Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I picked up a book titled Less is More. I have copied the trigger words and questions. Please let me know if I am on the right track. I noticed that some keywords encompass whole chapters (such as simplicity and religion and simplicity and politics). How would super-reading and dipping work when my question pertain to the whole chapter?

-----------------

Less is more

My purpose is to find out how I can apply more simplicity can lead to a better world

How do policies pertain to simplicity?

What is voluntary simplicity?

What is uncluttered simplicity?

How does frugal pertain to simplicity?

What is graceful simplicity?

How does simplicity pertain to ecology?

How does simplicity pertain to religion?

How does simplicity relate to anxiety?

How does simplicity relate to encouragement?

What is lacom?

How does simplicity pertain to our communities?

How does simplicity relate to the economy?

What is radical simplicity?

How does simplicity pertain to science?

How does simplicity relate to farming?

How does simplicity relate to politics?

How does simplicity pertain to having more?

TRIGGER WORDS

-policies
-simplicity
-responsibility
-voluntary
-uncluttered
-frugal
-graceful
-ecology
-religion
-anxiety
-encouragement
-lacom
-community
-resources
-economy
-sustain
-sustainability
-radical
-connect
-wired
-scientific
-farming
-more
-political

You have enough questions.activate the the entire book once.dip where ever you feel like.make a mind map ---against main ideas which you think the author has centered around.Then read through the mind probes again and do one more activation with super reading and dipping.add to your mind maps again.Go through your questions again and see if you are gaining more out of the text.Do one more activation.most of the time for such books you will be clear with 2 or 3 activations.Your purpose is also a question which will not motivate you.Instead if i may offer you a suggestion "to determine the simple method to improve society,to improve conomy,to improve farming..."you will realsie what you want to look for att he same time you will be clear about some areas you may not wantto know in greater details.Say for example farming.you may need general idea here but in your present profile and work you may never ever effect farming.So you will realise that somethings are redundant.So that refining of purpose is what has to come about with each activation.Your activation will also help you why you want to read or not read.Experts who have done this for many years with many books get it instantly.Thats why picking up books which help you at the present stage of life will be more purposeful ,your reading becomes more goal oriented and activation faster.
Hope this helps.

Learning Strategies Admin

Spend a lot less time postviewing. I feel you spent longer than necessary at that with the number of questions.

I recommend no more than 3 questions. As soon as you hit 3 you've done enough to to build the curiosity.

If during your postviewing you found a chapter that seems to you to be the core of the book. Activate that chapter yes, rapid read, remember rapid reading includes any and all the activation, reading styles. Rapid reading just means starting at the beginning and ending at the end (in this case, of the chapter)

Alex

OP Offline

Actually the trigger words and questions were formulated in the preview stage. I found that I had a lot more curiosity for the book than writing down just 3 questions, that's why all those questions came to me.

OP Offline

Also, is rapid reading done at our normal reading rate of would it be faster given that we are somewhat familiar with the test?

Thanks for all your help guys.

In addition to dorian's question, I want to ask if rapid reading gives same level of superb comprehension like superreading and diping.
Thanks!

OP Offline

I am wondering that also.

OP Offline

Also, not sure why we need 20-25 keywords per book if we are only going to come up with 3 questions. I can come up with questions just by looking at the table of contents.

Whoa Preview? I suggest you get the more recent course and book.

Preview no longer than 1 minute.

Trigger words are intended to help build your curiosity. If you don't need them don't write that many.

Dorian, finish the course or read the book about rapid reading. I've already explained... It uses all activation techniques. It's explained also in the book. And in the course, and in the course playbook.

Cosmo,
It's the final activation technique. You control the pace.

Alex

OP Offline

The book says preview should take roughly 5min so not sure why u mention 1min. I finished the course but I was still unsure about rapid reading. I will go back to that section in the course.

Rapid reading is an optional activation step after super reading and dipping right?

Which version of the book are you using? Previewing should take no longer than 1 minute. Any longer we found is a waste of time.

The five steps of the system are
1. Prepare
2. preview
3. PhotoRead
4. Postview
5. Activate

Alex

Alex, on activation questions, having large books that covers a whole discipline, averaged over 800 pages. If I ask the specific question. What are the principles of criminal law? and the book answers me with something not in common,
1- how to react to this answer, 2- and the answer to my real question?

Hi

Alex is no longer the moderator of the Photoreading Forum.

Patrick is the current moderator of the Photoreading Forum.

In regards to your question what are the principles of criminal law I would start with the question how many examples of principles of criminal law does the book give or show and I would go from there.

Photoread4me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved