NLP has helped me a great deal.

It has helped me improve my relationship with my mom, which was on the rocks a long time ago.

It's helped me gather my resources and recoup in times of duress.

It's helped me prepare for public speaking events.

Most of all, I think, it has helped me get in touch with resources in the depths of my being. I do not think I would have been able to go in and find them without NLP. Other techniques simply didn't work for me. I was using hypnosis and trying affirmations for a very long time. I tried visualization. It was only NLP techniques that offered a very immediate response from within myself that I could attribute to the technique I was using. That is, it worked immediately.

I think I have internalized a lot of NLP stuff (such as language patterns, and, despite my contentiousness here, rapport in person) so they really aren't techniques anymore but unconscious aspects of my behavior.

When I was going to therapy with a therapist using NLP, we used perceptual positions an awful lot. At the time it didn't help as much as it could have, but it laid the foundations for changes in my life that would not have occurred without that work.

The thing about NLP that I really like is that you can get immediate results with it. It is something that is not based on faith. It is not something you have to do for years in order to see a result. You do the technique, and you get your response. It's immediate.

Some techniques don't seem to work with me like other people, but that's neither here nor there.

For a while I felt a bit like a magician and an evangelist for NLP. Anyone who was willing I'd do a technique with. It was an interesting way, too, to get to know women at college. You could show them something that would affect the way they felt immediately, and it created an aura of magic around you.

Another effect of the training at NLP Comprehensive was that for the first time in my life I felt deep in my bones that anything was possible. I really felt there was something better in life for me than what I was living and that I could do it, I could reach it.

But it wasn't just NLP that did that, it was a combination of the training and the wonderful people who attended it. I've never met a more interesting and ecclectic bunch in my life. Luckily, there an abundance of people who actually were what many people pretend or want to be.

That is, there were bonafide energy healers there. There was a guy who spent years in India under gurus and did LSD therapy while over there. There was a woman who was one of the best reframers I've ever met. Within three phrases she could totally turn my thinking around no matter what, and she'd have me smiling and thankful that she did. It was really amazing.