quote:
Originally posted by Jeanne:

I don't think it's fair to call someone a fraud when, in fact, it might be just your own reaction to the product. I think these things are more personal.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my bad English and typos, I am not an English speaker, Whether an advertisement is fraud or not has nothing to do with my personal experience with the product, it has nothing to do with your personal experience either, it's all about the fairness, objectivity, and the law. Here are some excerts from FTC ruling regarding a similar claims for brainwave entrainment cds and related devices by a compny (Zygon) in 1996:

....is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act, do forthwith cease and desist from representing, in any manner, directly or by implication, that the use of such product or program can or will have any effect on the user's:

A. Health or bodily structure or function, including but not limited to sleep; weight, bodyfat content, or body shape or tone; immune system; eyesight or night vision; stress; or jet lag; or

B. Smoking behavior,

unless at the time of making such representation, respondents possess and rely upon competent and reliable scientific evidence that substantiates such representation. For purposes of this Order, "competent and reliable scientific evidence" shall mean tests, analyses, research, studies, or other evidence based on the expertise of professionals in the relevant area, that has been conducted and evaluated in an objective manner by persons qualified to do so, using procedures generally accepted in the profession to yield accurate and reliable results.

...is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act, do forthwith cease and desist from representing, in any manner, directly or by implication, that the use of such product or program can or will have any effect on the user's cognitive or mental functions or skills, including but not limited to reading, vocabulary, learning, foreign language, verbal or math skills; intelligence or I.Q. or that of the user's children; attention or concentration levels; or memory, unless at the time of making such representation, respondents possess and rely upon competent and reliable evidence, which when appropriate must be competent and reliable scientific evidence, that substantiates such representation.

...is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act, do forthwith cease and desist from making any representation, in any manner, directly or by implication:

A. Regarding the performance, benefits, efficacy, or safety of any food, drug, or device, as those terms are defined in Section 15 of the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. § 55, or dietary supplement, unless, at the time of making such representation, respondents possess and rely upon competent and reliable scientific evidence that substantiates such representation.

B. Regarding the performance, benefits, efficacy or safety of any product or service (other than a product or service covered under Part III.A herein), unless, at the time of making such representation, respondents possess and rely upon competent and reliable evidence, which when appropriate must be competent and reliable scientific evidence, that substantiates such representation.

[This message has been edited by Fear Not! (edited February 03, 2005).]