When looking at a candidate you should take numerous factors into consideration. Some being trust, credibility, and do your views agree with the candidate. I chose Bush. The reasons were simple. In credibility, Gore has baggage. The ice tea incident, the tobacco flip flop, the abortion flip flop, the impeachment flip flop and the selling of the vote for the tort lawyers and the Gulf war. All these go against Gore.
The next issue is trust. Gore's use of polling data to fine tune his stand on issues leads one not to trust him. A leader should lead even when the polls are against him if he knows he is right. Impeachment for the crime of perjury was correct, but the polls said not to do it so the Senate w/o leadership caved in.
The next section is similar views. I support limited government and I don't have a paternalistic view of government. This also goes against supporting Gore.
In foreign policy, the last 8 years of mishandling nuclear secrets, giving the Chinese secrets for votes, and the bombing of the asprin factory are not the views I share. Our current energy problem is a direct result of policy mismanagement, blocking our coal fields so China can gain economically, curtailing our oil refinement, and the ratcheting down of standards based on dubious CO2 numbers.
On the home front, the usurption of the Constitutional checks and balance system is also something I don't support.
The last thing I will say is that sometimes you have to go outside the mainstream media to find the truth. If you want to check out the real news read foreign newspapers and check out differing views, then make up your own mind.
It is like the PR system play with it and test it against your regular way of reading, then decide.