Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

The Natural Brilliance book mentioned not to activate consciously for Direct Learning and thus, I stopped at "imagining the future" step. I have done 5 books on the topic (resistance training) and my goal is to put together a training regime that will meet my fitness goals and have the motivation and perseverance to stick to this training program.

So what happens is that when I try to put together the training regime, nothing comes to me. I don't recall the warm up steps nor the different exercises introduced by the book. For eg, there's this tricep curl that the author wrote about, with pictures, how to perform it, recommended reps, sets and time. But when I try to put together my training regime, exercises like these don't come to mind and I feel stuck with as much knowledge as when I completed the Previewing step. I don't instinctively know the exercises to do and I don't know the steps to perform them correctly either... Is my explanation making sense to you? Do you get what I'm trying to say? smile

Learning Strategies Admin

Imagining the Future is a step of Direct Learning. Don't skip it. Activation is working to gain conscious comprehension of the text, skip that. Postviewing and activation are the only steps you skip of the 5-steps when direct learning.

Nothing will 'come' to you because you've not created memory threads of activation. You find yourself doing and knowing what to do or say without having to think too much about it when it comes to results from direct learning. Since you've skipped the important part of direct learning I recommend PhotoReading again, and doing the 'imagining the future', how you would use the information from the book.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry, I've expressed myself wrongly. What I meant was that I stopped after imagining the future. But I'm still not getting to the point where I find myself "doing and knowing what to do or say without having to think too much about it". How can I get there?

You'll have to make a start. Start exercising. You can also PhotoRead more books. You're not limited to just 5 books for direct learning. PhotoRead some more and add a contrast book. (Add a cooking book).

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved