Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Stweet #83351 07/24/14 08:46 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

Oh.. now I see. I seem to have been expecting something different altogether all this time!! I was searching for cat food at a bookstore and got frustrated when I was told this isnt where you get it.

Interesting response. You realise the conscious mind is only capable of holding 7 plus or minus 2 bits of information a second. Which means no one really ever holds full conscious comprehension of a book or subject. Comprehension means calling up the information with personal understanding.

You do get comprehension with retention. So I was wandering what you were looking for when it gels.

So at this point in time you'd like your comprehension to be better than it was before with traditional reading? You seem to be suggesting that in traditional reading you're not satisfied with your comprehension?

Quote:
I feared if the photoreading step is actually a placebo step that enhances this great learning system without actually playing a role in it.

Yeah I get that. I was at that point about 6 weeks after I had PhotoReading working nicely for me. Universe punched that idea out of me pretty quick. That was before I considered becoming a PhotoReading instructor.

The book has gelled when it satisfies your purpose. And it seems your purpose is to comprehend the book fine on one hand but why do you want to comprehend it, what do you need the information for?

Quote:
-A final query-, with so much talked about pre-conscious processing power of our brain, I was wondering if anyone can calculate with your subconscious mind? in other words, calculating without involving conscious mind? is it possible?
based on first hand experience yes. Though I wouldn't rely on it. I still had to do the bookwork and calculations to find that I was correct. And that was a couple of years prior to PhotoReading.

Yes I believe we are capable of a whole lot more than we do. But we grew up with so much insecurity, does getting the answers wrong in a test makes one feel secure? Didn't help me nor many who I know. What it did was make us afraid of trusting our own mind our own answers, that we must be one hundred 100% sure that we have someone else's information nicely placed in our memory. And if that author is ever proven wrong... well lets not bring the writes and wrongs of various scientist and researchers into this.

Stweet, if you're interested PM me. Work on a book with me. We'll discuss each activation layer and your purpose. One thing I do know, if your purpose is just a goal it won't get you answers.

Too often people say tell me they want to absorb the book... PhotoRead it and you've done that. Then what... that was the purpose absorb the book. Like a sponge absorb the water. It doesn't do anything else with the water.

Or get a concept of what the author is talking about. Well you can get that done in 30 second. It's called preview. You then have a concept of what the author is talking about.

Stweet #83364 07/28/14 11:47 AM

Only thing i understand having been a pretty good reader,and a pretty good student earlier to learning photoreading,Photoreading has many advantages.Looks to me that u have invested lots of time on learning speed reading skills,like me.I had a hard time to understand Super reading.For me skittering was analogous to a scanning in speed reading skills.But super reading and skittering are not that.Its also not complicated.Its like bringing a lot of information into something definite by searching for a word or a phrase and the whole text comes active to you.You realise you understand a large part of the text by searching the 4 to 11% of the text that really carries meaning.So it all boils down to asking good questions and knowing why you want it.Why it gets complex for many of us ?we dont know what to ask for and we keep telling ourselves ,what to ask for ?how should i know ,what to ask for?

I usually go with my purpose and i cant explain it,its a gut feeling i make a summary of what the book is all about my mind is already creating a mind map of the book i have photoread and categorising information.

if you see no difference between regular reading and photoreading its (i think it is,im no expert,im just trying to help u with what happened with me) mainly because we still want a sure fire physical feeling with the text and we dont want to believe that 4 to 11% of the text will open up everything else literally.The only way to know is play wth it .That is really believe and try it on a book super read and dip (dont skitter---in my experience skittering put me to regular reading---i use it with text books only)and try to get 4 to 11% of the book and see if you know the book.Then regular read the book and see the difference.Then do some more.When you understand and feel the first experience it grows and its very hard to explain probably one needs to get tested.I used to do these drills when i learnt speed reading from the book by Tony Buzan.My comprehension really improved.But Photoreading did something totally different ,it helped me apply very fast.I had lot of apprehensions on using it with novels but now that overall my skills have improved i am enjoying novels too.I keep numbering them as Scene 1,2,3,4,5,...,what is scene -1 what are the characters what happens whats the situation who is involved then scene-2 ,then scene 3 ,so my eyes is picking up key words and i feel great ,its really like a movie and by the way thats how the author also writes a novel.He has an overall theme and then he constructs a jigsaw puzzle scene by scene.A non fiction book is more structured.For me my friend it looks like you have practised a lot on speed reading skills.I may be wrong just trying to help.Super reading is totally different its simple and its about questions and answers with words and phrases.And its effective cause the entire text is already absorbed in the photoreading text.

Im telling all this from my layman experiences and not from any researches!!!So tare of your old habits and look at it as if you have never learnt to read---think this is the only way to read and try it and let it seem frustating intially keep at it and see.
Have you completed one book until you have mindmapped it completely and rapid read it after the mindmap session .When you review the mindmap have u asked yourself in how many words can you talk about the whole book in a concise way,if no then try it first and see.

But of course as i said im no expert, i may be wrong ,not to fret we have Alex to help us!!!

Best of luck

Stweet #83367 07/29/14 09:05 AM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
Its like bringing a lot of information into something definite by searching for a word or a phrase and the whole text comes active to you.You realise you understand a large part of the text by searching the 4 to 11% of the text that really carries meaning.

This is what I needed! I had been wondering how the PR step helps us, and this is it! You see, I have had the system work for me but not the way you described; so was nervous about the 'exciting' part of the system that makes one stick to it.

Quote:
and we dont want to believe that 4 to 11% of the text will open up everything else literally

Actually, this is where I am stuck at. My hunches havent started guiding and it feels to dip at every paragraph.and after rhythmically perusing, it still doesnt make much sense. I keep passing over it after intervals, and it keeps on not making much sense each time. crazy But happy with all of the experiences though smile

No, I havent practiced speed reading. The entire PR system revolves around 'purpose' and mind probing questions. Setting a 'working' purpose is no easy task for me.

After my first breakthrough, I am going to ask Alex why and how our 'other than conscious' responds to our purpose and why improper purpose leads to no success at PR.

thanks,

Stweet

Stweet #83369 07/29/14 09:16 AM

Quote:
After my first breakthrough, I am going to ask Alex why and how our 'other than conscious' responds to our purpose and why improper purpose leads to no success at PR.

I just read your PM and you've given me perfect thoughts to work with. See the PM.

Alex

Stweet #83745 01/24/15 07:05 AM

Hey Stweet and Alex and Adarsh,

I just wanted to say, I have read through this thread and have picked up a lot. Stweet, I would like to know the results of your efforts. How has your practices improved since back in July of last year? Have you been more successful?

I have read through many posts on this forum and have not heard anyone talk about the successes after they have struggled for so long. the only ones I see talking about successes are those who have been giving advice. I would like to see some success posts from those asking for advice.

Thanks everyone,

Neal.

Neal #83746 01/25/15 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal
I have read through many posts on this forum and have not heard anyone talk about the successes after they have struggled for so long.

"Success", how do we define it mate?

It took me 1 year, to feel the effects of photoreading on daily basis. Going to the Accerlated learning state is just a deep breath away. Activation doesn't require me to actually super-read the book.
I find the core concept of what I am reading. Ask questions for it, set my purpose, and head on for more answers. Its like joining pieces of a puzzle. Its fun and exciting.
Random lucid dreams, litreally controlling some segments of dreams. Every activation brings new information. A new perspective as well.

Is this good enough to be called as success in photoreading?
Well in other thread, I did ask Alex this question. Here is his reply.

Originally Posted By: Alex
Usually when you just do it naturally, that's when you've got it. That's when you start looking at taking it to another level if you want to challenge yourself.

Stweet #83748 01/26/15 10:46 AM

Usually once someone gets it they just go about using it. Not so much bragging about their success. I think they probably have the good intention of coming back and posting, and then this happened and I just knew I got it. We don't really study how we broke through in something that challenged us.

Although if you want success... go back to 2002 on the forum end of march when I signed up. AlexK. I know I seemed to "get" it easily, and I've witnessed quite a few others getting it.

I've also seen some holding the gem of success in their grasp, dismissing it because they couldn't see that they had what was needed to make the next great leap.

That's why I tell my students, take what you got, don't dismiss it, don't judge it, build on it. Go and do another activation layer and another.

I did an experiment. Posted on the forum a couple of times. With a difficult subject, in a second language, to take myself back to being a beginner and what I discovered, is in the first activation I felt I got nothing but I wrote something on my mind map. That I chose to acknowledge was something although not much to say I was getting the book. It wasn't until the 3rd activation layer that I started seeing the book come together and that I was in fact relating to it. By the end of the last activation I knew I was finished. I wasn't sure I would be finished at the next one at the end of the 5th but by the end of the 6th I was finished. Actual time with the book was 2 hours. The time I set aside was 3 hours. I included breaks and wanted to finish the book in a 3 hour sitting. Traditionally it would have taken me 21 hours (if I actually read a book that long I never finished one of that type, it took me 2 hours to get through the first chapter.)

There I learned the importance of giving it enough activation layers. Most give up in the first three and yet it might be the 4th where the first books, we learn the system on our own, come together. And the fun? It gets even better.

Alex

Stweet #83749 01/26/15 12:37 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Neal,

I had considered photoreading to replace my regular reading. However, I learnt it doesn't cater my needs. This month I resorted to regular reading and using photoreading for direct learning.

Stweet

Seriously, how do we define success? I am always puzzled when people make such a statement. We all know what success means.

Photoreading claims you can read 25,000 words a minutes with 70% or more comprehension. In this case, that would be success. It drives me crazy when someone tries to avoid an answer by getting philosophical. Just answer the question.

And Alex, thanks for your response. However, letting people know you have figured it out or that you succeeded is not bragging. Bragging is, "hey, look what I can do. I am better than everyone else..." I want to hear at what point do people realize they got it? What changed at that point? What did they do differently that wasn't done before?

If I am teaching, those are the kind of examples I want to let my students know. Something that others can learn from. As a student, that would be invaluable because that could save me from struggling so much and possibly giving up because I am not getting it.

Currently, I am a very analytical person. However, I like to think I have an open mind as well. I believe there are many for whom this system is working. I want to hear about their struggles and what they did differently to overcome. As has been mentioned often, Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Alex, I have no doubt that you are a wonderful teacher; however, since I can't work directly with you, I rely on this forum and comments that people make. So hearing that someone struggled for 6 months and then a light came on because they did this or this differently, is extremely valuable.

So, I want to know what I am doing that isn't working so I can change it. I want to hear from someone who struggled and then over came. What was it they did that caused a light to come on?

I don't want to hear philosophy. That means nothing to me.

Thanks everyone,

Neal.

Quote:
what I discovered, is in the first activation I felt I got nothing but I wrote something on my mind map. That I chose to acknowledge was something although not much to say I was getting the book. It wasn't until the 3rd activation layer that I started seeing the book come together and that I was in fact relating to it. By the end of the last activation I knew I was finished. I wasn't sure I would be finished at the next one at the end of the 5th but by the end of the 6th I was finished. Actual time with the book was 2 hours. The time I set aside was 3 hours. I included breaks and wanted to finish the book in a 3 hour sitting. Traditionally it would have taken me 21 hours (if I actually read a book that long I never finished one of that type, it took me 2 hours to get through the first chapter.)

So Alex, you talk about activation layers. Does that mean you active the same text several times? So if I am trying to activate a chapter in a book, I would do that several times until I get it, provided I have a good purpose and questions?

Thanks again,

Neal

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved