Pretend that there is no soul.
Pretend that there is no "right" or "wrong" person. And if there were, by which metrics would you measure them?

If you live in the universe where there is no soul and no right or wrong person in a metaphysical sense, then you are left to your own devices and get to make your own choices. Life becomes an experiment and you get to learn.

You don't have to live up to being Mr. or Mrs. Perfect for so-and-so, and you don't torture anyone else by expecting the same for them.

I believe it gets to a point where you either decide you want to spend your life with someone or not. And, of course, there are other choices for the iconoclastic.

According to some, we are not biologically geared towards mating for life. It seems that a close nit group of lovers with whom you maintain relationships while, perhaps, every so often induling in the brief affair outside of these would be ideal. You all support and love each other and give each other the freedom to be who you are and choose as you wish.

That, for me, would be an ideal ... it sure beats affairs and deception, which is the reality for a lot of people.

There are people who mesh very very well, and that's great. But most of the time, I think, people get drunk on their own biochemistry and think things that just aren't true about themselves and others.

Basically, you become intoxicated with someone for around a year or two, then the effect wears off. Hopefully, you realize after that time that you are happily addicted to the other person and spend time enjoying them rather than seeking that initial rush that courtship gives.

Feeling you have to find a soul mate just puts a horribly unnecessary pressure on you and can end up really screwing things up. It also can freak out another person and put unwanted pressure on them.

You might miss out on really fun relationships if all you go for is Mr. or Mrs. Right.

There may be no Mr. or Mrs. Right, only people with varying amounts of chemistry with you.