Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88736 06/27/23 08:43 AM
OP Offline

Hi, I'm new to these forums and just started the PhotoReading home study course about 3 weeks ago. I had a few questions if anyone had any experience and could help me out.

So, when I'm activating using super reading/dipping, or skittering, or even rapid reading for that matter, am I supposed to be consciously "getting" anything from the process? Like, is the material supposed to seem familiar at this point? Cause so far, it doesn't. I have yet to have that "gelling" experience I've heard about, and my comprehension of the material is not very high.

Also, am I supposed to be subvocalizing as I scan down the paragraphs? Can I be? I guess I'm just so indoctrinated by the "elementary reading" style that I feel like I can't understand anything unless I'm recognizing the meaning of, and saying the words in my head as I go. Otherwise though, I really don't get anything from just moving my eyes across the words quickly.

Lastly, with creating a mind map, how am I supposed to do this if I have no comprehension of the book yet? If mind mapping is a method of activation, and by the time you come to this step all you have are trigger words and questions, are we just relying on spontaneous activation (like it just occurs to us as we try to make the mind map)? Or are we skimming through chapters, finding bold headings, using the table of contents, etc. to create it?

Thank you for any advice you guys have, and have an awesome day!

James

Hi James,

Welcome to PhotoReading!

You will get conscious knowledge after super reading & dipping or skittering (some, not a lot) and more after rapid reading since at times you are slowing to a regular reading speed. If you are not comprehending enough, it is possible that you don't have a clearly defined specific purpose and only reading text to satisfy that purpose. Also, you didn't note mind mapping in your first question. Be sure to include that process in activation. You can super read or skitter the text several times prior to the rapid reading step. See the exercise "Take the five-day test" on page 71 in the PhotoReading book.

Subvocalizing is normal. Most of us do it. Better to create a picture of the text. Read the section "Cultivate the eye-mind connection" pages 92-93 in the PhotoReading book.

Before mind mapping you will have also super read & dipped or skittered to give you more conscious knowledge so you are not just relying on spontaneous activation. Maybe re-read the sections in the PhotoReading book on super reading & dipping and skittering. It seems that you are not slowing down to a regular reading speed at any time during these processes.

Enjoy PhotoReading,
Patrick

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved