quote:
Originally posted by Sidis:
ckerins: Though I have yet to encounter anyone that I would be willing to say has more intellectual potential than me (keyword: potential; raw 'talent'), I'll reluctantly acknowledge your point of view and refrain from attacking any specific members of the board.

Since you mentioned High IQ societies, I'll take this opportunity to say that I've made it a point to avoid them at all costs, though I've scored high enough to qualify very easily for each and every one of them(except the Giga Society - if you can call P.Cooijmans' little club a 'society'). Besides the obvious facts that IQ scores are easy to improve, which negates their value, and that they only test one specific mode of thought (there are an infinite number of them; none more valuable than any others), the people who choose to JOIN these clubs, I find, are individuals who have self-esteem issues and seek out the companionship of like minded (close-minded!) people in order to comfort themselves. Understandable, but irritating nonetheless. That's a generalization and those tend to get me in trouble, so I'll save myself by saying that there ARE a rare few that can't be placed under the label of 'pseudo-intellectual'.

Anywho - I'm not picking apart grammar so it seems as though I win the argument, even though I'm not presenting anything substantial. I'm stating the simple fact (hehe - I've already layed down my hand because I've hinted that I believe in multiple truths, illuminating to all that I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, but I'll continue to do so, anyway!) that if you consume vast amounts of information, you WILL 'copy' the form in which it is presented to you and replicate it when it comes time for you to present your ideas to others. There's just no real way around it..

Lots of people on this board are smart - no doubt. At the same time, though, lots of people (usually the most adament supporters of the system) seem to be playing with a little less than a full deck, if you know what I mean.

Just looking for verification that the techniques work. I'm not devoting my time to something that doesn't work - too lazy.

To Sidis,

This is rather an interesting post!

"...I've scored high enough..."

"Scored" is a verb and "high" is an adjective. Didn't anyone ever tell you that you can't use an adjective to qualify a verb? You must use an adverb, so if you were as literate as you claim to be, your text should read, "...I've scored highly enough...". You obviously don't know the difference. What an embarrassing mistake!

"close-minded"?

Well, this seems to be a word of your own invention, probably intended as an antonym of the expression "open-minded". What you don't seem to realise is that "open" can be used as a past participle. For example, you can say, "The door is open", but you would say, "The door is closed", and not, "The door is close". Your phrase uses "close" with the meaning of, "near to" whereas I suspect that your intended meaning was something else. Never mind! Let's not split too many hairs!

"Anywho"

If you are going to quote somebody you really need to use inverted commas.

"layed"???

That's an interesting one, isn't it? Maybe you mean "laid". That is the past participle of the verb "to lay". It's not looking good so far, is it?

"adament"???

Surely you mean "adamant", don't you? Perhaps you are the one who needs to use "the ol' spell checker", as you put it!

I'm not going to pull your text apart at the levels of style, cohesion and coherence. I would, however, suggest that you think twice before you make snide remarks about someone else's use of English, especially as your own knowledge of fundamental grammar and spelling leaves so much to be desired!

[This message has been edited by GRAMMARIAN (edited September 29, 2001).]