babyada:

"I think that Richard Bandler may very well be afraid of the results of a study testing his product against the placebo effect.

Giving someone a rousing, conventional "self-help" seminar(but telling them that it is NLP) may have a surprising effect.

How much of it is from expectation, a philosophy, personal investment (in terms of both money and ego), and a result of social influences? Probably an awful lot.

This isn't saying that the technology doesn't do anything, it obviously does. But I bet you dollars to doughnuts that a really good study using the placebo effect will show that some people get real results without the "meta-programming", "re-patterning", or any of that.

I think the results of such a study would be pretty bad press for Richard Bandler and NLP. Some people may say "to hell with it" and just start going to Zig Ziglar seminars, or simply spending an hour or so of quiet time telling themselves that they are a winner."

Seriously, I obviously don't agree with this point of view, but I don't agree with YOUR point of view either.

Before you tell me why I'm wrong, why don't you show me your proof that Richard Bandler and NLP is anything more than a conventional "you-can-do-it" approach??
You don't have any, other than the certainty of the experiences and benefits you have received from NLP in your life.
That is why the whole schema and theory of it is real to you and meaningful...not because of something you read in "Scientific American"...

The thing is, I don't doubt your experiences; I just don't want you to doubt mine with holosync either.