Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am preparing for the world's toughest exam called 'UPSC' or Indian civil services exam.It requires you to read newspaper everyday with great depth.
I usually take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete a newspaper with traditional ways. I want to reduce this time. I had already photoread 3-4 books and still trying to master it. But the newspaper makes me ambiguous as to how to proceed on it.
In our traditional method, we select and read relevant news as per the exam's syllabus. So sorting and selecting is not a big issue. What takes most of our times are those "Editorials". We usually read 5-6 editorials in a daily and always struggle to skim through important lines.
Please tell us a way as to how to proceed here.

You can prepare, PhotoRead, Postview as you would a book.

Activation, select articles that you have to read or those that you are attacted to.

For articles I'd suggest you read the 1st and last paragraph then super-read and dip or skitter the rest of the article.

Newspapers are great, because a story starts today, continues tomorrow and ends on another day. They often have recaps, bold quotes etc.

Depending on your requirements, PhotoRead (Prepare, PhotoRead, Postview and Activate) several different newspapers. You could then mindmap several different points of view on the same story or topic.

I did the above strategy to read multiple back issues of a magazine called the Economist. I had to have a discussion with several other people as part of an interview process. I hadn't missed anything and was able to take part in the process.

You might also be able to find audio recordings of what you need to cover too.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved