Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9970 08/24/04 08:04 PM
Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

It was almost a year ago, that I went to the LSC retreat that was the basis for the AFL course. There were 8 exercises in advance of the retreat to help you develop 6 goals for the retreat.

I was getting ready to do a Goal Setting and Strategy Planning, and Activity Scheduling so that I could manage the several areas of my life that I'm currently working on. As I prepared for this effort I retrieved a journal I kept for the retreat and others items. In it I found my two (not six) goals I had for the retreat.

One was of those goals was to raise my level of mastery of PRing to a very high level. The other was to increase my ability to connect with, communicate with and influence people. During the retreat and immediately after I had a lot of success with the second goal, and had forgotten about it and moved on.

While at the retreat, I gained guidance I have been following ever since the retreat. I have been working towards this goal and supplementing work on my PRing goal with my other activities. The PRing has fallen from number one to maybe number 3 or lower. However, I know that everything I'm doing now is of direct value for my PRing goal.

Anyways, it was the communication goals I wanted to talk about. When I saw the goals I had set I remembered the feelings I no control or power I often felt in those communication / negotiating situations. When I remembered those feeling I said "Wow, I've come a long way. I've done almost everything on that list". That the really neet thing, I hadn't been looking to work on that goal, but by following my internal guidance I've have been fulfilling it.

When I reflect on the two goals I'd set, it's the communications goal that has the potential for the greatest personal richness. It is the one that has been achieved first, eventhough my conscious mind had placed it second.

Getting back to the guidance (internal) that I received at the retreat. I've followed that guidance. Initially it was with a strong pursuit of re-experiencing something I had felt at the retreat. About a week ago I experienced that sensation for the first time, while involved in the activities identified by my guidance.

So this may not be the billion dollar win-falls that some people expect to find when they start AFL. Also, I'm not saying that you can't find that within AFL. What I'm saying is that by going through the material at the retreat and following the resulting guidance, my life has become much more rich.

I don't know what value this may have for anyone, but I've always found that sharing has provided me with great rewards.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

It has been a very eventful year for me since that retreat too. My goals have taken different priorities too and yet there is still progress toward them.

It certainly wasn't a path that I had set out in my imagination. In a sense the course taught me to let go and get out of the way, to quit trying to swim upstream and as a result I am seeing progress toward my goals and experiencing the process with much more joy and ease.

Thanks Iam2.

Alex

Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I've wondered about the sharing thing. Recently I've started to think of it as the fearless child learner. As a the optimum learner you don't free taking action or expressing yourself. You just do it and gain the feedback the universe has to offer.

Post like this one above, have no real function for me except to allow me to open up. Opening the channel for information to flow freely in both direction.

AlexK, you probably notice the increased posting rate I went through when I finished the retreat. It was a great learning time for me. I still continue to learn at leaps and bounds, but the process had something to teach mean too. There is as much information in the process as the product. That's to say there is much to learn in how as there is in what. (Michael I hope you recognize that I'm finally reading that book you leant me)

I can see that the openess I'm developing about is a good thing for my PR goal. I've always known I would be approaching my PR goals indirectly, but recently I see how it is coming together. I feel safe in saying I will have reached my PR goal within the year. In fact, I think it will begin to happen in the next month or two.

Thank you all for listening.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Iam2,

I appreciate you and Alex sharing your experiences because I gain insights on the process, where I'm at, and my next step. Plus, I just want compliment you, Iam2, on your excellent written communication abilities.

Best,
Richard

I was at the course last year, too. The major goal I set for myself was to increase my level of service to my university so that I could increase my level in the organization (I wanted to be an Assistant VP) and my financial rewards.

A lot of new challenges and projects started coming my way almost immediately, and my ability to handle them and to help others handle their challenges began to increase as well.

Yesterday I was named Assistant Vice President for the University of Houston and Assistant Vice Chancellor for the University of Houston System (an unexpected bonus). A nice salary bump as well.

And I've been having so much fun I may have to hire someone to help me enjoy it.

Brian

Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Great Brian! I'll have to check my roster and the picture. On the last day of the retreat, I looked at the group photo and was able to put a first and or last name to almost every single face in the picture. Which for me is quite extraordinary for me. It also ties in with my goal for connecting with people.

I was going to frame, my certificate, photo, yellow ribbon, but lets just say an open window a lawn sprinkler and water based ink on the certificate changed those plans. However, I still have the photo and scan the faces from time to time and remember that week.

I've used what I learned on that retreat everyday, and have progress down the path I saw then.

Brian, have you started working on another goal now that you've gotten the first?

You are perfection.
Iam2

[This message has been edited by Iam2 (edited September 07, 2004).]

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved