A friend is paralyzed by how many projects he has at home. Nothing ever gets done.

He's always busy, but not on the tasks at the top of his list. He's easily sidetracked with smaller projects he enjoys, hobbies, the internet, and other distractions. When an extended family member needs something, he's always there to help.

He seems happy, but the undone projects are tearing at his soul.

When my project list becomes daunting, either at home or here at work, I go to advice Paul Scheele gave me back in the 1980s.

Discover a deep emotional reason why you want it done, imagine it fully, and the project will get done.

That was a game-changer for me. Let me give you a few examples:

* I wasn’t getting a wall in my home painted. But then I focused on how annoying marks on the wall would be gone, and how I would feel better about it. I imagined how I loved the look of the freshly painted wall and how the color fit beautifully with the surroundings. I spent only a few minutes visualizing it, and immediately I wanted to get it painted.

* There was a major project in my flower gardens I wasn’t looking forward to tackling. I thought of the summer party I’d have with dozens of friends enjoying the colors in the garden. I imagined the smells of the plantings. I imagined the butterflies and hummingbirds, and how much I would enjoy looking at the gardens. It worked! I got the garden project finished in no time.

* Here’s something current: An out-of-town chef will visit next month, and we’ll spend the weekend cooking. My butcher block kitchen island needed three hours of sanding and refinishing to set a beautiful stage for our weekend. I could see how gorgeous it would look. I heard what he would say about the butcher block. I imagined the food we would be cooking. I got the project done, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. (And yes, part of it was I didn’t want to hear him lecture me about properly maintaining the butcher block. Sometimes it is about moving away from pain, other times about moving toward something you really want.)

* I had a half day of assembling and analyzing statistics ahead of me at the office to determine whether we should take on a new initiative. It loomed. I didn’t really want to do it, but then I had a conversation with someone else here about the project, and we talked about the potential and excitement of the initiative. I was immediately jazzed about the project and I eagerly took on the statistics. It wasn’t a drudge. I wasn’t worried about how I would do it. I simply dove into it, and it all flowed.

That's how you move undone projects onto the done list, and how to enjoy every part of it.

In all these cases, I found the joy in the project. Now whenever I have a project, I automatically ask myself, Why do I really want to do it? What could it mean for me? Then I do it, and I don’t think twice.

Try it on an undone project of yours. I know you have one.

If you want a little help, use the Get Around To It Paraliminal. It helps you immerse your mind in images and feelings that align with your values, goals, and priorities—and the benefits of achieving the results you desire. Just like what I do.

You see, using the Paraliminal gets your sensory experience to fuel your will to create! It harnesses emotional power into willful action.

To learn more about Get Around To It Paraliminal and all of our other Paraliminal programs, please click here.