Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi folks,
I'm studying for a PhD and as you can imagine, the reading is very intense.
When looking at some of the textbooks, much of the information is either irrelevant to my chosen subject, or very peripheral.
So to get the most important information I have to be selective in what I read.
Now, here's the question: Do I have to photoread the entire book anyway and postview the relevant parts, or do I preview first and decide which chapters are relevant and only photoread those?

Thanks in advance,
Best wishes,
David.

Hi David,

Paul Scheele recommends that you Prepare/Preview and PhotoRead the entire book, even if you will only be manually activating a portion of the chapters within.

If there is a piece of data or information within the "outside" chapters that you are not planning to build layers of comprehension very, very quickly at a conscious level, you will still automatically draw upon that knowledge while you are activating the chapters which appear to be the most relevant to your purpose.

If time is very limited for spending on that book, go ahead and skip those chapters that you know in advance you are not going to activate in step 5, and PhotoRead everything else.

Dana

OP Offline

Many thanks Dana, that's cleared it up for me.
Mind you, some of these texbooks are so technical that I only understand one word in three, so maybe my non conscious mind wil help me out here :-)

Best wishes,
David.

I would check and see if there is a formal dictionary on that specific topic. Then, Prepare and PhotoRead that dictionary once day for 4-5 days.

As you continue with the textbooks, as you come upon a term you are not familiar with, go look up the word and definition right away. Having PhotoRead that dictionary, you'll "burn in" a new connection between your visual conscious mind and the place in your non-conscious mind where you absorbed that pageful of text while flipping a page per second.

Adding each new word to a mindmap will help you commit the new word and definition to long-term memory.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved