Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Neal #83770 02/01/15 08:50 AM

Neal,

You do not read at 25,000 words a minute. Photoreading is not reading photoreading is bypassing the critical,limited conscious mind so you can get the more powerful other than conscious mind involved.

Neal you are definitely getting feedback what you are doing or not doing is giving you feedback. The majority of the time when people are having activation problems is usually related to no purpose or no idea of what a person wants from the book.

You got to have some idea of what you want to get from the book it is absolutely essential.

You need to focus on yourself I mean you could talk to 500 people who did not know how to ride a bike and then they learned to ride a bike you could see all the things that they did to learn to ride the bike but eventually you need to get on the bike and learn for yourself.

The same principle goes for learning photoreading you need to have your own experience with Photoreading because while it is nice to hear of others success what really counts is your own success.

The other thing you need to think about not everybody learns the same way. You cannot just put the experience in a box and say such and such person was struggling but then they did this and suddenly they had success. Everyone is different just because one individual had success a certain way does not mean that everyone will have the same experience or get success the same way.

Photoread4me.

Last edited by photoread4me; 02/01/15 08:52 AM.
Neal #83771 02/01/15 09:07 AM

Neal,

You do the activation layers on the chapter until it all comes together whether that takes 10 passes, 20 passes or 30 passes you do it until it all comes together and you will definitely know when it comes together you will know that you got all that you could from the chapter.

Let go of the need to have it all now on the very first pass that is the old, ineffective reading strategy that you learned when first learning to read it is not a effective strategy.

Purpose, Mind-Probe & Questions are HUGE. If you do not have these you will just draw a blank. Your brain works with laser like efficiency but you need to tell your brain what you want that is why your purpose and mind-probing and questions are so important.

Photoread4me.

Stweet #83772 02/01/15 05:55 PM

Right, semantics. I understand what photoreading is. It is funny how people are ready to pounce and nitpick. I am getting feed back from people who already have it down; who have not mentioned anything about how they got there. And yes, Alex did, but like you said, that is just one person and we don't all learn the same way.

Would you hire a plumber without getting some feedback from other people? Better yet, would you take a skills class without knowing it is possible to achieve and what some of the struggles are to get there?

I have read in your other posts, you always say the same, that that the majority of people who don't get it, don't have a purpose. Well, guess what? I had a purpose, but was told it was not good enough. Then I looked at purposes offered up on this forum and they were not much more specific that my purpose was. I got the whole, you have to have a purpose that will generate emotion. Been there, done that. I also went through, as was suggested elsewhere, and developed questions from the index and other areas of the book.

Did I have a desire to learn the material in the book, YES. I also have a desire to learn photoreading. I bought the book several years back and really wanted it to work then and still have not been able to get it to work.

I am sorry, I am an analytical thinker. It helps me to learn from other people's mistakes and successes. If that is too much to ask for, then maybe it doesn't really work as there is no one who can articulate their experiences.

Your statement of, "you need to have your own experience" makes no sense to me if I don't know how to get there in the first place. It sounds like the old Chinese philosophers who answer a question with a question or some vague answer, and somehow expect the student to figure it out.

I already know that people learn differently; however, at some point, there may be someone with a similar background and similar personality, that just might be close enough for me to get something from their experiences.

Photread4me, you have posted a lot of good information in the past. I have ready many of your posts. However, the stuff you posted above just sounds like avoidance. I want to learn. I want clear instructions, but I keep getting philosophy. That is very frustrating.

Alex has also posted a lot of good posts, but then I see the same things in many of her posts as well. She will compare things like tying your shoes or other everyday tasks. The difference is, those have a specific set of tasks to achieve to be successful that EVERYONE can do the same thing to get it.

Photoreading does not seem to be that straight forward.

Thanks,

Neal

Stweet #83773 02/01/15 06:03 PM

Quote:
You do the activation layers on the chapter until it all comes together whether that takes 10 passes, 20 passes or 30 passes you do it until it all comes together and you will definitely know when it comes together you will know that you got all that you could from the chapter.

Ok, you basically repeated what Alex said. My question was simply, does that mean I activate the same material until I get it? A simple yes would have sufficed there.

Quote:
Let go of the need to have it all now on the very first pass that is the old, ineffective reading strategy that you learned when first learning to read it is not a effective strategy.

I am not expecting everything at once. I am expecting something. I don't get this whole, "play with it" thing. I have expectations. It does not make sense to me to go at this without some expectation. If I don't have any expectation, then what good is it?

Quote:
Purpose, Mind-Probe & Questions are HUGE.

I got that from the many posts.

Thanks,

Neal

Stweet #83776 02/02/15 10:23 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Actually if you keep holding on to the belief that PhotoReading is not that straight forward, you complicate it.

It's a set of actions, taught step by step and yep when people don't get it they are usually skipping the first step. Prepare.

Purpose.

I'm doing this

So

That

I

Can.

What ever comes after those 4 words is the purpose. And the reason you see so many post their purpose on the forum is that they are skipping the

So That I Can...

Do the 5 day test explained in the PhotoReading book for a few books. The what and how to approach it is right in the book.

If you wait until others lead the way, you will always be behind.

Alex

That's the point. I don't mind being behind if I get it at some point. This isn't a race, it is simply learning.

Thanks,

Neal

Stweet #83785 02/03/15 06:25 AM

neal
activate chapterwise until u get it---Dont number the passes ,just do it!!!
in my experience you will be frustrated initially.You will feel ,"hey i could have just read through".
The real benefit is long term by doing so,you will get good at structuring information ,to find information ,where it is placed,very quickly and easily.So that is the kind of compression of time we are looking at here.
As you do more and more you will start picking up words or a phrase from your super reading that explains a para or is the essence of the paras you read or the entire page in itself,you will recognize that a few pages are not necessary or superfluous to your purpose.You will have conflicts with this also ,you will ask yourself am i just being good at recognition only,then on with further experience you will realize that is really what is required.

Once you start doing that you will get better at asking better questions and then get good at assimilating information.

That has been my experience.I have challenged myself in many different ways.mainly because i had nothing else to hang on to .i have tried so many other methods of reading fast but it was
useless in different set up and with different books.

After you do one you will feel, "oh my once again,do all these rituals" ,but once when you do enough of these it kind of gets automatic!!!

Reading is still the toughest habit to master and that's why so few in the world read!!

With PRWMS u have a chance to condition yourself to read more easily ----so don't give up.

compare it this way.If there is one information from the book that i have read that is really useful to me ,Have i got it?if yes then you have succeeded.Linear reading seems to give us that but sincerely probe yourself could you structure information the same way and get the information so quickly?i doubt it.Cause i have done both on books.I find that be linear reading i am almost in flow with the authors presentation but at the end of it like i cant explain the structure and the ideas and the principles and the strategies in the book.its great with PRWMS .
Let me explain:
One up wall street
Peter Lynch
What is he telling us here
one is the basic thing before investing.That is before investing the mirror test---do you own a house?
second is grouping firms in an industry into 6 types
third when to invest and what parameters to look for when investing in these companies
Fourth when can we get out of these companies
Some of the important financial parameters and what Lynch studies them for ,what he derives out of this information.

Now barring these there are millions of other things in the book.
(by the way if you are interested in this book i urge you to read so that you understand that i am giving you the very essence of what Lynch discusses in the book,that way it will motivate you to try further.I also assume you may already be a better reader than me ,but what i want to share is that this is where i am as on day and this for me personally is a measure from where i was a ciouple of years back.I have grown as a reader!!!)

But if i discuss the above ideas with you would you agree that i have had a fair comprehension of what Lynch has discussed.
Would you agree that thats how he has arranged his book and then added and built on his book?
Supposedly so.

So thats what i did when i activated the book.Those were my mind probes and thats how i activated the book.

it took me roughly 2 hrs.

Now its a small book 288 pages.

Maybe i took more time. But my confidence is much more compared to linear reading.
Also this book for me is kind of a referral in the future.When i work on my investment plans i will keep going back to the book to further hone up my skills on stock selection.My mindprobes will be more specific.Do you think with such an understanding my activation during the time of need will be faster or slower.Compare me with a linear reader(in my case ---my old self) i would have to read this book again ,i would have to relook into so many things study it again structure it again ,really enquire into so many aspects again.With PRWMS its already in place.

Now compare the time taken by linear reading and PRWMS which has compressed time !!!So thats what i have been meaning in saying "application takes lesser time" isnt that fast isnt that real speed.Thats what one should look for in reading and activation?what use? what purpose?

2.Let me ask you if i had say read it linearly ,whether i would have been able to understand and structure information so specifically until i had come to the end of the book.In my experience it depends.There are good readers who do this with all the books they read.In fact these good readers will find PRWMS more difficult.I discussed PRWMS with my brother who has been a great reader since childhood.He has a simple strategy in mind when he reads a book he says all author has one important idea to discuss and one important thing to say my idea is to find that one answwer.He has never tried PRWMS but i said to myself "Brilliant Strategy" no wonder he is not stressed abotu reading for him reaing is fun ---he is looking for one idea or ione answer.All geat readers do that.With novels and stroeis they ask themselves what is the main idea which the story is based on?

I think Paul Scheele has beeen smart he has studied the entire reading masters and the rituals they follow and has devised a foolproof system for our use.

We can be good at structuring without PRWMS with some books especially if we have prior knowledge and have been used to such reading material.But to get that kind of structure one has to be very skilled reader.He must have had a method to study and structure information for a long time.

That is what PRWMS offers us.A structure to get more out of a book long term and at the same time instantly!!!

Linearly the time to read may be more or less
but overall the time to take away or recognise where the information falls into is very less.

The first thing i read in my text book on marketing is the fundamental difference between sales and marketing.

Now i see where most of the public sectors in my country is going haywire,they have not decided their market.Now how could i get it so easily ,cause thats how i activated the text book.I asked myself what is marketing all about and sales all about.What is the most basic principle difference between sales and marketing.marketing was find a need and building a product to satiate that need where as sales was selling what we have produced knowing not whether it is required or not?interesting but 100s of company forget to do this when they start.I read this definition 2 years back and i am giving it to you on the go as i type it here.For me this was possible because of PRWMS.i credit LSC for this Thats why i keep coming to the forum to give my views i have no other vested interest!!!

So thats what we are looking for to get good at.Asking questions and finding answers .But it will be more frustrating if we dont have purpose to activate.For me since i wanted an MBA the purpose was more or less there,but in real life we need to decide the areas we need to focus on and then find the books and activate them.

Hope this helps!!!!

Stweet #83786 02/03/15 09:52 AM

Just something additional.

My expectation with any type reading was to have a picture perfect memory of the book. Expecting to retain main ideas and main factual content of the book.

I carried out photoreading, with the same expectations. So I would do the Photoreading steps, religiously. But I never experienced any sparkling light or a moment which would pause me, and would flash the whole book in front of my inner eyes.

Then I somewhat gave up, and found the humble folks of this forum. Since then my motto has changed. So what did change my motto.

There are several factors, all have made deep impact on the way I perceived learning.

If we could remove the reading process that is the linear or the photoreading. We would learn the information the same way. So what did set Photoreading apart?

There are multiple factors, which makes photoreading just a bit advance than our linear method. As long as you understand this, its okay to study which method best suits your need.

I will name two major factors which is embedded in the photoreading, its spaced repetitions. Other is a bit complex to name it, or its just that I don't know what its called. Actually I am finding the article, which I am not able to find it for now. But I will explain it here.

1.Spaced Repetitions.

To study the same material over and over, to help one retain information for much longer.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition

Paul also talks about this in photoreading tapes. Comparing photoreading and linear reading. A photoreader will be much quicker to retain information compared to linear reading. The only problem with the linear reading has, that it takes time to actually read word by word, or in a sequential manner.

2) The Complex thing :

Let me give you and example, before I talk about it.

Why is that when you see a cute animal we pet them. And see a man with an angry face and a knife in this hand, a threat.

Because of our natural programming. What is the natural programming, its the subconscious mind or as we like to call it other than conscious mind. They have been feed this information over and over, that it has become quite natural for us, to assume that cuteness is safe, angry face probably a threat.

Similarly a person who does squat for the first time, doesn't do it properly, hence he has to repeat unless perfected, and then go on carrying weights, without any injuries. After a while this person write down the number for reps and sets. Which would help him track his progress. As days goes by, he no-longer maintains a progress log, he no longer records reps and sets. He just knows, its burning, he has hit the spot and its fine, I can do it.

What I am trying to say, that our analytical ability in the given field increases over time. All these theory that we read, is to support our thinking in that field. Once you understand this concept, we no longer need to book. We no longer need to remember those minute details, as we already know them.

I could give you a similar example, a cricket batsman or a Baseball batsman. How do they know that this ball is in perfect swing, and will cross the boundary line or the fence for a home-run. They perfected their game so much that, its just an call from the intuition.

If you were to do a linear reading, yes you would develop those core-concepts and these abilities. But photo-reading just saves your time. Period.

I will try to find this article and paste a link. As that person did a heck of a job in explaining it.

The reason why we say, that Photoreading is different than what we were taught in the school, is because we would never grasp these concepts in theory. But we were learning, just that we couldn't explain it.

Honestly there is a lot more to Photoreading what meets the eye.

Last edited by cooldubai; 02/03/15 09:53 AM.
Stweet #83790 02/03/15 06:55 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Often linear reading is compared on the forum with photoreading and is often underrated and poked fun at. Many claims are made that are completely baseless. This convinces a novice that what they have been doing all their life was ineffective. They take up photoreading with varied expectations. Ones with huge expectations and preconceived ideas find this system doesnt deliver in some areas. They think they are doing something incorrect. They seek help, but still many are left confused and irritated.
There actually is nothing wrong with these people. And there definitely is nothing inappropriate with their reading 'purpose'. They just need to realise to adjust their expectations and areas of application of the system. This doesnt quite happen the way it should be, and they end up concluding photoreading is useless.

There are people who have given up regular reading for photoreading. What reading goals do these people have ?
how much do they really extract in those 2 -3hours of total activation?
1. There are people who are done when they get merely the structure of the book.
2. There are people who are done with a book, once they are able to fairly guess what the book is about.
3. There also are people who feel success with reading when they just find that painted stork they wanted to look for.
These all are successful. They got their purpose done. And they did it in 30 minutes!
Impressive? Yeah, may be.

Seriously, why would one need to form a purpose- preview- trigger words- photoread- postview- superread and mind map to find something in the book!!? preview it once, look at the index, and skim through a section, and you are done in less than 10 minutes! No regular reader unless one is out of his mind, starts from page one to the end of the book to find information on a painted stork. The index is enough to give the directions necessary, if not, a short preview is enough. And mindmaps, one can make them with linear reading as well.

When one reads a 200 pages book spending 9 hours, he doesnt merely look for a painted stork in it or pushes his eyes stupidly across the pages. To look up for something, 10 minutes are more than enough regardless what type of reading system you employ.
If the preconcious processor comprehends the text bypassing the filters of conscious mind, then you would understand it on the go when you just regular read the text after photoreading it! but it doesnt happen that way. You need to ask questions you want answered and seek answers with the help of the book. This surely is the best suitable for books that have a few main ideas. Those who classify only a 4% information in a book useful, what you do people read for at first place!? why spend money for that 96% text you dont need? Also does it mean a photoread friendly book if ever published will comprise of only 5 pages!?

Had it been just for curiosity and purpose, we would hardly have seen any struggler. But it is not so. There are many who have struggled, tried, improved but finally given up. Because its not just the purpose that is holding these people back. It is in their expectations from the system.

Stweet

Stweet #83791 02/04/15 06:58 AM

I dont agree on this view .4 to 11 percent makes perfect sense.Finding 4 to 11 percent of the text that really carries meaning of the text,the para and the book makes real sense.Its about extracting the essence of what is being said.
For example in the book one up wall street---in a chapter called "Is it gambling or what? there is a sub heading called "The Stocks Rebut" its 1 1/2 page long and the author wants to communicate that stocks have outperformed corporate bonds,govt bonds and treasury bills ---period.
Now isn't this 1 sentence a good pivot point of the entire text.If i say that in my conversation with another investor isn't it good communication.
Whats wrong with that.Its 4 to 11 % of the page?
Why does one have to read the entire page if that's what is the only thing the entire page about?
What Paul wants us to understand is relevance and irrelevance of the content of the text .i have a purpose to "Find metrics to pick stocks so as to successfully invest in the stock market" how relevant is this sentence for me.I am already convinced that i must invest in stocks so why do i need futher convincing.So why waste time on so much of text.Out of 288 pags of the text i have found that 40 pages are worth my purpose.By photoreading and with a purpose and super reading i am able to condense my time to find relevance and irrelevance of the text?whats wrong with that?i find it useful.Why speed read the entire thing and get away with a vague feeling of having read and understood it.More ,with PRWMS i have even grouped information and its easier to determine to understand relevance and irrelevance to ones purpose --that's where mind maps help .You may not want to add anything to the branch cause you are not motivated to add anything as its not relevant.
Now what we don't fathom is that why we need to photoread?What is proposed by LSC is that by photoreading the entire book is already available to our other than conscious mind.And we need to find triggers to unleash the whole text to our conscious awareness.
Now let me clarify my stand so that i am not a spokesman for LSC ,as i dont own the product,i dont claim to know the science behind " how this works "and "i will not say or claim that this is how it works" thats LSC's job.I am only trying to help people to try cause i have been enjoying learning this way fro the last 2 to 3 years and mind you i have struggled a lot too.I am here to help people shorten the struggle where i did not lay emphasis on ,so by doing that people may get it earlier and quicker than when i got it!!!

I have probed further and many times even i have been skeptical and then i have regular read the entire text and found out the relevance and irrelevance of the text.And what helped me to determine relevance and irrelevance was "Purpose".
Yes a book can get condensed to 4 to 5 pages i dont see whats wrong with that?
Forget photoreading after many days of studies in our school days havent we made summary or revision sheets of our textbooks and been able to score?We have been able to do that.

And as far as i know no one in the forum has made fun on regular reading.Speed reading yes!!! but not regular reading!!!

Poems for example what use is Photoreading here?

But photoreaders may want to photoread the entire book on poems and then regular read the poems fro getting more connected.

The mystery behind reading is how and when do we really "Get it"when do we learn ?what time do we understand?Learning is physical ,you get the stuff and you know how to use it ,you get the story and you can explain it

The closing affirmation of photoreading
I acknowledge the information i have received from this text
I release the information for my body and my mind to process
I am curious to know how my mind and body will make this information available to me

Isn't that fascinating.
Isn't the affirmation powerful
if you realise how it is designed i think it is!!!!
That's exactly how learning happens.You embody the information if not you have to revise it again once you own it once its working knowledge rarely you need to go back to your texts.Thats my experience.Many times its the state we are in we forget ,suppose i am running a fever i tend to forget simple things but when i am on a roll i tend to remember i dont need the text.i have understood it totally and its mine to use!!!I never had this before PRWMS,earlier i had to revise it ,and many times after a gap of say 2 or 3 years i had better understanding of some texts with PRWMS i feel i have already at the best point at which the author has designed the text.

You cant discard PRWMS cause it asks you to get specific neither is regular reading discarded.

Getting a purpose is the game .Sometimes i sharpen my purpose after 3 to 4 super reads of the book.I am able to decide what i really want.From general to specifics .Whats wrong with that?

And if i am specific any tool will help me get there.Super read and skitter are just tools.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved