Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Stweet #83792 02/04/15 09:16 AM

Tony Buzan in his speed reading book has related a story that in a seminar he asked the participants to read their book in less than 15 mins.A lady got her favorite novel and speed read the book but complained that she did not get anything out of the exercise.

A day later when she was asked to regular read the book,halfway through or less than halfway ,she suddenly found the entire story unfold.

Now my question is why cant such results be duplicated to all reading.

Is this not analogous to the steps in PWMS. First photoread and then super read.

What if Paul Scheele has found a method to duplicate such results more often ?

Check Tony Buzans book.I read that way back in 2004!!! i suddenly remembered it today.

Stweet #83793 02/04/15 09:29 AM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Thats what my point is brother! YOU have the purpose to find that 4% text in the book at this particular moment of time. Does it mean it actually has only 4% texts important? YOU have decided to find what YOU feel important. That's why YOU feel only 4% is relevant.

Tomorrow I ask you to find what adjectives have been used in the books and how many times, that another 4% you will discover.
Next day, I ask you to seek what you dont agree with, thats another 4%
The Next day I ask you how to evaluate performance of a stock?- another 4%
What are the limitations of treasury bills? another 4%

You see.. Each time you have a different purpose, dont you? you seek different info each time, dont you?
So it increases the time you spend with the book, which comes down to the time you need when you regular read. But you dont admit it because you have been underrating your own regular reading.

Nice to know you have been using the system and feeling happy about it. You have been one of the most helpful members on the forum. Whats your idea of linear reading?

Quote:
What Paul wants us to understand is relevance and irrelevance of the content of the text

No, Dr. Scheele has said what he had to say. What we discuss here is our inference from his words and statements. Its our opinion and our findings.

What books do you read Adarsh? Most of the books on financial literacy you have mentioned here are actually have little content in them. Why? these arent textbooks. they are written for the layman. The targeted readers are those who usually are not enrolled for a course in finance. No wonder why you find only 4% text useful; you being already familiar with finance as one of your very own subjects. And you dont even need photoreading to find it out. Preview and some skittering enough.

Not all have same reading needs all the times. This is where the 4% and 11% terms have taken birth from. You also dont recollect everything after 20th activation pass, do you? Same happens with regular reading. So there is no reason to compare or tag it as inefficient. Speed reading is no different. Technically, its the same regular reading.

Quote:
Forget photoreading after many days of studies in our school days havent we made summary or revision sheets of our textbooks and been able to score?We have been able to do that.

Summary! now you have spoken up! Do you think summary and reading a book are the same? Summary is just a gist of what ONE has picked up or what ONE finds the most important.

I would recommend you read/photoread books on marketing research, textbooks on biochemistry, yearbooks, books on biodiversity, geography, administration, travel and any other technical book with detail rich text. I understand it wont be easy to take out time to go through these, but do give it a try sometime. Compare and post your experience in terms on comprehension, time you spent and your performance on a few open ended questions.

Stweet

Stweet #83794 02/04/15 12:03 PM

I have activated so many text books in finance too.
i am right now working on Ross and westerfield and i am using the same concepts of 4 to 11 % .I have read 2 books of College finance by Nagarathnam and one more reffered to orrissa university.4 to 11 % works fine(i dont remember the author right now ).
4 to 11 % doesnt change the way you have mentioned it changes only with the purpose.Thats why i said i will work when i want to with the book when i want to again ,it is only faster the next time.Cause i know where the information lies.And if you have changed the purpose ,then you have a different goal.
Yes Summary is the essence of what we have read ,what do you remember after reading the entire book or workable summary.Other than high school exams i dont know of any place where in they test us for our memory by Rote.No one in the world wants us to know information verbatim.Its what the information all about that is important.
We are always tested for knowledge.Even competitive exams.
I have read and activated 21 text books and an additional 5 for getting my MBA certificates so whats great about that.I understood that in a chapter this is what i want and i prepared to get that .
I am also activating Resnick and Halliday and revising my knowledge in Thermodynamics.It contains lot of maths so its a different ball game.I have mentioned in the earlier post i am working my skills on maths using Khan Academy.
I have admitted that i could not understand Black Swan in its entirety cause i dont have background knowledge in probability and statistics.

I have told you before i did not use PRWMS for CAT.So reading comprehension and other exams require a different skill set.They test you on different scale.They test you on inferential knowledge,interpretation and much more.These paragraphs run for a page or 2 so for these exams why wold one photoread and super read and dip .You can work onthem and see for your self.You can use them and build an immediate idea on what is said go back to the questions and reread the text and answer the questions.

Thats why i said reading in adult life is a different ball game.You do it with a purpose.

At school so much is thrown at you how much do you use them in real life?

You yourself have listed a wide range of books from biochemistry to geography to administration to travel

why would i need them sister?

I may use the travelogues to get an idea about a place but the web is richer with images and other contents why waste money on the "Lonely Planet"

Today we have enough support from different mediums taht we need to be careful as to how to learn and for the rest for me i prefer PRWMS.

In fact for the subject i mentioned above on Thermodynamics there is a you tube lecture from professor from IIT .So i get access to his rich teaching by viewing rather than reading.

Why will i waste time on readign .i can use the book to photoread and view stuff on you tube to activate ---Richer experience!!!!!

I have infront of me Hindhus yearly survey of Indian industry.
So i am going to photo read and group information the way i want it.
I am in refining ,i am increasing my knowledge in petrochemicals Reading a textbook on Bhaskar Rao

What else?

Speed was never my concern?Purpose is!!

And i dont want to know it all and know it all fro what ,start one more wikipedia???

Stweet #83795 02/04/15 12:19 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:
I would recommend you read/photoread books on marketing research, textbooks on biochemistry, yearbooks, books on biodiversity, geography, administration, travel and any other technical book with detail rich text. I understand it wont be easy to take out time to go through these, but do give it a try sometime

Those are interesting books indeed. And before learning PhotoReading I couldn't get those subjects. So I never bothered reading the. Just took too long never made sense. Now I enjoy learning from them.

If you're getting what you need from one quick read then go for it. You don't need PhotoReading. I do prefer to PhotoRead because I get more out of the book and do spend less time with a book. Why would I want to spend 9 hours with a book having forgotten the information in the first chapter and being unable to tie it in with the later chapter?

And if you ever read my experiment, you would notice I went through the whole book chapter by chapter. I turned the headlines into questions and same with the subheads and learned what each section is about.

Forgotten it? No the stuff in the book that stood out for me then still stand out in my memory now.

Remember,

Reading is personal. You get from a book what relates to you. Your education, understanding and self image act as barriers to your performance.

Some books take more time than others.

Try the 5 day test on a number of 200 books. Be kind to yourself and pick some books that are of interest.

Why? So that you can see how you work the PhotoReading system and then you'll be able to set your directions on more technical books.

In 2013 I went through 485 books. In terms of traditional reading, they were detailed PhotoReading. Nothing less in terms of reading it all if you like only in 1/5th the time I would have traditionally read before learning PhotoReading. I PhotoRead and summarised an additional 400 books.

The point is not all books require such an in depth reading. And if they do you do more activation layers. If you're studying them then you'd probably PhotoRead them more often as well. If the book is challenging, or subject is challenging you do more activation layers. You may even need to treat each chapter as a book in itself.

Stweet are you learning PhotoReading with the physical course or the digital version?

Alex

Stweet #83796 02/05/15 10:03 AM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

I am learning photoreading with the book.

Quote:
Why would I want to spend 9 hours with a book having forgotten the information in the first chapter and being unable to tie it in with the later chapter?

I dont know what is your idea of regular reading.

Stweet

Stweet #83797 02/06/15 08:46 AM

How good is your memory. Most people spend 6 to 12 hours with a 200 page book, reading word for word. By the time they finished the first chapter some hours have passed.

If you're learning with the book alone. Apply the 5 day test to 10 books of 200 pages before trying it on schoolwork or study material.

Alex

Stweet #83834 02/18/15 01:40 PM
Stweet Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Alex,

Having failed miserably with many books, and having been struggling for very very long, I am starting with elementary school level books.

Is one activation session supposed to cover the entire book regardless you understood the text you dipping or leave what you dont understand for another activation pass or keep dipping again and again till you fully comprehend that text?
Because moving ahead without fully comprehending previous sections doesnt make any sense.

Stweet

Stweet #83835 02/19/15 03:58 AM

when others try to help u ,you will work to prove them wrong,instead believe and do what you believe will come true and try again!!!

Stweet #83836 02/19/15 08:46 AM

Quote:
Is one activation session supposed to cover the entire book regardless you understood the text you dipping or leave what you dont understand for another activation pass or keep dipping again and again till you fully comprehend that text?
Because moving ahead without fully comprehending previous sections doesnt make any sense.

For a beginner, maybe not.

The question is how long would it take with your normal reading techniques to finished the book and depends on what you use to measure, measure fully understood the text?

I would never claim to fully understand any text. There are parts that make no sense to me by some authors. And I still get the message that they are trying to impart because I read for meaning and have a purpose when I read. If I expect to learn something from the book I will.

Alex

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved