Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
mkallin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all,

First time in the forum here! Have read a bit about photoreading and got curious. When I found this page the presence of pseudoscientific nonsense such as Feng Shui almost had me leave immediately but decided to focus on this forum (I will not discuss anything else in this thread!).

I still don't know if I should believe if photoreading works, it seems that all reviews that say it does are accompanied by "Buy the course from me at a special discount price!". Also, I have a hard time understanding how the subconscious would make something out of pictures that are out of focus.

So right about now you are probably wondering why I'm even wasting everyone's time writing this? Well, because I sort of have made it work in the past.

When I was studying I found that I often easily could remember what the page containing the information I was looking for looked like and where on the page I could find the info. Sadly, I never could make out the information.

So where am I going with this, well basically I guess I just want to talk to people that actually have made it work and are not trying to sell anything...

Hahahaahaa!! I had the same experience. Was looking for some tools to assist me get through my boring huge pile of textbooks. Some speed reading and accelerated learning books got me to photoreading. I was convinced with the idea of faster and effortless learning, but again i had a look on the LS website, and the Presense of 'feng shui, numerology, aura seeing had me bitterly disappointed and confused. Photoreading also has a very bad reputation on amazon, yahoo and many other websites that are not into selling you the course. I also am not smart enough to understand why this isnt taught in schools and at learning centres.

I still convinced my mom to buy me this because this seemed to be a hypnosis alike thing to me. I have seen the power of hypnosis and believe we absorb the information faster and effectively through auditory channels or through vision once we are in hypno states.

I have been using the course now for a few months. There are mixed results though.. first, I found the system not working from day one once you learn it, as it is promised. I think it takes huge practice to get it to work. You need to be hopeful and consistent at something to get the results.

You can start with the book. You will get all the idea about photoreading and how it works from the book alone. It shouldnt be tough for you as you had some experiences on the same line.

Learning Strategies Admin

Search the forum ... AlexK 2002. That's when I learned PhotoReading.

Reason I did the course. I already knew you cannot read 25,000 words a minute. And yet this is a system that allows a beginner to get their reading done 3 times faster. For me that was the idea that sold me. I could easily read a book in a day. This system promised I could get through 3 books in a day.

I got the course and first read the book as instructed on the very first page. And finished the book and realised the author was showing me that by reading selected parts of the books I could learn all I need from a book. Cool I thought, so this course will teach me how to put the little Einstein's in other books so that I can get information I seek from any book or text.

In 2004 I became a PhotoReading instructor.

As for whether the subconscious can do this? Well most of the course is focus on breaking down the negative self talk that creates barriers that prevent you from tapping the resources of your greater consciousness which the normal consciousness ignores.

It isn't like learning to chop concrete blocks with the bare hands. It's the next step in reading that everyone who can read would normally be able to do if there isn't a limiting self image. That same self image that says I can to algebra or I cannot do algebra. Actually PhotoReading is easier if you know you can already read, then it's only your limiting expectations that say it doesn't work.

If you're wanting it to work it probably won't. Because in wanting you're holding fear that you cannot do it.

Forget fear and just do it and see what happens. Then the mind starts showing you what you can do if you're open.

Alex

Placing the einsteins to important paragraphs is how photoreading works? There are many reading goals, example, reading to analyse, reading to remember, read to absorb most of the content and not just a few things.. and thus for textbooks this wouldnt be of any use!
The same is true with mind maps. It is used as a note taking tool and it need not assist in long term memory.

I have been using the system for a few months now but have not been able to get much of out the system. I dont understand why I get the same results with or without the photoreading step. On every book these days, I apply photoreading, I comprehend nothing out of those 30 minutes multiple passes and then I resort to regular read. And to compare, the comprehension from regular reading is unmatched!
I have also been playing with the dictionary game, and now I wonder if anyone has had it working for them.

It is adviced to keep applying activation layers untill it gels, well, with the initial two passes and no comprehension, the level of frustration is so high, one can hardly feel like moving ahead.. I know how much courage and patience it takes to move ahead.

So how does photoreading help me? By keeping my hopes to get it SOMEDAY and I consume my textbooks with ease n surpass my classmates!

Quote:

Placing the einsteins to important paragraphs is how photoreading works? There are many reading goals, example, reading to analyse, reading to remember, read to absorb most of the content and not just a few things.. and thus for textbooks this wouldnt be of any use!
The same is true with mind maps. It is used as a note taking tool and it need not assist in long term memory.

That's what I grabbed from it when I first learned PhotoReading. One places the Einstein's according to purpose. It still works. You read the sections that pertain to your goal. You don't really to read everything.

Reading everything is not really making optimal use of your conscious mind and time. When the greater consciousness is able to process a whole book in minutes. Trusting the greater consciousness and training the conscious mind to wake up to the information from the reader consciousness is like placing the Einstein's at the passages you need to consciously be aware of.

What are you doing during those multiple passes? Tell us some of the questions you've asked during a pass of a book.

Quote:
well, with the initial two passes and no comprehension, the level of frustration is so high, one can hardly feel like moving ahead.. I know how much courage and patience it takes to move ahead.

You've never read my experiment have you? It's been posted on the forum a few times since 2002.

I understand the power of giving up and I keep suggesting that in the beginning you do a minimum of 6 (I prefer beginners do 8) 20 minute activation layers, with a timer.

Most do not use or honour the timer.

And most give up within the first 2 activation layers.

And recently I discovered the importance of 8... It becomes a piece of pi.

If you're not learning the system on a book not relating to school work or formal educational studies. Then you're taking the long road to learning the system.

Start with a book of 200 maximum 250 pages on a subject you are interested in. Non fiction. PhotoRead it with a purpose. Postview to build your curiosity and form questions then proceed to activate with questions and activate a minimum of 6, 20 minute activation layers (I really prefer you do 8).

If the book doesn't come together in the first 2 layers, so what? I don't expect it to for a beginner learning on their own. You'll be finished when it gels.

Don't worry the giving up habit affects normal reading as well. Research I encountered in 1996 found that nearly all books bought are only read to the 3rd chapter before they are shelved. A Researcher went as far as putting $5 in the back of a number of books along with a note to contact him when they found it. The books were borrowed a number of times from the library. He was able to retrieve his money at the end. I understood he left the money in the books over a year. And checked that the money was still there.

There has been additional research and it's been demonstrated again that most books are shelved before they have been read beyond the 3rd chapter or 90 to 120 minutes of reading. Approximately 45 pages into the book. 2.5 minutes is the average reading time per page.

In other words, if you do two activation layers and quit you're giving up before the average reader gives up the book.

In my experiment it wasn't really until the 3rd activation layer I started seeing the information building.

And it gets better. With experience you build the body mind connection and you can finish books in one 20 minute activation layer.

What makes it hard is the program that was trained into us by school. No one actually taught us to read. They taught us how to memorise words. Not how to read for meaning.

Reading for meaning... How to.

Establish a purpose, What you want to know and why you want to know it.
Keep it in mind while activating
Take regular breaks. The longer your activation layer the greater the likelihood that you've gone off the garden path away from your purpose. And are reading to be entertained.

Alex

I happened to be passing by looking for a particular post and noted this thread. Although some may remember me and my own story with PhotoReading, I think perhaps another's experience might help:

https://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82259#Post82259

One year after this particular post, I received a message from this young man which included the following brief comment regarding his first year at university:

"I pretty much topped my year, achieving distinctions, which I am most pleased about."

All that was done with PhotoReading. There was nothing particularly special about the way the technique was applied. PhotoReaders themselves can lose their way when they give up purpose, questions and activation layers. I repeat Alex's advice regarding multiple layers.

There would many reasons one shouldnt give up on a better learning system.
1. I happened to measure the time it takes to read a book word for word, and my observations are horrible. It takes way too much time to push eyes across the page than to comprehend what the information is about.
2. In regular reading, you read in the manner the author wants you to read. You may not always find this a better fashion.
3. Most of the times you spend a lot of time reading something only to find you wasted all of the time and gained particularly nothing.

Point 3 I discovered applies to many books.

The problem with traditional reading is it takes x hours to read from beginning to end, longer when you don't know what you're looking for.

The PhotoReading step allows me to dump books from which I cannot gain anything.

Alex

Alex, I have read your experiment with a German book. There indeed is a big mismatch of time spent and satisfaction compared to regular reading, but you also were not a beginner for sure. You had successfully activated books and knew this will going to work.

One, who has not had any success with activation; first looks for what unusual it does than regular reading. Results from regular reading thus acts as a base. He thus compares his comprehension and memory he gets from regular reading to activation. In addition to this, he also first looks for a piece of evidence that what they are doing is correct.

The question answer nature of activation has been a problem for me. I do get answers to my question but then I have to read them all many times to understand them well and also have to use various other techniques to remember them. This leads me to think I am not doing it correct but also dont know where is my mistake.

Thanks.

The experiment I did was to throw me back into the beginner mindset. I had never successfully completed a non-fiction book in German. So in fact I went even further back. Because my comprehension was lacking even with traditional reading.

And yes I felt all the apprehensions associated with, does this work? Did PhotoReading work for me only because I am a good reader of English text?

What I knew for sure is I'm going to have to do more to see PhotoReading work in the German text than I do with English text. And I recorded it along with my apprehensions.

You're assuring me that the mindset, that this does work and will work is what made it work for me in the German text.

What about your mindset. How long are you going to stay in it that it doesn't work for you?

My experiment demonstrated the steps and work I had to do to get the book to gel. As a raw beginner in text of that language.

You're looking for what you're doing wrong. Look to what is working and build on that.

If you keep looking for that which is wrong you will find things that you think you're doing wrong, even make what you're doing right a wrong.

Alex

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved