Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88796 11/21/23 04:44 AM
lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I've photoread a 500 page Kindle ebook and activated it in 20 minutes and got the comprehension I wanted.

This occured several times in a row for me with different books.

Then I photoread a 390 page book and it was five separate books in one. It was about writing. It took 2 hours and I still don't have to comprehension I wanted.

I felt that it was too pack with information;so I when was activating instead of super reading and dipping the table of contents ; I'd look at the TOC and try to logically guess what I needed to know.

And instead of super reading and dipping I'd start reading in random areas ; then I thought it best to go from beginning to end of the chapters in the book. I started activating towards the end and planned to go through the beginning.

There was a lot of depth of knowledge; and I know my issue can be summed up as poor activating skills -notably super reading and dipping ;but I felt so overwhelmed with the massive amount of information that I thought I'd never achieve the comprehension I want .

How do you activate something that's just jammed packed with information, examples, and bullet points etc.?

When photoreading works for me l; I'm super reading and dipping the TOC; I'm super reading and dipping pages finding where I need to read and I'm not reading whole paragraph as I find that author tend to; put information in the first sentence of a paragraph, put supporting sentences in the middle the summarize in the ending sentence. The author's train of thought - though authors may differ I found this to be true for most books. It feels as though I'm being led to the answers I usually pick one question to ask ; and then one such as "what else do I need to know?

Should I have post viewed the five books I just did the first book though I went through (glossed by ) TOC of the whole thing.

What should I have done?

And finally novels I can rapid read a novel and I'd be making great time where I feel I can enjoy the novel and be done with it quick.

There was a book "Whale Talk" where I was rapid reading and I wasn't really reading the novel consciously but I was seeing the story. Yes I remember the main character TJ Jones and the whole first swim meet etc. But for some reason I put the novel down.

And now whenever I pick up a novel or piece of it's as if I can't rapid read them, and it feels as it would be impossible to finish them and I just see a blur of words passing by.

Also I don't remember my purposes, and I can't remember the books I photoread just a little of some from my more successful photoreading experiences.

So how can remember and get the comprehension I desire?

I also don't always make mind maps but when I see them they work for me. But recently one was so packed with information I didn't remember everything on it but they're other mind maps where thinking about it brings the information back -maybe because it's a chess mind map.

Oh and I like to make digital mind maps and to be honest the mind maps I remember were on paper.

How can I remember them?

Anyways I hope this novel of a post is fine with you. Lol.

lupek2 #88797 11/21/23 06:47 PM

For the first book, PhotoRead and activate the 5 books separately, using all 5 steps through rapid reading. Create 5 separate mind maps. Maybe super read and dip each book more than once before rapid reading. Add to your mind map after each super read and dip.

Regarding novels, PhotoRead then rapid read. Setting a purpose is optional for novels if time is no issue.

Regarding remembering mind maps, keep in mind 100% comprehension is not a realistic goal... just in case you are going there.

Study your mind maps in shorter sessions if finding difficult to remember. Actually playing chess would be the best way to activate.

lupek2 #88798 11/22/23 12:55 AM
lupek2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you.

Last edited by lupek2; 11/22/23 12:58 AM.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved