In terms of sponsporing moral relativity, maybe not such a good idea, but in terms of personal emotional freedom, maybe a good one.

Notions, while not always 100% "positive," can serve useful functions for individuals.

Is it absolutely true that Bill Harris is scamming people? Well, I am not God, so I cannot say that it is universally true. Is my thinking scamming me? Sometimes, yes.

All in all, my decision about it is, well, I enjoy discussing the issues. I enjoy seeing what comes out of myself and others as we butt heads. I enjoy the thrill of both positive and negative emotions involved in the dialogue.

My mom and I have friendly arguments a lot. We disagree with each other. My dad leaves the room because he can't "stand it." We, supposedly the ones being contentious with each other, just look at each other and laugh. The process actually deepens our relationship. We know where each other stands, and can feel each other more clearly by establishing where the boundaries are.

If we're all sitting down for dinner, we'll stop so that he can eat in peace. But in contexts like these, forums, I don't think of it as inappropriate.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited October 27, 2004).]