I'd have to talk really, really fast. We're talking faster than an oily used car salesman, here. Faster than an auctioneer.

Having it more firmly in your memory via verbalizing makes a lot of sense. I did notice that I had more of a tendency to remember that which I verbalized.

I do not doubt the benefits of verbalizing what is going on. It just sucks because it is particularly hard for me. It just doesn't feel right. It feels like I'm gumming up the works, if that makes any sense.

What I might try to do is write instead of speak, I believe I could do that. Afterwards I could make a run through and then verbalize what I saw to the best of my ability.

You know ... it just now occurrs to me, I have had this same problem in writing fiction. There is language and style and the direction it wants to go in (some styles lead directly to certain kinds of images and feelings) and then there are images and feelings and the stories they tell ... or the scenarios they generate. Often they are divergent (for me).

When writing poetry I typically have a feeling and/or images and have to wait for the right words. Sometimes I'll write down a phrase or sentence and go, no ... that's not it. I then have to wait ... eventually the words come. Sometimes it's quick and clear, like a cut diamond ... and other times it's like things growing up from under a swamp ... more organic and meaty than intellectual.

I am beginning to see here that there are variations on this method that might lend themselves better to personal tastes. I don't know if they'll lead to the same results ... but it may be that people in the tradition of poetry have been doing this a lot longer. Hurm. Maybe it isn't so much about technique as it is process.