It would be easier if you did PR within the RG steps. They seem to fit right in there.

I think that both courses are specific tools for specific types of reading. We wouldn't use a hammer to try and get out a 5mm allen bolt.

My problem has always been I always want a high level of detail and to understand as I go so as I learn more it's always on a foundation of what I learned before. I think PR is *ss backwards but for some people that's exactly what they need.

All reading systems (without any exception, PR, RG etc) in my opinion are a knee-jerk reaction to the amount of garbage that is thrown in our face nowadays. If you have to do allot of research for any reason, which is just weeding through the junk to get at what you need, I think that any and all reading systems are fine. But once you've found what you need you can't "speed-learn" it. If you have a strong purpose then find several books that cover it in detail and thoroughly instead of shallow books with "90%" fluff.

There's a difference between "reading" and "understanding." Reading is easy. You can read slow and not remember anything and you can read fast and not remember anything. For what it's worth it's better to read fast if those are your only 2 choices. But "understanding" is different.

In language schools (not like I'd really know but I've heard from people that went) they always use the term "tourist" level which means the bottom of the barrel level of knowledge. "Where is the bathroom" "Where can I exchange my money" etc. It's all literal and surface communication. The other term is "UN Translator" in other words "what does this group really mean and how can I state that in a way where the other group will understand it?" It's the highest level of understanding a language.

Fast reading can only give Tourist level information. It's gathering info, it's research reading. You are not reading into the information, you are going after what you want. My main concern has always been "what is this author going to tell me that I don't know?" That's what I want, new stuff. I like the uncertainty and confusion because it means I'm learning and not rehearsing.

Besides, who told us we have to read fast? Chances are it was an advertisement. It took me 2.5 years to figure that out and I'm glad it didn't take me 25.