edge in comprehension over to what I am already ripping with my traditional reading. I expected a little better results than the same results with a time saving process.
I noticed, owned, and played. I was surprised to see when i excluded the actual photoreading step on a few books,I was still getting the same results! I didnt want to believe this. Thats why my queries were redundant. I feared if the photoreading step is actually a placebo step that enhances this great learning system without actually playing a role in it. All apart, though I didnt find what I expected, the system is really nice and more productive, regardless I include photoreading or not.

You guys really helped me a lot. I am grateful to you for all your guidance.

Thank you,

Stweet

-A final query-, with so much talked about pre-conscious processing power of our brain, I was wondering if anyone can calculate with your subconscious mind? in other words, calculating without involving conscious mind? is it possible?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved