Actually I think he was trying to buy a higher level on ebay, but was unable to, apparently because CRI informed ebay about the licensing materials it now distributes with each new set of CD's.

If Centerpointe wants to restrict individuals from re-selling their CD's, then that is their prerogative. However, IMO it should be incumbent upon them to inform potential buyers of this, before and not after they make the purchase.

Can an agreement like that even be considered legally binding, if the customer isn't informed about it in advance, or isn't required to sign something?

I know I would be a little surprised if I bought a music CD, and then found a message in the liner notes telling me I couldn't re-sell it at a used CD shop..!

As far as the ethics of the situation are concerned, I do agree that it is unethical for someone to duplicate and/or make the exact content of the Centerpointe CD's freely available, for instance by copying and posting a complete level on a P2P site, or distributing/selling CD copies of the original.

However if someone has purchased a level, then resale IMO is just as honorable an option for them as it was for CRI to sell the material in the first place.
Like I said, if CRI wants to legally restrict that, fine, but the customer should be given notice of this before and not after the fact.

[This message has been edited by garics (edited November 18, 2005).]