It is a fairly common experience for people who meditate at some point during their meditation to reach a state in which they feel as if they are going crazy.

An intense amount of mental and emotional pressure builds up. Your awareness is bombarded by thoughts and feelings that feel quite beyond your control, and it can literally feel as if you're going nuts.

One of the goals of meditation is to still your mind. When you quiet down and observe, you'll notice a whole bunch of stuff, a lot of thoughts that feel like mental garbage, that you may not have realized was there. The mind chatters incessantly. It can get really, really intense.

One Zen Master said it's like a ball of molten lead is stuck in your throat, and you cannot swallow it but neither can you spit it up.

It seems the people who are into holosync like to use the label "overwhelm" to describe this phenomenon ... and to describe the state of a person any time he or she disagrees with Centerpointe. It's kinda like saying, "You're not evolved enough to handle your emotions, so that's why you disagree with us."

They believe that the holosync signal actually introduces a greater amount of "chaos" into the brain or mental system of the listener. The experience of overwhelm supposedly indicates a critical period of crisis in which the system has been infused with more chaos than its current configuration can tolerate. In order to compensate the brain "evolves" into a state of greater complexity in order to cope with the new amount of chaos bombarding it.

Taken as a metaphor, it might have some bearing on what is happening. But here we see the misapplication of an idea in one field of endeavor to explain (probably incorrectly) what is happening in another.

(There should be a show called "When non-scientists think they're scientists." It should have footage of people like Bill Harris going on about their half-baked ideas, and then have them torn apart and revealed for how mistaken and naive their misapprehensions are by REAL scientists. I'd love to watch that show. There were varieties of them on HBO and other channels, but they didn't have real scientists, just magicians like Penn And Teller.)

The original concept had to do with physics and chemistry. We're talking about billiard balls hitting one another. We're talking chemicals and molecules. This stuff is great for a model to explain and predict the activity occurring in this realm.

As John Grinder has pointed out on several occasions, applying rules of physics to the domain of the mind and living systems is where a lot of stupidity occurs. Here we have a prime example of it, and because of it Bill Harris is laughing smugly in his evolved state all the way to the bank. The only chaos he has to worry about is what he's going to do with all of his money ... or how much ridiculous marketing he's going to bombard people with this month.

Physics can explain the behavior of a soccer ball when you kick it. But it cannot do much to explain the behavior of a dog when you kick it. The ball will follow a trajectory based upon the forces acting upon it in a way that can be mathematically computed. The dog? Well, it might go forward a little bit, then might come back at you and bite you in the kinnikies. Or, it my curl into a ball and whine miserably. Same thing with the mind of a person when you apply force in some way to his body. Apples and oranges.

Prigione's idea is being taken out of context. Supposedly the use of binaural beats introduces "chaos" into the brain. Whatever. There might be a certain level of isomorphism between Ilya's idea and the events during holosync sessions that makes a person go, "Hey, that sounds like what goes on when I'm listening to my $100 cd!" Only, hmmmm, the same thing happens with traditional forms of meditation. So whatever gobbledygook they say about sound frequencies can be thrown out.

The problem is that people have lost the quotes (and their skepticism and sensibility ... as well as their money). They forget that the whole thing's just a metaphor in this instance. Are the brains of people who use holosync more evolved? I doubt it. None of the people here have exhibited any savant-like abilities. Though some sure do like to believe that they are on a higher level of existence than others. I guess you could consider that some sort of ability.

The only real chaos holosync infused into my brain came from the realization that I paid good money for the crap.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited October 18, 2004).]