Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87934 09/15/19 12:36 AM
lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I read a series with 12 books[spoiler][/spoiler] approximately 100 - 130 each book. I read about 10 -out of 12 of the books. When I first activated them it took me approximately 20 minutes to do so. I'd look at the toc and think this chapter wants to be read and activate the chapter. Now reading over them again it's taking longer to activate. I did a meditation which I put together with the techniques in the book I'd do it everyday. In it I'd narrate the process of a red fern tree climbing a rock looking for sunlight. Recently when I read the book in the series the meditation helms from I came a cross something I hadn't before. A sentence that describe red fern climbing a rock looking for light.

I was gobsmack mostly at the potential which was there. I could possibly so good a photoreader as to activate a book in 20 minutes. Now adays my problem is that as I super read and dip its as if I dip too much and get less information. And my mind literally screams at me "where's the information!" . How do I get into the zone where I trust my intuition read the right chapters dip appropiately and come out of activation knowing I have the right information?

I've photoread and activated the novel "animal farm" and when rapid reading it I thought it was amazing how fast I went through that book. Now when I rapid read a novel I feel as if when I move my eyes along the sentences I'm not fully processing the story. I was reading a novel and I remember the events of the first few chapters I read but I don't remember the names of characters and, I want to be able to discuss these books with others - particularly well written passages. How do I do that? I bought "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith, "Infinite Jest" and "A confederacy of dunces" I'd like to photoread them especially the 1,000 plus page behemoth "infinite Jest" Please give me your advice on rapid reading!

Hi,

I think much of your challenges come down to your purpose (aka questions you want the answer to). When you ask where's the information! What information are you looking for, wanting to notice, remember?

Reading novels, are you wanting to remember characters? If you want to discuss a novel, what do you want to discuss and how?.

I could tell you the gist of Animal Farm, but I couldn't remember the character names. We do this all the time. Think of a film you saw and discussed with somebody else. No doubt you talked about at a higher 'chunked' level. You gave an outline of the film, not each character by name or specific dialogue.

Rapid Reading is one of the last steps in the PhotoReading process.

Even if you had to compile a basic 'school level' book report, what information do you want to remember? Write down your answers. With a book report you are looking for the answer to specific questions.

When people meet at book clubs etc. Somebody always asks questions to prompt for answers. That's a method of activation.

Why not PhotoRead, Rapid Read,take notes and then compare what you have written down to other reviewers. Watch a couple of YouTube videos or google book summaries.

I think it is a great thing to do when learning the system too. You often find you're not missing too much. Your notes are what is naturally important to you, unless you have questions to answer. If you are missing something important, how can you make sure you include that type of information next time?

D

lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Are you saying to postview novels and take notes that way?

It’s certainly one way. If you want long term memory retention of a novel. I think you’ll definitely need to take notes even if it’s a brief mind map.

If you’re consciously wanting to talk about a novel make your own notes.

lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. Say for instance I want to bring books with me everywhere I go. Can I count trigger words and activate mentally?

Hi,

Yes, you can do that. I often put my trigger words and questions down on my phone. I do a lot of reading on my phone or tablet. Mind maps I still draw by hand. I can do that when I am in a better location.

If you want to retain the information for long term usage, you'll need to write it down in some form. Even if it is brief notes.

Last edited by Drew; 09/30/19 08:19 AM.
lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a hard time remembering my written questions while activating. Also Im having a hard time following the authors train of thought - they often time seem everywhere. And also it takes forever 10-15 minutes for me to find trigger words so it's hard to survey the rest of the book. Finally I feel confused at the end of my activation as there's so much information and I spend too much time in each chapter 20-30 minutes . Any advice?

You might be expecting too much comprehension in the first steps of the process. Save the more detailed reading for Rapid Reading. Continually remind yourself to only seek information relevant to your purpose. Avoid reading the superfluous text. You might like the strategy on page 71 in the 4th edition PhotoReading book "Take the five-day" test. It is great for allowing more incubation time & automatic activation. You might be more confident at the end of the 5 days that you are in command of the information you need.
Enjoy PhotoReading!
Patrick

I've followed the same routine and now I can trigger in 5 minutes. Just practice more.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved