MindSurfer,

My bias is towards using traditional meditation techniques. I am certainly not the most experienced in this regard. Shr33m has a wealth of experience in this area, and his advice would probably be better than mine.

That being said, pick up The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson or one of the works of Patricia Carrington on Clinical Standardized Meditation.

Just because something is touted as an amazingly effective modern technology does not mean that it is any better than tried and true methods of meditation or even that it will give you what it promises to deliver.

Just investigate various forms of meditation and find one that fits for you.

I've gone from using a mantra to simply being mindful of a mental pulse that occurs within me. I found that the mantra would always sort of be digested by my mind and end up as a sort of pulse. So, I just do directly to that pulse and be mindful of it. After a while, the pulse goes away and I am simply mindful of whatever is going on in an acceptant manner.

I don't think you need to rely on tapes. And I think that the notion that binaural beat CDs or tapes are better than traditional methods is a bogus one.

Traditional meditation taught by whom? What forms? Because someone has had trouble with a form of meditation and found holosync to be better does not mean that holosync is better than traditional meditation techniques because it is a "better" or "more precise" technology. It just means one kind of meditation didn't work for someone (for whatever reasons) and that holosync did. Ok. I would think that users of holosync in some cases will find themselves graduating from it to more traditional, established methods with a long and rich history.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 30, 2004).]