I’ve had the home study course for a number of years now and have tried many times to get the system to work for me. I have an enormous belief in myself and my mental abilities but for some reason I’ve been unable to experience anything but minor successes with the system. These minor successes are limited to the dictionary game. I also believe that this system is the best substitute for traditional reading which we all know has been the same for hundreds of years. As a developer in the computer industry I’m constantly bombarded with new and better ways of doing things which I have to agree are, for the most part, better. This makes it easy for me to accept that there must be a better way to gather information from written material than we’ve been using for ages. I think you probably all agree with me so far.

Now, applying my instinctive logic to the system I’ve come up with the following conclusions.

Previewing – fine, seems like a very sensible step. Check what the book’s about, get an idea of it’s contents, it’s angle and style.
Trigger words – hmmm, OK, I accept this but as yet can’t see the point.
Summary – yes, accepted.
Purpose – definitely a good thing. I think we’ve all experienced a success in something when we really had a reason to succeed.
Relaxed state – yes, everything physical and mental is easier when the body and mind is relaxed.
PhotReading – well that’s what I bought the system for. Now, I like many others would love to be able to do just this main step and then know everything that’s in the book. Many people have said this is just not possible. My view is ‘anything is possible’.

Activation – as others on here have asked, ‘why?’. Why is activation necessary? I’ve read that it’s to bring the information into the conscious mind. I want it in the conscious mind when I need it. This step is done in a number of ways most of which involve reading the text again USING TRADITIONAL READING METHODS. This is the bit I feel is wrong. If I’m reading using the ‘old’ style how can you say it’s coming from the subconscious or long term memory? It’s coming from the pages of the book that I’m reading.

I hope I’ve missed something because this step is a major block for me. I need to be convinced preferably in logical terms why reading using the tradition methods is still necessary.

I apologise for going on at such length but I truly believe this system works and that the problem is mine. I also think that I’m not alone after all I’ve seen many posts on here from techies like myself who want to learn things and learn them fast. Not read fast but learn fast.

As an incidental point I think maybe PhotReading should be renamed so it doesn’t have the word ‘read’ in it. I think the name implies a different method of reading whereas I like to think of it as speed learning or high-speed information gathering.
Comments anyone?