One thing I have found annoying about speaking out loud during image streaming is that either I have to slow down the images, or that I cannot really describe what I am seeing because by the time I have started describing one thing, it has already turned into something else.

For instance, if I am seeing a triangle or pyramid, the words I used to describe them (aside from the most simple or broad terms) will start to bring in other, more foreign feeling images. That is, what is going on definitely isn't my verbal description of it. I can really see how, as in art classes, the "idea" of something interferes with our perception of the "actual" thing. When drawing a cup you can either draw the cup as it is (essentially a bunch of abstract shapes) or draw your idea of a cup.

Having to verbalize feels like mental constipation. The part that is generating the images is zooming along and doesn't want to slow down for the verbal descriptions.

I have always thought that verbalizing your image stream aloud was supposed to create some link between the visual and linguistic/auditory parts of the brain. If it is just for reinforcement, then I can do that with my desire to see what I am seeing, because it has a very different quality than simply my everyday semi-conscious image stream. It is much more intense ... especially if I use the photosonix (L/S machine).

Any thoughts?