Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#83804 02/07/15 02:32 PM
OP Offline

Dear friends,

How are all? All fine and Good?

Coming to the main point. I have read many posts, and questions filled with curiosity. This curiosity if often answered on this forum. Some are really helpful, other put us in more confused state. Finally which leads to frustration.

The home course was made with the intent that a person would learn on his/her own. Many here seem to be those ones who have been learning from a home-course. And just some bunch who have actually spent time with an experienced photoreader. The only way people with home-course materials can resolve their problems, is by contacting this forum.

So this is what am I going to suggest. Why don’t we all communicate and help each other out. I know we do this, but to make an active engagement. We have new learners, experienced photoreaders, novices, and etc. Why don’t we have some sort of activity which engages us all in the pursuit of mastering the skill of photoreading.

I have a theory of learning, and its just of three words ‘Qui docet, discit’ (Who teaches, learns). We all might have mastered some skills which has lead us to believe that we can photoread. Probably I haven’t developed some other skills, and somebody else has it. What if we teach other these skills. Won’t we all benefit. Probably this help reaching the Learning curve quickly.

Did I say I just had one theory of learning? Wait I have one more, and that is ‘Learning by Observation’. When we come closer with one aim in our mind. We work as a whole. In order to work as one whole, we will observe others. Now how will one be able to learn, when they aren’t able to observe. Even to teach one has to observe themselves. I am aiming for such an activity in which the participants would observe and learn. Maybe from each other, or from experienced photoreader.

And my last theory. Promise. ‘Learning from mistakes’. If our observation grows, we would be able to point out our own mistakes. And learn from it. There is nothing better than self-observation. But what do we observe most, is for our mistakes in practicing the methods.

TL:DR;
So we exchange our ideas, observe others' methods, compare their methods to ours. Look where we lack the most, and improve ourselves.

So how many of us are willing to participate to something like this?

This is a tentative thing, this is something that came to me, I have been pondering over it from some while now. Anyways if anybody is interested, please write down below. If you have some suggestion please share. We can tweak the activity that fits to all. Or go with this idea.

Thank You for reading.

Sounds good! I am interested.

Stweet

Nice one.
i'm game after 2 months as i am busy in shifting my base,my house that is.
So might not have time to do lots of focused activation in the coming months except on text books for my requirements.
You may want to consider this:
Now my suggestions for people is simple. We must be clear with "What one must expect from Photo-reading" we must understand that we are always at the starting point with all books.This dawned to me after a long time.Once we acknowledge that we are kind of comfortable with activiations.Cause in general we are conditioned to start and finish a book.
The real measure of being good at photo-reading as per me is increase of confidence that you will get to understand by deciding what we want and the book will come to us quickly by doing the activation's.
That’s the kind of confidence or the evidence procedure we need in the back of our mind when we start any book. This is what we must measure consistently with more activation's. Cause the procedures and the tools don’t change with any book.
I cant prove this but this cognition has helped me a lot. Our brain is always looking at completeness ,something that tells us that its full circle,that its over.But the photoreading procedures are just the opposite its always fresh and always open ,the last set of activiations are not the same for the next book so we are always with a feeling that we are not sure or have we got it!!!we measure a lot of success by completeness, where as we need to measure with what we decide to get so that framework itself works against us and we keep getting frustrated that PRWMS is clumsy!!!
So you are always a fresher with every book you try ,there is nothing else you can carry with except getting good at activation with the book in front of u that u have decided to know and learn at the level u want .
In general these are the few directions for nonfiction which can help us, its so basic that you may laugh at it but acknowledging it really helps!!!
1. This book is not for me doesn't give me much more than i know
2. There is more base knowledge i must first work on if i have to use the information in its entirety.Or if i am not getting the answers or i am not understanding the text then there is something more i must first understand and then find books around those.
3. I have everything and then i can use this as my reference from now on
hope this helps!!!!

Hi all. I read this post a few days ago & I found it to be very interesting. I would very much like to join in as well if it's OK because I've had some interesting results from a PR point of view. How will we approach this?

GUILLAUME.

OP Offline

So far we have 4 participants.

@ Stweet : Thank you for Participating.
@ Adarsh : Yes, Sir. Thank you for your input.
@ Guillaume : Thank you for Participating.

Following are some points, and my suggestion to them :

1. What is the Activity?
We know that photoreading is the activity. But how do we bring in the comparability clause. What activity do we choose to do so.

My suggestion is that, we do something like a 5 day test. Just so that its a week long. And at the last day we share our experience.

2. What would be compared?
As I have written earlier we would like to compare our methods, and what leads to our results. Often our methods are which are quite unique, rather than the result. Somebody has a powerful system to generate a purpose, or somebody gets quite well in the state, or somebody knows how to photoread specific subjects and so on.

So my suggestion here is, that we compare how we approach a purpose. How we formulate a question around it. Then how we dig into the book.

3. What books do we photoread?
This is a problem. How do we choose which books we must photoread. Or what subjects should we photoread. As its a subjective matter, can we ever find a topic that fits all.

My suggestion, that we bring forward our personal taste in reading. Which field we study in, or we have mastered. Or we have interest in, and we are willing to spend time. We don't have to be stuck with a single book, we have the flexibility to choose a field or a topic.

4. Continuous guidance and tracking.
Now we have the forum for this, then why do we have such an activity. We can still ask the same questions when we photoread on own. There are people who are still willing to help regardless of group or personal activity.

My Suggestion, that we work in pairs. A person who is experienced than the other in photoreading. Both will suggest each other unique topics for photoreading. Which both are interested in. They would communicate on a regular basis, and on the last day, would compare each others' methods. Now what they will communicate each other will be how they activated today, or came to question and answer. Where the two can observe each other and correct each other to what works and doesn't work.

Again this can be changed, this is my suggestion. I would recommend anybody who is willing to start, PM me, as they read this. I am good to go. At least if there are any more issues, or some thing which I have over-viewed I will be able to write them down here.

There is one more theory to learn, I know I am on a very thin rope, every time I write I bring in new theories, well its the last one, 'Learning by doing', It is to learn by setting things into motion. So why don't we start doing the activity, then learn how sound it is or not.

Once again thank you for participating and reading.

Learning Strategies Admin

How about books like, How to read a book? Since I believe one thing most want from PhotoReading is comprehension. What about sourcing books and recommending them based on your 5 day test activation. Sharing what you learned. Each do a different book and share. That way you have a PhotoReading purpose for the book which helps get a handle on your purpose.

Read a book and explain what you learned from it so that the others can learn something as well without reading it.

Usually I have my students spend no more than 35 minutes with a book and then spend 2 minutes talking about it (4 minutes tops, I put a stop on it but usually they can keep going. Yes that 30 second prepare, 30 second preview and 14 minutes to PhotoReading and Postview and 20 minute activation. My students usually teach me something from the book they brought. And they could successfully make a toastmasters talk on the subject.

Why not try something similar. Post the title of the book day one and come back the next day and write about 250 words telling us what you think we should know, that you learned from the book.

Alex

will do!!!

Hi everyone. Just a quickie to ask...when we start this activity are we all doing the same book or different ones?

Guillaume.

OP Offline

Hi Guillaume,

This has been a big question, whether go with 'One book that fits all' or 'multiple books, in a similar field'.

Let me elaborate it a bit. Say we all want to learn how to be better at writing. There are two options, we can all read the same book. Or different books of the same nature.

But then there are some who would want to improve presentation skills or want to learn global finance. And now we can't wrap a single book around them to photoread it.

My major concern in that of observing my techniques with the other, but in what I consider to be master at or atleast have some familiarity.
WHY? Say you know a route to your home so well from the nearest metro station/train station/bus stop... that you could help me reaching your place. Just by letting you know a store name, which is to my left, you exactly know my orientation and my spot. You know by my walking pace, how much time will I take to reach your place. You even know that probably I am lost. You can also deduce that my path is right or not.

So if we photoread such books, over which we have certain command, we would know who is making what mistakes. Where the sub-conscious mind is activating the book or not. Whether I am activating in the correct direction, with the right attitude. You also need not spoon feed information, rather just relate to the feeling. The excitement of knowing 'That I have the force'.

If we can achieve this, with a single book, I honestly have no problem.

Incase you are interested to go on a trial run, before we perfect the activity, PM me. Last time I checked, I couldn't bite people from my computer screen. Not that I bite people, its just that people just assume that about me because I have fangs, and emerge in night, and hate the day light, and have a sweet tooth for drinks with RBCs in them, have a girl friend name Bella, who usually rides on my back and WAIT! is that too much information. It seems like I just activated Twilight! :just kidding:

I recommend different books. Teach each other what you learn from the book you're working with. Why double up the work. It's also easier to source books locally rather than having to purchase the same books.

Teach each other, show what you learned from the book that others can take away from the book based on what you learned.

That way too you can see similarity and differences between authors.

In all I say grab a book today. Spend 35 minutes with it (10 minutes the first 4 steps and 20 minutes one activation layer)

Then post what you got from that 30 minutes.

Then you can discuss whether you want to do more activation how much time you're planning to spend with the book.

Since you wanted to help each other with the system I think everyone would benefit from a report after each activation layer.

And different books. There is a reason I recommend different books and I would like to see this project underway before I discuss it.

Alex

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved