Tim, I could totally envision myself writing what you just wrote five years ago!

we just need to stop putting off our lives and actually live them.

I half agree. If alcohol is taken to run away-->bad, obviously.

If alcohol is taken to ‘enhance’ a social experience, then you are not ‘putting off your life’, you are engaging fully in the here and now. 100% in the moment, 100% unself-consciousness, focusing entirely and utterly on a conversation, for instance. How much greater is the focus! How much greater is laughter! How much more sincere are the emotions! Further, I happen to have great contempt for the ‘reasoning conscious mind’. Slight alcohol shuts that down just enough so that a primitive flow state ensues accompanied by pleasant sensations. Not only that, but is it desirable to ‘always’ be out there either improving yourself or changing the world? Break time is good time! ...to an extent. But to what extent?

this culture just has this escapism complex, be it alcohol, or television

The answer to the question of ‘moderation’ or ‘balance’ had eluded me for some time. Specifically, with television, sex, alcohol, computers, and a even self-improvement addiction. Do these activities have any redeeming qualities?—are they wholly evil? Of course not. When do the benefits of these five things outweigh the detriments? THAT is the question.

if we are all looking to improve our lives,

What does this mean to you? Learning and Mind stuff and accomplishing great things... all well and right and good. But emotional health and social connection are JUST as vital to leading the good life!

especially through learning, is alchol the best way to achieve that? If not, then does it hinder us?

Let me ask you this then... ready?

Hypothetically. Say someone offers you a drug that would make you a veritable genius...a Master PhotoReader. The drug, however, has some side effects. Those side effects are EQUIVALENT to drinking one or two beers a day in brain/liver damage.

Do you take it?

My answer? Pragmatism in all things.

Do the benefits outweigh the detriments?
(or as Paul says, ‘will this ultimately bring me greater peace?’)

Tim, I think what you say jives well with both your age and your idealism. In time though, I think you can expect that rigid belief to almost certainly fade into something slightly more moderate.

as they say... "cheers!"
Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited February 02, 2001).]