SDSUBio,

I have no way to digitize my notes! They are all on paper - I'll look around on the web for a good example for you some time.

sd430,

I learned mnemonics from the Memory Book by Harry Lorayne/Jerry Lucas and so I use their systems plus whatever I make up. I probaly read over 25 books on mnemonics and they are all the same in techniques overall. The other book worth mentioning is Your Memory by Kenneth Higbee to know the why's of memory.

I pretty much use combinations of the Link by association system, with substitution when needed especially w/ numbers/letters, also the Peg system. I'm a visual person so I'm not very inclined to use word mnemonics but they are also useful.

For classes I use the link by association method because that is how most class go. To be more specific I make one link of main ideas that I connect together. When the teacher branches off those main ideas I start another link with the main idea as the "head". I'll show a graphic representation (hope it displays correctly on your screen!). The horizontal line is the main idea link (0 being the ideas, ignore underscores they mean nothing other than to make sure graphic displays correctly) and the vertical lines or the branched off ideas.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0
__|_|___|
__0_0___0
__|_____|
__0_____0
__|
__0

Then when I make a memory map I just have to go over the link with the branches. That is usually enough of a cue for my memory to remember what the professor said about a topic.

sd430, Do you have experince in mnemonics? It would be great to hear if you any systems not in the normal books!

[This message has been edited by chaosadelt (edited September 16, 2001).]