Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello, what do you suggest for photoreading books that require one to do exercises? For example, if I'm reading a book on memory techniques, there will be quite a few sections within the book that requires me to perform some exercises/activities to reinforce the methods/techniques learned.

Also, how would you suggest reading books on learning new languages since I do not understand the words written in the new language that I'm learning?

Lastly, how would you suggest reading books on say, fitness? It would be important to read the book in detail because the detailed instructions will help me to avoid injuries.

What are your suggestions for reading books like these? I've read through the manual once as well as completed disc 3 thus far and it seems to me that photoreading is more about getting the gist of a book and incorporating the knowledge into my "database"? But when I try to photoread using the techniques suggested, it seems to me that the information doesn't register cos I'm kinda "seeing without seeing" due to the soft focus/divergent view technique. Am I missing something/doing something wrong here?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!

Learning Strategies Admin

PhotoRead and activate by doing some of the exercises.

If you want to learn the other language, go ahead and PhotoRead them.

Try direct learning on say the fitness books, books that help you acquire new skills. How to books are good for Direct Learning.

Finish the course. It's about purpose and layers.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you. I have another question...

What is the difference between the preview and postview step? Are the techniques the same? Cos both steps seem to include surveying the book briefly, noting the table of contents, index and formulating questions/identifying purpose. With the exception of finding trigger words in the postview step, both the preview and postview step seem similar to me. Is my understanding wrong?

OP Offline

Also, in CD 4, track 6, MR Scheele mentioned that out of 10 books that are photoread and post-viewed, perhaps only 2 are useful for my purpose. It sounds to me like I don't really absorb the material for the 10 books I photoread but only the 2 books that I choose to focus on?

OP Offline

In addition, may I check if my interpretation of this is correct?

This course teaches the Photoreading Whole Mind System. Under the umbrella of this system, there are 2 types of reading:
1. Whole Mind Syntopic Reading: Where 2 or more books on the same topic are read in order to learn a subject more efficiently and to generate (own) new ideas through synthesizing and integration of different perspectives on a subject
2. Analytical Reading: Where meticulous, thorough reading is required. This is probably done when one needs to study for an exam and is required to remember specific pieces of facts clearly? (However, Analytical Reading seems like the Postview step to me.. So it's kinda confusing.)

Is this understanding correct? Or does the course teach 3 types of reading techniques, with the Photoreading Whole Mind System as the basic foundation and (1) and (2) are built and expanded upon this foundation?

Preview 30 seconds to 90 seconds max. Decide if this book is what you want to read.
Postview 6 to 12 minutes long, build curiosity, check or adjust your purpose form questions

Also, in CD 4, track 6, MR Scheele mentioned that out of 10 books that are photoread and post-viewed, perhaps only 2 are useful for my purpose. It sounds to me like I don't really absorb the material for the 10 books I photoread but only the 2 books that I choose to focus on?

No that means only two books will actually address what you want to know and the other 8 are a waste of time for your needs and PhotoReading has helped you identify those books. If it takes you 4 hours to read each of those 8 books and you find nothing that really satisfies your purpose that's 24 hours of your time gone. Instead you can get what you want from 2 books and even if it takes 4 hours with each of those books you've saved yourself 24 hours by PhotoReading and dumping the books that don't actually satisfy your purpose.

Beauty of PhotoReading is, if you have another purpose and one of those other books address that, you can be drawn to that book to activate later. It's absorbed, and not in the working memory until you activate.

PhotoReading teaches PhotoReading system. Syntopic reading is one way you can use PhotoReading for research writing. [thesis, dissertation, presentations and talks]

Analytical reading is one form of reading it's slowest form of reading on the reading scale. On the other end you have PhotoReading. The activation techniques use reading methods that fall between these two points.

Postviewing use, Rhythmic perusal, skittering or even traditional reading for periods at least. Save analytical reading for last.

Read the chapter on Activation in your PhotoReading book for more on the types of reading.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex, sorry I'm asking so many questions but:

1. In many speed reading courses, the trainer recommends having a pointer to guide the eyes to move faster and take in chunks of words instead of single words. Do we use that during super read/rapid read techniques?

2. The preview is max 90 seconds and I only have enough time to read the front and back covers, table of contents and perhaps the preface. Definitely no time to read the headings in all the chapters in the book. Hence, there aren't a lot of questions I'm able to formulate. Is that right or am I doing it wrong?

3. I realize that when I'm doing the preview, post-view and activation sections, I have a tendency to sub-vocalize. How do I reduce the sub-vocalization during conscious reading? I tried "reading" faster but nothing registers and I get distracted. When I realize I'm distracted, I try to focus my attention using the Tangerine method but I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly cos its effect of reducing my distraction isn't particularly obvious? I get distracted by the fact that I'm trying to imagine a tangerine on my head instead. Does that make sense to you?

4. In every single step of the Photoreading system, we have to be in a relaxed state of alertness (tangerine method and breathing exercises) right? But I sometimes find myself getting too relaxed to the point I feel sleepy! Any tips to overcome that? I'm pretty sure I must be doing something wrong here >.<

5. How many passes do we actually do with the book? What I gathered so far is 6:
During Preview:
once (registers in the conscious mind; only skimming at the front and back covers, table of contents, index, preface/foreword)
During Photoreading:
once with photoreading (non conscious but keep my reading goals in mind);
During Post-view (right after photoreading): still keeping my reading goals in mind:
once with postview - survey (registers in the conscious mind; 2-4min only; only reading perhaps 2% of the entire book - the foreward/preface, table of contents, index and basically have a "feel" of the book - to me, this seems the same as the Preview step just that my goal this time is to identify more structure rather than to determine if the book meets my reading goals, is that correct?);
once to locate trigger words (registers in the conscious mind; 2-4min only; only skimming perhaps 5% of the book - skimming the text every 20 pages or so; once with super reading and dipping OR skittering (conscious but I don't read the entire book consciously; only selected chapters/sections);
During Activation:
once (registers in the conscious mind; super read + dipping OR skittering; only perhaps 50-60% of the entire book is read)
once: rapid read the entire book (this is where I'm confused: is rapid read an optional step? it seems that rapid read is normal speed reading or normal reading. If that's the case, then wouldn't I be spending more time on a book than I normally would since I'm reading at my normal speed here and am spending additional time and effort to complete the previous 5 steps in implementing the photoreading system?)

After activation, to remember the information, it is recommended to do a Mind Map. The mindmap will also serve as a trigger in future to recall the information. Do we employ recommended memory techniques here? For eg, Tony Buzan mentioned that reviewing the mindmap to transfer information to the long-term memory have to be done within 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 30 days and 90 days (something like that). Is this what we should do as well? I'm a little confused on that as well because the Photoreading step is supposed to engage the non-conscious part of the brain and form connections with the conscious mind. Isn't that shifting into long-term memory already?

As always, thank you very much for your kind help and patience. Looking forward to your reply! smile

1. it's your choice. During the PhotoReading step? no you're turning the pages too fast.

2. you don't form questions until postviewing. Previewing is just to check your purpose, will the book suit? Does it interest you, is it likely to have the information?

3. Superread and dip, if you subvocalise while dipping fine, do what works for you. Just be choosy what you subvocalise.

4. Purpose, smile tangerine, - that's enough. Go into the Accelerated Learning state for the PhotoReading step, no need to spend that time for the other steps.

6. See the 5 day test from the PhotoReading book. That's how you 'do' a book.

If you want to remember the information long term, apply the techniques you learned from Tony Buzan. Use it or lose it is how memory works.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex, I tried the Direct Learning Method in the Natural Brilliance book as suggested by you for learning from how-to books but I'm not getting the results I want and would like to seek your advice.

You see, fitness books have instructions on how to perform certain actions and tips on how to avoid injury and how to enhance the efficacy. However, as I follow these steps in Direct Learning:

Purpose
Preview
Photoread
Accelerated Learning State (imagining the future)

I don't have anything registering in my conscious mind in any of the steps above. So when I try to perform the exercises in reality, nothing comes to mind and I don't know what to do. Is there something I'm missing?

How many books have you done and what is your direct learning goal. What skill are you hoping to develop?

What seems missing is the goal or skill you wish to have.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved