Hello,
I've personally tried Ginkgo biloba and it did have many positive effects in my short term memory and long term retention of information. Now, I am using Vinpocetine along with a lower dose (1 (50) mg 24% Ginkgo capsule) per day. I am trying to find and use an alternative to Ginkgo. Mostly, because of the effect Ginkgo has on blood flow, not only to the brain, but to the rest of the body, which could cause some serious issues to your bodies ability to react properly(clotting agents not being as effective)in an emergency.
As to Gino's comments, I've also read positive feedback on Piracetam as shown in his post, however, since you must order it from outside of the US, I think this is the reason for cost being steep. I will try Piracetam eventually, but have many things on the burner now as it is, to make a proper comparison of what I am taking(cheaper) with piracetam(expensive). If it works the same for me, I'll definitely look after my wallet!
If you do a google search on either or all of these items including 'nootropics' you'll find plenty of reading material on Gingko and alternatives.

Be good to your brain and your mind will thank you!