Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85460 10/08/16 05:02 AM
OP Offline

I've tried photoreading about three books now and it doesn't seem to be working. The postreading and activation steps seem to have some results, but that's all conscious processes that result from the asking of questions and seeking answers to them. I haven't been retaining the parts I just flipped through with the main photoreading process. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Learning Strategies Admin

How do you determine that the PhotoReading system isn't working?

Alex

OP Offline

I've photoread three or four books so far, including my course material. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying I'm not seeing results yet. I don't notice any difference in my retention or understanding of the contents.

The one thing I did notice was that the questions in postviewing and activation seemed to help. Writing down a question and then seeking to answer it helps a lot, as it adds clarity, but I don't feel like I retain information from the actual photoreading step. So the only information I've gained is the information I've consciously read and interpreted.

Last edited by rirvinmoore; 10/11/16 01:14 AM.

What are you expecting. What are you looking for measuring?

Have you done a test to see how long it takes you to read 30 pages with the traditional method?

What do you expect retention of information to feel like. How does it feel for all the information you retain otherwise?

Alex

OP Offline

I would like to be able to retain and recall the information I read. If it says in a book, "The correct frequency for a carrier wave is 3.6 Gigawatts" and someone asks me what the frequency of a carrier wave is, I should theoretically be able to tell them that if I've successfully read and comprehended the book. If I photoread a small textbook (maybe 30 pages) and then try to answer the review questions, I should (I think... unless I'm missing something) be able to answer some of them after going through the process.

As it stands, I can go through the whole process-the preview, PhotoReading, postview and activation, and then not remember anything. Normally if I retain something and someone asks me a pertinent question, I can say "Oh, I know that," and then give a correct response. So far, I don't seem to retain anything from photoreading. I can try to PhotoRead a book and then look at the review questions and I can't answer even one of them. I have to go back and read everything the usual way, as though I hadn't read anything to begin with.

Now back to my first question, how long would it take you to get that with traditional reading? Would you read it more than once? Highlight it? What were you doing to remember that before?

If you're not remembering from your activations, you are either not actually activating it because your purpose is missing. And your statement, "I have to go back and read everything the usual way, as though I hadn't read anything to begin with." implies this is exactly the problem. You're not activating with purpose nor applying enough activation layers before you quit. Use as many activation layers as require, until it gels. In the beginning I recommend doing 6 x 20 minute activation layers and then a 30 minute rapid read. To learn the system as well as to learn the activation techniques.

... or you're not mind mapping the important information.

As a beginner, mind map! It trains the body mind connection for the stuff you want to recall when you read.

Alex

Once, just for fun, I did this experiment, My son was complaining that a catalog was challenging him to find a specific picture, and "Its not in here!"

So I took the catalog and photoread it, handed it back to him and said, "page 24." I didn't 'know' it, I didn't 'remember' it I just blurted out the number. And he found it on that page. Coincidence, perhaps. But it sure impressed my son.

Another version of the dictionary game. I like it, Jim.

OP Offline

All right, I'll go with that. I'm going to make a few more passes at the book I'm currently on, as well as the course information. I haven't actually done any mind mapping yet.

Just so I'm clear, do you normally have conscious access to the information that you PhotoRead? Or does it just sort of "surface" when you need it?

rirvinmoore,

Alex is a very supportive coach, but I am yet to get the mystic 'gel' phenomenon she mentions often. I have applied so many many layers, made mindmaps for all the books I came across with; from last 3 yrs, but at the end I had to read all those books word for word to understand them.

I am in the same boat today as I was 3 yrs back.

Sounds strange, but, sadly, whatever you do, you will be told, you either lack a good purpose or you are not applying enough activation layers.

I would suggest, try it for some more days, but if you are still not happy, then rethink. You may end up wasting a lot of your time.

Alternatively, if you want to zip through books without bothering with mind maps and all, you can consider other speed reading techniques.

Paul has mentioned he could read 5000+ wpm after a speed reading course. I happen to read evelyn wood speed reading book last week. the author says, you can actually break the subsonic reading barrier through visual-vertical reading that will enable you to zip through books at about 3000 wpm with great comprehension with a month of practice.
Its worth to have a look.

Cosmo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved