Dan, Image streaming is one way to go. Since intuition is really a vague sensation of your body or mind telling you something. Understanding what the sudden images that appear or how you feel when you think about something are the messages. Problem is we were taught to largely ignore those messages. Often when successfully do act on our intuition we refer to it as having had a hunch. Or had a 'gut feeling' or say a 'little voice' told me or I saw it in my 'minds eye' or even just 'somehow I knew'.

When using intuition to grab your insights on a book. In order to get in touch with those senses you need to get relaxed. Use the tangerine technique and then go to your favourite mode and ask. For the Feeling sense... How does this make me feel, describe the feeling. (write it down) Say if you feel amused, sad, excited, aprehensive etc.
For Hearing mode... ask What was said in the book and then again just describe or write down what your inner voice is saying. Everything, even if it seems out of place, write it down anyway. For the visual sense... Ask what pictures come to my minds eye... if you can write it as you see it do that, however you might prefer to just describe it out loud. For getting into touch with just knowing... Ask What do I know about this book (or what do I think I know about this book) again write it down let it come in any ideas or thoughts.

By starting with your favourite mode you become freer in getting answers from the other modes. Do a check in all the modes. You never know what you might find. While writing it down at first might seem annoying it provides a written record of your hits and near hits in understanding your intuition. You'll be able to drop it soon enough once you discover some success with your results. The questions I suggested are only starter questions you will probably develop your own.

Alex